Bluing shampoo stained my calf purple today!

Help Support Steer Planet:

blueshorthorn

I left Sullvan's stain buster on him for too long today and his knees, flank, belly and sheath are a pretty color of purple. This has never happened before! Will it eventually go away?

mick rems

yes it will go away being that its purple it may take longer. usually with stainbuster its more blue or green. i can see bright lights turning cattle purple. when it does come out it should be way whiter. however in the meantime keep rinsing and washing with regular shampoo and make sure you get some conditioner on those spots so it doesnt burn the hair.

blueshorthorn

mick rems said:
yes it will go away being that its purple it may take longer. usually with stainbuster its more blue or green. i can see bright lights turning cattle purple. when it does come out it should be way whiter. however in the meantime keep rinsing and washing with regular shampoo and make sure you get some conditioner on those spots so it doesnt burn the hair.

Thanks, I'll put some revive on him tomorrow.

mick rems

i would actually do mane and tail or people hair conditioner on the wash rack just gob it on and let it sit on his spots. it works the best.

RidinHeifer

Give him a WASH, not rinse.  Regular shampoo will be better but use whatever you have.  If it happens again, you should wash the spots immediately again and a lot of times it will get it worked out.  That is why I don't use stain buster on their whole body

mick rems

RidinHeifer said:
Give him a WASH, not rinse.  Regular shampoo will be better but use whatever you have.  If it happens again, you should wash the spots immediately again and a lot of times it will get it worked out.  That is why I don't use stain buster on their whole body
not using stainbuster on their whole body works. until u have a all white heifer that rolls in every pile she can find. ha.

linnettejane

i have 3 white calves this year, needless to say, been going thru alot of the bluing shampoo, i think the trick is to put it on, and rub it into a good lather, then let the lather sit for a couple minutes...if you dont lather it up and just let the blue/purple sit, it will stain that color

im having a terrible time with the front knees though, cant get the stains out of them for the life of  me...anybody have any good tricks for getting that yellow stain off the knees? 

mick rems

linnettejane said:
i have 3 white calves this year, needless to say, been going thru alot of the bluing shampoo, i think the trick is to put it on, and rub it into a good lather, then let the lather sit for a couple minutes...if you dont lather it up and just let the blue/purple sit, it will stain that color

im having a terrible time with the front knees though, cant get the stains out of them for the life of  me...anybody have any good tricks for getting that yellow stain off the knees? 

2 yrs ago i mixed ms. stewarts blueing in with people conditioner and gobbed it on. and just let it sit. scrubbed it in really good. wiped off some of the excess. didnt rinse, blew them out. and then a couple hours later i'd take the calf out and rinse it all out and then do whitening shampoo again. worked pretty good. granted heifer was more smoke so it didnt matter as much as this yrs. that is pure shorthorn white and that is why u paint legs haha.

cpubarn

I like using a foamer, especially with the purple soap.  I also like liquid/gell oxi clean for those white ones, to help whiten those dingy spots/cows...

It always seems the white and red neck roans with tons of white are the "pigs" that like to lay in the "Mud".  The black ones usually sit on the top of the stalk pile high and dry....

Good luck with your calves...

Mark

OH Breeder

You might try white vinegar. Sometimes it will remove color.

Yellowing- we use the liquid spray oxy clean. Spray let it sit and condition afterwards. It does a pretty good job of removing yellow.

RidinHeifer

True!  It is always the white ones that feel the need to be filthy.  Luckily I don't have those to deal with, just stains on the butt/hip from laying in it.  Hence, the importance of reading and following directions! 

obie105

Oxy clean liquid laundry detergent works better than any bluing shampoo and its clear so no staining.

chiangus

obie105 said:
Oxy clean liquid laundry detergent works better than any bluing shampoo and its clear so no staining.

Will second that also very safe on your calf and enviroment.

kjshorthorns

I use oxy clean as well I rinse or wash then while still wet spray oxy clean on dirty spots let it soak then scrub and rinse out good. Make sure to condition oxy clean strips oils.

chiangus

Ever leave oxiclean in a bucket without cleaning it.  Not a good idea, all of it crystallized  tt was easy to clean up though.