Bloody Manure

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

I got in 5 steers and 3 heifers  on sunday. They are all herefords and right now they are all penned together. I went out this morning and noticed a pile of manure with blood on top. I looked around and found two more piles. It isnt blood scours, the stool is pretty firm but i am worried and was wondering what might cause it and what i should do. I read the site that red posted yesterday and it talked about it a little. I was going to seperate heifers and steers today anyway, so i will figure out if it is a steer or heifer and then i will seperate into smaller groups from there.

sawboss

More than likely it is Coccidiosis.  Get liquid Corrid and follow the directions for 5 day cure.  Once you have it on your place, you will probably always have it in the future.  We have had two steers and a heifer have it.  Blood is runny with mucous due to the slipping of membrane of intestine.

Show Dad

I am assuming from your post they have had a change in locations. Stress can cause many things with blood in the manure being one. Could it be that one of the heifers is in heat? Change in diet might be another problem too. Grassy hay and plenty of water plus observation would be my suggestion.

With all that said it could be disease.

renegade

When we went to pick them they were moved several times. First we picked them which is stress in its self then they went on the trailer to go to the upper barn to be weighed and then back on the trailer to come home. We found out one heifer wasnt registered and so we had to seperate her off the trailer. Then they came home and that was done. I do think one of the heifers is in heat. There hasnt been a big change in diet but they werent drinking a lot of water the first few days

kanshow

If one has it, they've all been exposed so my advice is to treat all of them.

CAB

You can break the cycle of coccidiosis by feeding for treating in the water for 28 days the recommended amount of drug. I always used to get calves eating then feed a preventative level for 28 days. You won't have to worry about that group of cattle again. You could give these calves sustain 3 boluses then do the 28 days either feed or water, which ever one is easier to do for you.

chambero

If your feed has Bovatec or an equivalent in it that also officially acts as a control against coddiosis.  I don't know if it will cure it or not though once they have it.  Corid for sure will.  We haven't had a case since we started using Bovatec in our feed.

red

I usually always feed a starter feed w/ some decox in it. Just is a good safety preventive measure.

Red

kanshow

We start with decox and then move the cattle over to bovatec and seem to keep most of it under control.  Like a pp said, it will still break on bovatec but not too common.

renegade

I havent seen any fresh bloody stuff but i will keep a look out. The calves are doing real well, you can walk up and pet most of them now and the didnt have much human contact until we go them home on sunday so they are doing ok. Thanks for all of the help so far.

doubled

I was always told years ago to make sure you try and keep the mud puddles at a minimun, drinking from muddy water can cause that from what I remember,
sometimes for some reason calves like to drink from puddles.

renegade

There arent any mud puddles where i am keeping them... maybe where they were before. But the other day i had just filled up their water containers and had moved onto the bull when i realized that the hose had leaked (were the hoses connect) onto the area where i was feeding their hay ... making a little puddle... and this heifer was drinking it as fast as it was going on the ground, yet she was the closest to the water trough!  :D