Bo-se

Help Support Steer Planet:

moodog5

I am wanting to give one of my bred heifers a shot of Bo-se. I was wondering if anyone knows if this will harm her calf?

DL

mollymoo5 said:
I am wanting to give one of my bred heifers a shot of Bo-se. I was wondering if anyone knows if this will harm her calf?

1. Why do you want to do this - nothing else to do on a Saturday?
2. Where did you get it - if from your veterinarian why did you not ask him or her?
3. Have you read the adverse reactions in the package insert?
4. BoSe is labeled for calves, lambs, ewes and sows  (note not pregnant cattle) - note under adverse reactions "abortions and deaths have occurred in pregnant ewes"
5. and you think this might be a good idea why?

moodog5

I do have a stiff heifer. And my neighbor had some and suggested it. But I didn't know much about it. But thanks for the info.

MCC

DL said:
mollymoo5 said:

1. Why do you want to do this - nothing else to do on a Saturday?
2. Where did you get it - if from your veterinarian why did you not ask him or her?
3. Have you read the adverse reactions in the package insert?
4. BoSe is labeled for calves, lambs, ewes and sows  (note not pregnant cattle) - note under adverse reactions "abortions and deaths have occurred in pregnant ewes"
5. and you think this might be a good idea why?

I have not been on here for awhile just because of posts like this. DL I know you and I have butted heads before. That's OK I'm grown up and can handle it. However, I have seen so many of your posts that in my opinion are flat out RUDE! I agree it's not the smartest thing in the world to come on here and ask for advice from people you don't know and can't look at the animal in question instead of calling your vet. However, some people don't live in an area where vets are handy to get ahold of. Sometimes "old timers" have seen things that others haven't including vets. And sometimes those old family remedy's work just as well as modern medicine. I don't know if you are a vet or if you are just a secretary in a vets office but your bedside manner needs to improve in my opinion. Some of these posters are young people that are trying to learn and need someone to give them a hand instead of being belittled. Seriously, maybe Jason should put up an ask DL post at the top so people can ask you their question and you can answer it because you seem to be well educated on vet related issues. Thanks to everyone on steer planet for 2 years of enjoyment I'm done.

farmboy

Dear MCC
Yes she is a vet. Yes, we had an ask DL thread back in the day. I'm not sure what you're upset about? Someone raising legitament questions AND answering the questions asked is nothing for you to get windy about.

obie105

As an outsider looking in it was a rude way of addressing someone especially a young person. They could have just said yes it will hurt the calf not the whole thing about nothing else better to do on a Saturday.  I was a young person not too terribly long ago with a family that did not farm and if the neighbor who had done this forever said hey try this we did. Vets cost money and many people work on a budget and come herw to look for advice. Young people need encouragement especially if they are new and it is a new deal to the whole family. I now have a vet I work very closely with but I am older and would like to think wiser. I am a high school teacher so I know how the littlest things can effect a person. Jmo

DL

mollymoo5 said:
BoSe is a prescription drug - therefore when a person (of any age) asks about giving it to an animal for no stated reason then either
1. the drug was obtained from a neighbor or friend
2. the neighbor or friend may have suggested that the drug be used and may (as in this case) have absolutely no knowledge of the potential side effects
3. the drug was obtained from a veterinarian but no directions were left with the drug (unlikely especially when the question relates to harm to the calf)
but in any event ELDU and AMDUCA were not followed.

I cannot say it will harm the calf but I can say that it is not approved for use in pregnant cows and may cause abortion in pg ewes (it is approved for ewes)

mollymoo was smart enough to ask the question, and if she was offended I apologize - but you adults should be encouraging not only responsible and legal use of drugs in the animals we raise for food but also encouraging kids to talk to their parents, their veterinarian and their 4H leaders about their animals

chambero

DL and I butt heads on some issues related to use of drugs in show animals (actually only occasional use of tranquilizers) but I agree with her overlying concern on this issue.  You have to rely on your vet and experienced teachers/advisors.  It is pretty apparent from the volume of these types of posts that kids are getting little or no advice from adults who know what they are doing or think that drugs are silver bullets for cattle.  For young people wanting to ask questions here concerning drug use, please post a little more background for your questions and you'll avoid some of the more terse responses or elicit more responses from others to help you.  Information on drug labels is easily accessible via the internet.  If you cant easily talk to a vet, look up the labels and you'll know first hand.

Also, selenium is actually fairly toxic to prople.  Overuse of it could lead to some pretty serious problems and some residue issues.

LostFarmer

We are extremely Se deficient in these parts.  We give the cows a shot of Mu-Se and the cows get Bo-Se.  We also has a special Se supplement that we mix with the high Se salt.  Besides the muscles problems with cows low Se can lead to breading problems.  We have a vet protocol for all this lest I get blasted from DL. 

DL

LostFarmer said:
We are extremely Se deficient in these parts.  We give the cows a shot of Mu-Se and the cows get Bo-Se.  We also has a special Se supplement that we mix with the high Se salt.  Besides the muscles problems with cows low Se can lead to breading problems.  We have a vet protocol for all this lest I get blasted from DL. 

Lost Farmer working with your vet on selenium supplementation is the way it should be done - you didn't say "I am wanting to give my bred heifer a shot of BoSe"  that your "neighbor had and suggested you use it" - in addition to skeletal and cardiac muscle and breeding issues. selenium (and vitamin E) are important infighting off infection, immunity, and the functioning of many enzymes - however since the manifestations of selenium toxicity and selenium deficiency are sometimes similar it is not a drug to be given "just because" or without input from your veterinarian