bodacious or walks alone?

Help Support Steer Planet:

JCattleCo

I've got some moderate cows, mainly angus, that need powered up and more bone. Ideas?

easttex

WA works really well with Angus based cows. We have had real good luck with WA, but never used bodacious.

Mueller Show Cattle

I hope this answers your question. Walks Alone will add bone and is super thick. He will probably down size the height of the calf but adds ALOT of thickness. I have seen some really nice Walks Alone calves out of angus cows. He is my favorite bull but I like to use him on my tallest cows as he does shorten them down but adds alot of thickness to them.

chucksam

Muddy Creek Show Cattle said:
chucksam said:
rasor club calves said:
bodacious.

Walks Alone....Bodacious should be your last destination.
Why do you say that? Serious question, just curious on your reasoning.

Walks alone through more functionality, than bodacious ever will. Walks alones are just overall better breeding option....Im not fond of the tight gutted and pastern poppin bodacious (some, just like all cattle, can be good.) but for breeding dont go there first.

showtime1000

Ive seen more crippled bodacious calves this year than any other sire group, alot tend to buck over on theor front knees. this includes Matt's new bull prospect Bocephus. I used bodacious on some heavy muscled good fronted cows and got average muscle shape and average front ended calves, even though Matt recomends him to improve muscle shape and body. I saw Bodacious at Denver in the washrack and he was a drowned rat!

JCattleCo

I've always kind of known how to breed WA but its good to know about bodacious because his pictures and videos are pretty convincing.

HGC

I have not used walks alone, but I have Bodacious.  The cows that you described is what I think he will work best on.  He added bone, body, muscle, hair and a good disposition for us.  You do need to breed him to a cow with a nice neck and smooth shoulder.  I wasn't going to used him last year, but saw him at stud in March and was really impressed with him.

I have seen some very nice walks alone calves, but I don't know what the cow side was.  One thing I did notice about several WA calves in the pasture, was that they were a little high headed, but I haven't heard anybody showing one complain about disposition.  Anybody else have any first hand information on WA disposition?

JCattleCo

Yes actually. My neighbor has about 100 clubby bred cows and when I asked his opinion he said walks alone calves will walk alone forever cuz they're nuts

Gargan

ive never saw a crazy WA calf. ive only seen prob 20 or so but all were fine disposition wise. Im sure there are exceptions tho, a lot if disposition depends on how cattle are handled and of course the calves mothers can have a huge impact on a calfs disposition IMO

ChristaCheatham

Would you say that BIM sires similary to WA? I'm breeding a large framed/tight gutted simmental/angus 4th calver to BIM. She does not have a smooth shoulder and I've read that BIM does and that he will add that to his offspring.

jb fitter

yes a ton has to do with enviornment and the cow because she raises the calf. Also, from what ive heard in reports, BIM isnt quite as expresively muscled as WA and not as much base width but will reduce frame size and style them up alot without making them as straight off their front end with a better shoulder.

lj113

BIM's get tall. We bred him to bigger cows last year and the calves are pretty leggy. I would breed him to your smaller framed cows thats what we're doing.

Bulldaddy

JCattleCo said:
I've always kind of known how to breed WA but its good to know about bodacious because his pictures and videos are pretty convincing.
I have used Walks Alone quite a bit.  Love the calves.  He reduces frame, adds muscle and a cool look.  Some of the calves can be a little nervous but they seem to settle down after being halter broke.  Most of mine have been dog gentle though.  Use him  on those larger framed, sound, maternal cows and you will like what you get.

farmboy

I'd go walks alone. A friend of mine has raised some exceptional Walks calves out of cows you described (Walk The Line being one of them)

rlrlks

showtime1000 said:
Ive seen more crippled bodacious calves this year than any other sire group, alot tend to buck over on theor front knees. this includes Matt's new bull prospect Bocephus. I used bodacious on some heavy muscled good fronted cows and got average muscle shape and average front ended calves, even though Matt recomends him to improve muscle shape and body. I saw Bodacious at Denver in the washrack and he was a drowned rat!

Curious as to when you saw Bocephus