Blue Roan Simmentals????

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

Yea, me either Mark. Some I recognized, like the Drake cow and Remington bulls, but there is also some similarity in pedigree to the bull I found with the same name on the ASA site.

chappy6655

http://issuu.com/lewisfarms/docs/section_1_for_issuu      link to breeders sale catalogue, you should see the color of the other purebred blue roan.  LFE BISS LEWIS 448A reg#788868 looks like his EPDs are at the top of the game for WW and YW. I like his look, if anyone buys him and has some semen I would buy some if Simmis are not going to be their original color why not blue.

mark tenenbaum

chappy6655 said:
  http://issuu.com/lewisfarms/docs/section_1_for_issuu      link to breeders sale catalogue, you should see the color of the other purebred blue roan.  LFE BISS LEWIS 448A reg#788868 looks like his EPDs are at the top of the game for WW and YW. I like his look, if anyone buys him and has some semen I would buy some if Simmis are not going to be their original color why not blue./// I agree-both of the blues are very good in thier own right-and the Shorthorn influence sure cleaned up the Fleck look-IE-the elongated head-and huge leather. These are some incredibly stout bulls-but some of them look like they ran headon into a frieght train-when you look from thier head on. O0

trevorgreycattleco

ALTSIMMY 79 said:
To each their own but I sure wouldn't want any blue roan simmys for anything ! That's a Shorthorn trademark that should be left with the Shorthorn breeders period ! Nothing wrong with them but it won't ever be happening here. Sometimes I believe the " hodge podge " factor goes way too far.

Right there is the problem. Just because he's got some shorthorn characteristics you flip your lid. That makes me giggle. Simmental are just angus to me anymore. I bought dummy's off a guy in 2001. They sure as hell weren't black. But they were good. It's a shame really simmys have morphed into this hybrid breed. No breed character anymore. I can't tell a angus from a simmy half the time unless it has a white face.

cbcr

Right there is the problem. Just because he's got some shorthorn characteristics you flip your lid. That makes me giggle. Simmental are just angus to me anymore.

I think that this can be true of some of the other breeds too!  It used to be that you could tell each breed by their look and color.  Now when you go to a show, if it wasn't announced what breed was showing it would be hard to tell.

With the Simmental, there is an increase in popularity of the Fleckvieh because of their purity and the hard work that the Fleckvieh breeders have done to keep the purity.  The Fleckvieh are primarily from Germany and Austria and semen is available on a number of bulls.  There are several breeders in the US and Canada as well.

Breeders really like their Fleckvieh cattle.  We have the Composite Dairy Cattle Registry (yes also the Composite Beef Cattle Registry too) and the Fleckvieh are a dual purpose breed both milk and beef.  We know of one person that bought a some Fleckvieh that were running as beef cows and he started milking them.  They are quite adaptable.

The Fleckvieh is an excellent animal for cross-breeding.  In the US their is a Fleckvieh organization, the Fullblood Simmental Fleckvieh Federation (FSFF) and their website is http://fleckvieh.com/

If anyone is interested in other sources for Fleckvieh semen, let me know and I can post some links for distributors.

mark tenenbaum

Those blaze face simmis I see dont look like Angus or Shorthorns to me-much stouter and thicker-But the Shorthorn crosses shown here are much stouter and alot cleaner fronted  looking than some of the Angus Simm crosses-and are as as thick as the clubby Shorthorns-which have more or less dissappeared with out a viable replacement. The Blue roan cow pictured in the sale catalogue is as good a female of any breed as Ive seen in awhile-and shes out of one of those freaky stout Fleck looking cows.There are also some real stout blue cows showing up in club calf sales,as doners etc. Looks like a major change to me:and a good way to stouten up hardoing Shorthorns-other than the bWS.which would surely be high on line bred-Solution type show cattle. The most interesting 3/4 version bull Ive seen is the Ohlde bull-which is 1/4 fleck-and appears to be much bigger than the other Proud Leader clan members near and far. O0

ty378

If you cross a lion and a zebra I bet the offspring would have a Maine and strips, today's simmentals are so far away from there breed it's not even funny. Now they have blue roans. Have you ever watched a simmental show up in canada they have every colour shape and size in the ring. One day they will regret getting away from there breed

mark tenenbaum

trevorgreycattleco said:
ALTSIMMY 79 said:
To each their own but I sure wouldn't want any blue roan simmys for anything ! That's a Shorthorn trademark that should be left with the Shorthorn breeders period ! Nothing wrong with them but it won't ever be happening here. Sometimes I believe the " hodge podge " factor goes way too far.//// Thats a Shorthorn Angus or Gallaway Trademark-so when you make simms black-THEY ALREADY go back to Shorthorns-All Angus are descended from Shorthorns-Sorry about your bad luck-but I still like the red diluted Simms better anyhow.

Right there is the problem. Just because he's got some shorthorn characteristics you flip your lid. That makes me giggle. Simmental are just angus to me anymore. I bought dummy's off a guy in 2001. They sure as hell weren't black. But they were good. It's a shame really simmys have morphed into this hybrid breed. No breed character anymore. I can't tell a angus from a simmy half the time unless it has a white face.