blue heeler matings

Help Support Steer Planet:

worthabit

gatorbait said:
See I have just the opposite of opinions. I find Border Collies to be stupid hard headed and spastic. Heelers tend to be a little calmer in my opinion. Best dog we ever had was a border collie heeler cross. Sire was a spastic collie dam a little pudgie heeler.

I am with you gatorbait, I see collies the same way.

Aussie

gatorbait said:
See I have just the opposite of opinions. I find Border Collies to be stupid hard headed and spastic. Heelers tend to be a little calmer in my opinion. Best dog we ever had was a border collie heeler cross. Sire was a spastic collie dam a little pudgie heeler.
I don't know what you guys have done to these two breeds but over here BC if trained early and from a cattle strain not a sheep trial strain (with to much eye, will hide behind every blade of grass before they get to the cattle ) are great intelligent dogs. If not trained they are mental and only good for digging holes and dog jumping contests. Healers will only push cattle in to yards (thats it) bite car tyres, bite bumbers from cars, bite bull buyers and insurance agents. The last and the first good the rest bad. In Australia more dog bites are recorded from heeler and heeler crosses that any other breed.

colosteers

Aussie--  I assume that you are an Australian,  got a quick question for ya?     

Let me explain this and then I will ask---  back in the 1980's, there was a breed of dog that became quite popular here for a while as a cattle dog.  They were called a Dingo and were supposed to be the wild Dingos from Australia.  Thier popularity soon vanished and I think the confusion from the crossing with heelers soon took over, and there is little to none left that I know of.  My experience with them was that they were quite hard headed and were normally only good for nothing but a flat out chase and hope ya could call them off.    Pretty mean tempered too.

So my question is--  is there any Dingos domesticated in Australia and used as cattle dogs, or was that just attempted here in USA?

Hope to hear from ya and have a good one

Aussie

Colosteers. I have not heard of dingos used as cattle dogs they are very hard to domesticate let alone train. The story goes that the early Kelpies had some dingo in them. Dingos are of slight build like a kelpie not thick set like a heeler. As you can gather from my posts I am not a heeler fan but have had some great collies and kelpies and would have to agree with RW and Beefy that kelpies are the best dogs. Although my grandfather who used to trail dogs and drive cattle to sales would always say if the pressure came on a kelpie would let you down. Not my experience but he had some very good dogs.

ROAD WARRIOR

Genetics are very omportant in stockdogs. My Kelpies have all been either out of imported dogs or one generation out from there. There are also geneitc lines that are sheep dogs and some that are more cattle dog bred. I've never had one quit me, one had a partially crushed wind pipe, two of his toes cut off and a tooth kicked out that tore his gum clear into the sinus cavity, but he never quit working. He was a heck of a dog, I would hate to guess how many thousands of dollars I spent on him putting him back togather, I know it was over three grand +. RW

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I had a kelpie that was a pretty good dog but he found a cute neighbor dog an kinda liked her an so I didn't know how to keep him home so the neighbor
took him an then taught me something I didn't know, the dog started leaving his place an so he cut him an I don't think that dog ever left the place again ...

SEA

Had a Blue Heeler x Aussie cross male, looked like a Heeler.  He was pretty massive and broad chested for most Heelers  Best dog I ever owned  But after he was over 10 years old started getting ornery, wouldd no longer always obey or come, bit two strangers coming in drive-way and I could not "call him off", as I always could in the past.  I have Grandchildren here all the time.  Had to put him down. 

Now have an eight month old Heeler/Aussie cross (cow dog families).  Looks more like an Aussie, slighter framed, yet taller, long heired, colored like Aussie.  Sire was an Aussie, dam was a Heeler.  Pretty good so far, but too young to know.  Seems friendlier an more socialable than Heeler,  More spastic or air headed than the "old dog".  Chases birds, bees, butterflies and bites my wifes flowers off the stem in her rock garden (this is NOT good).  Hopefully, this is still just "puppy stage" and he will grow out of it.  Also, I did take him to the vet and had him castrated at approx. five months of age.  Seems very smart and I can tell he has some of the "instincts.

LittleHeifer

where do you live. I have purebred blue heelers. I have had several litters and they are great dogs. several sadly have been stolen from people because purebred non inbred blue heelers are very saught after. With the biting and chasing and barking you have to teach them from birth not to do that. They dont all work by biting. barking yes they tend to at times but if you work with them and train them they wont. both my male and female work quietly and dont bite or bark. our puppy works quietly they are taught that way because they often work around horses and learn that barking scares horses. In my opinion I would breed her to another heeler. and work with the pups from birth. they will quickly become some off the most lovable dogs you have ever met, but they work like no other dog I have seen

Will

DLD said:
Don't know that you'd have any luck finding a Catahoula Leopard on Prince Edward Island either, but we have a Heeler x Catahoula cross that's almost 16 years old, and she's by far the best dog I've ever had.  Never any training at all in herding other than following me around all her life, but she learned quick where to be and what to do.  Just as well mannered as can be, listens well (or did -  her hearing isn't quite what it used to be) and when the kids were younger she was their constant companion and guardian anytime they were outside.

We've also got a 10 month old Heeler x Lab that doesn't act like either one.  He's really sweet natured and laid back, but as far as I can tell he's completely void of cow sense.  Seems to be a good cross for a companion pet, but not a herder.
I have a healer Catahoula cross dog.  I got her as a puppy in 1996.  When she was younger she was too aggressive for me( she would nip at strangers) She was always real good at setting in a gate hole and only letting out the cows or calves I would tell her to let pass.  Makes working cows really easy.  She is my 7 year old constant companion and I am certain she would die for him.  We have had strays dogs (pit bull) come in the yard and she pays them no mind till Ryan comes out them she will try  and kill them.  Now she does really well with people. Ryan has taught her to heal his show calves when he is leading them and they act stubborn.  It will be a very sad day when we lose her.  He is trying to teach a corgi pup to help but he only helps when he wants too.  He is a great companion with a little bit of cow sense.

SeannyT

Have a blue healer/border collie cross...pretty useless around the cattle. The blue healer in her seems to go for the heals in one instance, and then she'll turn around and go for the head like a collie. Friendly dogs but not working dogs from my experience.