bodacious or walks alone?

Help Support Steer Planet:

heatherleblanc

Walks alone calves continue to impress me!  I just purchased one, and he is super cool, and another thing, he is SUPER SOUND!! Walks out like no other!

sizzler14

Everyone has their own opinions. First off, both are nice bulls creating their way in the industry. Personally you always have to remember that actually neither of these may work. a narrow made crappy bull may be the ticket. Dna synthesis and transcription of the DNA in the nucleus does all the work for you.lol There are a million bulls out there so it is all a guessing game. With this being said, I will give you my opinion on the calves I have seen. I bred to walks alone last year to a 1500 pound strictly business cow that is a little taller. The calf was hairy from day one until now. Never shucked her baby coat. But was also always two feet tall. I bred the est of my cows to Ali and the walks alone compared to the Alis were like a black guy in a KKK convention. I know we are breeding cattle shorter these days but 90% of the walks alones are coming to me as too short. Watch the Blaze of Glory video from denver. He is thick as a bus, but he also comes up to your waist line (figure of speech). I breed to Bodacious this year just for the calves I saw this year. I was afraid of him when he came out for calving difficulties. He didn't have any major problems. I think he gives his calves a little more size, not too big but where we are wanting them. Everyone I have seen has been incredibly stout and hairy. As far as structure goes, it really depends on your cows. If your foundation isn't structurally correct, it gets hard to breed it out of them regardless of the bull. Personally I haven't seen any problems with his calves and structure. I have seen a few DECENT ones out of angus and Walks Alone but angus have the frame. I have also seen a lot of Walks Alones be good as calves but since they are so short at babies they grow out to be puds. Granted when your having 10000 calves a year out of a bull anybody can find 100 good ones to promote. Personally I think Bodacious would be a better ticket, plus that added shot of chrome doesn't hurt any. If this is for spring of 2013, check out Lautners and Stoltzs new bull Springsteen. I do not think there was a calf in the country as stout as him. Also, Man Among Boys is throwing powerhouses and I really think Unstoppable is  on the verge of a break out because he is so sound. This is my opinion. Now before anybody wants to bash me for posting this, remember opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one and they usually stink.....

video of unstoppable link....LautnerFarms Unstoppable .mov

OH Breeder

the Denver video's I really didn't like Bodacious. There was something about his front half that didn't look as smooth. I haven't used either bull but really like the walks alone calves i have seen in the sales. To me the mature pictures of Walks Alone he seems more extreme in his make up and maybe that's why he is working so well.

sizzler14

Do not see how people think walks alone on a moderate frame cow is a good choice...

grandchamp58

I have a walks alone calf and he is so complete. Yes he is a little short but not anything to worry about.  Bodacious does throw bone but he is just not as square, doesn't have as much true power, and doesn't have the width of Walks Alone. overall walks alone is a hell of a lot more complete

vet tech

Walks alone really isn't breeding them  as small as prople thought from what I have seen. That full flush peeks its head in there more than I thought it would.

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

JCattleCo said:
Yes actually. My neighbor has about 100 clubby bred cows and when I asked his opinion he said walks alone calves will walk alone forever cuz they're nuts

most walks alone claves are nuts! they take longer to break than any other calves ive ever had, but i still love them!
and i wouldnt go bashing bodacious so hard, im sorry that you saw so many bad ones but there has been alot of bad walks alone calves as well, you cant breed shit to gold and expect gold again. ive seen a lot of good bodacious calves as well.

Warrior10

Woodland Farms said:
JCattleCo said:
Yes actually. My neighbor has about 100 clubby bred cows and when I asked his opinion he said walks alone calves will walk alone forever cuz they're nuts

most walks alone claves are nuts!
Not always true...only had two Walks Alone calves this year and both were fine. One was puppy dog tame first time we got her in this fall.

Gargan

Muddy Creek Show Cattle said:
Woodland Farms said:
JCattleCo said:

most walks alone claves are nuts!
Not always true...only had two Walks Alone calves this year and both were fine. One was puppy dog tame first time we got her in this fall.

A lot of a calfs disposition has to do with how their mothers react around people post partum. If a cow with a week old baby sees you coming and jets over the hill away from you, the calf is gonna pick up on that. I'm not saying this is always true but it has something to do with it. I too only had 1 walks alone calf this past spring and he was uppy dog calm, just like his momma from day 1 til we sold him

Carlson Cattle

i have a cow that needs some powering up but shes a heatwave........ so WA and BIM are out...... should i go with bodatious?

Ohio1

I think WA is a much better bull JMO
And Carlson is she THF?

Quick fire

Not sure how old this post is, but WA is a top 3 bull. Bodacious isn't even top 10. This is a simple one