Bojo Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEA

So, lets get back to the original question..."How is Bojo working, how are his calves, & what type cows did he work best on?"

Bulldaddy

Based on what I have heard, not seen, he is supposed to add frame, bone and hair so he should work on smaller framed, lighter boned cows.

WFCC

DTW said:
zak said:
It would be interesting to flush her to one of those really powerful th carrier bulls and see what you would get. Should be intersting!!! :)

I believe she is a th carrier herself.  So if you flushed her to a th bull then 25 % of the calves would have to be destroyed because they wouldnt be able to get up and nurse or walk. 

And if i remember correctly she is an alias out of a heat seeker cow. 

so what if you have 8 calves and 2 are TH. She is obviously the type of cow that can produce calves valuable enough to make up for the few lost.  Only takes one.

caldanmc

WFCC said:
DTW said:
zak said:
It would be interesting to flush her to one of those really powerful th carrier bulls and see what you would get. Should be intersting!!! :)

I believe she is a th carrier herself.  So if you flushed her to a th bull then 25 % of the calves would have to be destroyed because they wouldnt be able to get up and nurse or walk. 

And if i remember correctly she is an alias out of a heat seeker cow. 

so what if you have 8 calves and 2 are TH. She is obviously the type of cow that can produce calves valuable enough to make up for the few lost.  Only takes one.

if indeed only two of the eight were actually TH, then the gamble probably pays off.  However, we are talking about a 50/50 chance that both her and the sire pass on the TH gene.  Neither may, one could, or both might...everytime.  remember that it is possible in a flush that every embryo gets the gene from each parent.  That isn't a gamble I would take, but that's just me.

nck21

They'll probably flush her to a th bull sometime considering the potential profit. she's a $50k cow and the throwaways won't matter.

Show Heifer

[/quote]

And that is exactly what is wrong with the club calf world, IMO. And one of the reasons that the animal rights people are winning the PR war and we are losing a way of life.
You also failed to mention the cows that might die attempting to have the calf, but I suppose that is called "collaterial damage"?
Again, JMO.

DTW

I agree with not breeding a carrier to another carrier of the same  birth defect.  But i disagree with the statement that the birth defects are going to be short lived.  I had a cow that was 17 years old and just sold her two years ago and she was a carrier of pha.  She originated from out west.

Also walking through the pasture and looking at full sib embryo calves you can tell which ones are carriers and which ones are clean.  And guess what the buyers love the ones with the birth defects.  They have more hair, bone and mucsle. 

So i dont see the birth defects going away.  Just have to test and breed accordingly.

HGC

We had 4 Bojo calves this year.  The three heifers weighed 96, 80, and 76.  The bull weighed 108, but he is out of a Godfather cow that always has big calves.  All calves came unassisted and were vigorous at birth.  I would not use him on a heifer, but after that I think you would be fine.  Gestation lengths were normal.

Three of ours are out of lite muscled cows, and he did add power to them.  One was out of a above average muscled cow, and that calf is borderline too thick.  Bone and hair are similar to heat wave.  He adds more frame than Heat Wave, but not huge.  I wouldn't breed him to an overally poweful cow.
Overall I'm pleased with ours.

cowz

We have an awesome BOJO heifer calf this year.  Tons of bone, hair and the look.  She will be in our Breeder's World online sale on September 28.  Matt, you missed the boat by not stopping by!

Cattledog

I'm with ShowHeifer on this.  I don't know how I could sleep at night knowing the potential outcome to the cow.  Even if it's just a recip I would never do it.  Regular calving is stressful enough for me.

CAB

Does anyone know if buttercup has raised a calf naturally or her milking ability? She's a powerhouse, but doesn't look real feminine or maternal to me. JMO.

BadgerFan

CAB said:
Does anyone know if buttercup has raised a calf naturally or her milking ability? She's a powerhouse, but doesn't look real feminine or maternal to me. JMO.

exactly my thoughts, she looks pretty steery, but I was going to wait for someone else to say it to see if I was the only one. 

shortdawg

When I saw her she was thick but I wouldn't classify her as steery/market heifer looking. I really don't think she was bred with the feminine side in mind being a Alias/Heat Seeker. My guess is she would be steer producing machine.

Tooker

To cab... Isnt she the mother of the Bojo? I believe that would mean she has raised one. Ask Kris Black about what he thinks about the maternal abilities of Alias? Also Heat Seeker's are awesome cows. Breed him to your Heat Waves daughters. JMO

CAB

Tooker said:
To cab... Isnt she the mother of the Bojo? I believe that would mean she has raised one. Ask Kris Black about what he thinks about the maternal abilities of Alias? Also Heat Seeker's are awesome cows. Breed him to your Heat Waves daughters. JMO

I didn't know if he Bojo was a natural calf or a Embryo. I was asking if anyone knew. Some of the Heet Seeker's are great cows and some are so/so.
  I personally don't keep HW daughters any longer. I have one left.

To all on the board that have Alias daughters in production, how are they doing in general?? Thanks for your replies.

prof02judge

BoJo was the natural first calf of Buttercup... saw him at Glovers as a 3 month old calf... he was an absolute stud!

Latest posts