Blood In Calf's Stool

Help Support Steer Planet:

showstick09

I have a bull calf that is 7 1/2 months old. I keep him in a lot because I just weaned him two weeks ago. Yes, curse me for falling behind on my job. For the past couple of days his stool has been a little loose, but this morning I noticed blood in it. The first thing that came into my mind was coccidiosis, but other than the bloody stool he seems so healthy. His appetite is normal, he's playful... or maybe am I judging this all too soon? Please help me.  ???

kanshow

You can take a sample in to have it diagnosed but my first thought is coccidiosis.  They can have it and not actually appear sick.    You are probably catching early stages of it now .. since he still acts & feels good. 

fluffer

I had a bull calf that was just a little younger then yours develop coccidosis when I was getting them (cow/calf pair) ready for a show.  He had blood in his stool.  I got a sandwich baggie, scooped some of the pooo up and took it to the vet.  They looked at it and said he had coccidosis.  I got some of that Corid (I think that is how you spell it) and put some in his water and in the rest of the show strings water.  Never had trouble after that.  We treat our feeder cattle for it too with the  same stuff.  Some guys have systems where they can flush it into automatic waterers.  As long as you catch it early you should be fine... Let us know how things turn out and good luck!

Fluffer

sawboss

I believe I saw in a post you were from the Carthage area.  More than likely you use chicken manure for fertilizer on your pasture, here is your culprit.  Take the above advice and treat with Corid for cocidiosis.  The blood  will be on top of the manure and around the bottom of the rectum and have a mucus slime with it.  This is due to the fact that the parasite is causing the lining of the lower intestine to slough off.  Follow the instructions on the bottle for treatment, also administer to all other penned animals to prevent infection.  The parasite will remain in the ground dormant for quite a while, so you will need to doctor all future calves housed in this area.  Hope everything works out for you, we have been down this road with several of our show animals and all has been well.