Bloat

Help Support Steer Planet:

gilbert07

Every morning when i go out to feed my heifer she is bloated...she is eating the straw and i cant figure a way to keep her from eating it...i was just wondering if there is anything you can put on the straw that will make her not want to eat it or would giving her more hay help too?...thanks

CAB

Her eating straw doesn't have anything to do with her bloating, in fact it is probably helping her out. She wants that roughage to scratch her tummy. Long stem coarse roughage is best. Is the hay that you are feeding have very much legume type forage in it's make up. Please use the search function here on the planet. You may find some useful info. You need to  try to get her bloating figured out B4 it is too late. Good Luck. Brent

gilbert07

it is grass hay so maybe that is why she is eating the straw ...it shows to put baking soda in their feed...how much would i use for 9lbs of feed?

CAB

Is she on free choice hay? If not, she's just eating the straw to get full. I would start with 3Tbs fulls baking soda mixed in good with her feed.You may ck with your feed supplier to see if they are adding any bicarb already to your ration. You may want to feed some "bugs" to her also. Bloat is usually a side effect to something not being quite right with her digestive system. Brent

Camo

Our steer was bloating on feed with cottenseed hulls. Took that out and gave some corn oil  that seems to do the trick.

herefordfootball

Most oils will get things moving in the stomach. Mineral oil, vegy oil, just to name a few. We tried some of sullivans bloat drench and that stuff is lethal. It worked within 5 minutes. I'd recommend it for at shows when you gotta take the bloat down fast.

GoWyo

herefordfootball said:
Most oils will get things moving in the stomach. Mineral oil, vegy oil, just to name a few. We tried some of sullivans bloat drench and that stuff is lethal. It worked within 5 minutes. I'd recommend it for at shows when you gotta take the bloat down fast.
Sullivans bloat drench is lethal to the bloat not the cow, right? :eek:

herefordfootball

GoWyo said:
herefordfootball said:
Sullivans bloat drench is lethal to the bloat not the cow, right? :eek:

LOL yes :) It clears bloat FAST!!!!!! GREAT PRODUCT!!! Guess I shoulda worded that better lol

farmershane3

we had a steer bloat up constantly on us last year and we started putting his grain on top of a couple flakes of hay in the trough and that worked real well for us.