blue shorthorns

Help Support Steer Planet:

corlekd

does any one know of any good blue roan shorthorn bulls.

friend is looking to breed to a blue

thanks,
Kayla

doubled

Not to be stupid but what do you cross to get a blue shorthorn??? :)))

olsun

A pure Shoethorn can never be blue roan. To get the blue roan color, you must have the black gene. Any breed of black cattle when crossed with a roan gene shorthorn has a chance to be blue roan. If the black animal has a red gene, you may get a red roan or a solid red. Same cross may also yield a solid black. Hope this helps a little.

showsteerdlux

You can usually expect a blue roan when you breed a white shorthorn to a black cow. Usually most common in Shorthorn x Angus calves.

ELBEE

We have a (clean) Double Stuff son out of one of the best black Gelbvieh cross cows I've ever seen.

Where are you located, Kayla?

doubled

olsun said:
A pure Shoethorn can never be blue roan. To get the blue roan color, you must have the black gene. Any breed of black cattle when crossed with a roan gene shorthorn has a chance to be blue roan. If the black animal has a red gene, you may get a red roan or a solid red. Same cross may also yield a solid black. Hope this helps a little.

Yep it helps, I love those things, they are so pretty, so what if we cross our white shorthorn with a black cow???

cpubarn

When I have been breeding and looking for "blue roans"  solid white x solid black will give you about 100% chance of a "black roan",  but a light roan x with black white face (socks, or belly) will give you less chance of a roan, but one that will look really "blue"  The Bluest one's weve seen are bulls colored like double stuff crossed with a black and white simi.  I think they are cool, but I fear my son is more worried about color, than quality of cow...

Mark

garybob

cpubarn said:
When I have been breeding and looking for "blue roans"  solid white x solid black will give you about 100% chance of a "black roan",  but a light roan x with black white face (socks, or belly) will give you less chance of a roan, but one that will look really "blue"  The Bluest one's weve seen are bulls colored like double stuff crossed with a black and white simi.  I think they are cool, but I fear my son is more worried about color, than quality of cow...

Mark
He'll make a GREAT order-buyer, one of these days! ;)

GB

Jill

justamom said:
olsun said:

Yep it helps, I love those things, they are so pretty, so what if we cross our white shorthorn with a black cow???

We flushed Vegas (White Shorthorn) to Black Dice (Black Maine) and got 6 out of 6 blue roans