blue heeler matings

Help Support Steer Planet:

worthabit

I have a 3 yr old heeler I am thinking of breeding but there are no males close. What would a heeler/border collie mating be like?  An explosion of energy waiting to happen? haha. I have heard that "horgi's" (heeler/corgi) are becoming popular. Any comments?

cowcrazy

I have a heeler/aussie mix that is the best dog I have ever owned.  She will work cows and take care of possums, coons and snakes. The other night she had a porcupine cornered in the garage, and never got a quill in her. She is great with kids and makes a super watch dog.  The only slight problem I have with her is taking her to the vet.  I have to muzzle her because she gets a little angry!

brenn

You can't go wrong with a corgi cross. I have a 4 year old "Borgi" (border collie x corgi) that is the best dog ever! He's super smart and very loyal. The corgi seems to mellow them out a bit. He too has to be muzzled at the vet (lol)

linnettejane

cowcrazy said:
I have a heeler/aussie mix that is the best dog I have ever owned.  She will work cows and take care of possums, coons and snakes. The other night she had a porcupine cornered in the garage, and never got a quill in her. She is great with kids and makes a super watch dog.  The only slight problem I have with her is taking her to the vet.  I have to muzzle her because she gets a little angry!

i will second the heeler x australian shep mix...i had one and he was absolutely the best!   super guard dog and very protective of family and property...i would love to have another one someday...mine was the kind that people sat in the driveway and blew the horn to have you come outside before they would get out of their vehicles....he hated cars that would turn around in our driveway...i watched him through a window of the house one time jump up and try and bite a guy who had his window rolled down and arm hanging out the window that was turning around in our driveway....we had him for 4 years when i went out one morning and found him dead laying in the driveway...i think someone hit him...

braunvieh

Where we are...the heeler sell much better bred straight to other heelers. The mix with border collies do not seem to be as popular. I have a heeler and a corgi and love them both and they are very different. Crossing them may make the perfect dog!

LostFarmer

The straight heelers I have had are a little hard headed.  They will listen if it is their idea but otherwise you might as well yell at the fence post as it will listen the same.  The Heelers are hard headed enough that a kick will never slow them.  The BC I have had are great in the listening and attitude but they tend to be a little timid when a cow is on the fight.  Right now we have a little dog out of a Heeler x Aussie male and a BC female.  She is just a year old and going to be a good one.  Smartest dog I have ever worked with and wants to please.  She is has the potential to be one of my lifetime dogs.  She loves the kids but took a bite out of my brother when he tried rough housing with one of my boys.  Only time she has ever taken a bite but she let him know to leave her "herd" alone.  Barks when someone pulls in but stops on command.  I have had good and bad of most of the herding dogs but this mutt is a peach.  LF

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
We have a 4 year old border collie x blue heeler female  , any one can use , not professionally trained ,bails on 4-wheeler an ready always to go to work ,an will go with any body an do just as good a job,very disclplined ,have a blue heeler pup fro0m Belgium semen an he is alot esier to handle than any of the blue heeler males I have been around ...tHE heelerxcollie worked for Mr. Roecker one day an he tried real hard to tke her home but part of the family ....The one thing  about her  I had to teach her early to use the heeler part rather than just herding but now she does both ,we did have her spayed an they tend to get a little fattier with age ,but he hasn't stopped her so far ,an love the idea she doesn't bark,an I don't know whether the blue heeler learned from her but he barked as a pup an never bother now ....My son has a Aussie female that is a lot more aggressive , but worry about her with kids an the vote in my family would go to Foxie ( the heelerx collie cross ) an I know there are other good dog's of other crosses ...Just like the heeler we have he is the easiest
handling an quietest one I have ever been around an I have had 4-5 heeler ,good dogs but made a lot of uneccessary noise ....

worthabit

Freddy said:
We have a 4 year old border collie x blue heeler female  , any one can use , not professionally trained ,bails on 4-wheeler an ready always to go to work ,an will go with any body an do just as good a job,very disclplined ,have a blue heeler pup fro0m Belgium semen an he is alot esier to handle than any of the blue heeler males I have been around ...tHE heelerxcollie worked for Mr. Roecker one day an he tried real hard to tke her home but part of the family ....The one thing  about her  I had to teach her early to use the heeler part rather than just herding but now she does both ,we did have her spayed an they tend to get a little fattier with age ,but he hasn't stopped her so far ,an love the idea she doesn't bark,an I don't know whether the blue heeler learned from her but he barked as a pup an never bother now ....My son has a Aussie female that is a lot more aggressive , but worry about her with kids an the vote in my family would go to Foxie ( the heelerx collie cross ) an I know there are other good dog's of other crosses ...Just like the heeler we have he is the easiest
handling an quietest one I have ever been around an I have had 4-5 heeler ,good dogs but made a lot of uneccessary noise ....
Is there a way to stop the barking? Mine does that when she goes to work them and I can't seem to get her to stop.

LostFarmer

I hate a barking dog.  I try and discourage it from birth.  I think it is the way they work cattle the heelers are drivers and tend to bark and bite to move livestock.  Collies herd with eye and tend to want to fetch the cattle back to you.  I have found the real trick is learning where to put me to get them to put the cattle where I want.  Most of a dog barking is genetic and then learned.  If they bark when they work it will be hard to discourage the barking without discouraging the work.  Does she bark at other times or just when working.  I would work to quiet her other times and see if it will cross over.  A radio collar can be a good training tool.  LF

colosteers

We have had several Border Collies, that were smart and handled cattle with brains (maybe more brains than me).  These dogs got old and both died or old age, 14 and 17 yrs old.   

So my dad decides he wants something more aggressive and gets him a red heeler x border collie.    Well this is where he got alot more than he asked for--    this dog has got to be the most nuerotic, spazzed out of control mutt ever born.    This dog has no herding, driving, or border collie brains-- what so ever.  All this dog will do is bite--  if it moves, its going to get bit--  such as tires, water sprinkler, opening or closing gates, the shadow of a bird flying over, grass hoppers, pitch forks, shovels, dumping feed from a loader bucket,the feed ya throw off the tail gate of a pickup for the cattle, and holy hell if cattle are involved.  I just cant explain this enough to give the true experience of a day with this dog.  Is there such a thing as puppy prosac?

I know that one dog should not condemn a cross of breeds, but be careful, ya mite create a weapon of mass destruction.   

I am going to stick to the timid border collies.  The worst I ever heard about Border Collies was that you have to watch them, that if your kids are asleep and they cant heard your kids -- they will herd your furniture.

good luck and have good one

LostFarmer

Our older heeler is as you describe but as she has aged she has mellowed.  But bark at, bite on, and chase any thing that moves.  The collie while full of energy is happy to be with you always.  I always tell people that think they want a BC that if they don't give the dog a job the dog will make up a job.  Our pup has to be engaged or kenneled or she is causing trouble.  Named Shiner after the black eye. LF

Attachments

• IMG_3547.JPG
    IMG_3547.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 269

trevorgreycattleco

I have a red heeler and he is 10 months old and he listens great. When I say off he quits and he follows me everywhere. Rides the gator, rides in the truck and even goes to work with me some days. He has chewed everything he can get ahold of, my Rocky boots, my flip flops, my fleece, several hats. He does it when i leave him at home. He runs loose all the time and never runs off and is great with my son. The chewing I chalk up to being a puppy but overall he is a great dog. I have a corgi, a aussie shepard and a Rottweiler. The rest of the dogs don't care to do much but the heeler is awesome with workin the cows. Worthabit if your close to Ohio, you can use my male if you want. He is papered and all that jazz.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
For you members trying to figure a way to stop them barking my son used a shock collar a few times an he got him to quit barking most of the time ... He also got one of those shock pens or they have a certain are to stay in an he moved to a new place an she doesn't bother the road at all an all the neighbors have dogd chasing car ... She pretty much goes all over the place but she knows her boundaries an stays in them ....

worthabit

She doesn't bark very much just when someone drives in or she gets excited. Other wise she is really well mannered and great with kids. The only time she ever chewed anything as a pup was when I left some envellopes to go in the mail on the steps in the back porch. I could honestly say "The dog ate your cheque" (lol)

I will try the shock collar.

Trevorgrey, thanks for the offer but unless you want to come on vacation to Prince Edward Island, Canada (did anyone watch Regis and Kelly last week) and bring your dog, I will look for one closer ;)

DLD

Don't know that you'd have any luck finding a Catahoula Leopard on Prince Edward Island either, but we have a Heeler x Catahoula cross that's almost 16 years old, and she's by far the best dog I've ever had.  Never any training at all in herding other than following me around all her life, but she learned quick where to be and what to do.  Just as well mannered as can be, listens well (or did -  her hearing isn't quite what it used to be) and when the kids were younger she was their constant companion and guardian anytime they were outside.

We've also got a 10 month old Heeler x Lab that doesn't act like either one.  He's really sweet natured and laid back, but as far as I can tell he's completely void of cow sense.  Seems to be a good cross for a companion pet, but not a herder.

gatorbait

See I have just the opposite of opinions. I find Border Collies to be stupid hard headed and spastic. Heelers tend to be a little calmer in my opinion. Best dog we ever had was a border collie heeler cross. Sire was a spastic collie dam a little pudgie heeler.

worthabit

DLD said:
Don't know that you'd have any luck finding a Catahoula Leopard on Prince Edward Island either, but we have a Heeler x Catahoula cross that's almost 16 years old, and she's by far the best dog I've ever had.  Never any training at all in herding other than following me around all her life, but she learned quick where to be and what to do.  Just as well mannered as can be, listens well (or did -  her hearing isn't quite what it used to be) and when the kids were younger she was their constant companion and guardian anytime they were outside.

We've also got a 10 month old Heeler x Lab that doesn't act like either one.  He's really sweet natured and laid back, but as far as I can tell he's completely void of cow sense.  Seems to be a good cross for a companion pet, but not a herder.
Not to likely DLD, I'll have to do some research on those leopards.  Never thought about breeding lab, maybe I should consider the companion dog route.

Latest posts