Boots

Help Support Steer Planet:

ruhtram

I'm looking into getting a new pair of square toe cowboy boots...Does anyone have any recommendations?

RidinHeifer

I like Justin.  Last pair of ariats I had fell apart quickly...granted I use and abuse em pretty hard.  Just tore my first pair of Justins in a while up.  The stitching over the foot came undone.  That's after 2.5 years of almost daily wear...to school, to ride, to show, to do chores, to break stuff, etc.  The soles are still hanging on good and the leather has no holes just stitching off.  Just have to watch for the Chinese made Justins.  Not even close to the American made Justins.  Plus, they are pretty reasonable price wise compared to the other brands and mine have been extremely comfortable!

i have 2 pairs of boots.. i have my "kickers" as i call them, or my barn boots, which are my cheap justins that i bought that wont cost alot to replace.. i wear boots out in 3-4 months tops.. but i wore them everywhere, working cattle, washing cattle, rain, snow, hot sun, soaking wet or dry.. i've worn them through all.. but my other pair are mysquare toed leather and ostrich Dan Post boots... not alot of people know about Dan Post's, but i cant say enough about em. i paid a nice chunk of money for them at a cattle show, but they dont go out in the barn... i only wear them when barrel race, when i show my pigs or cattle, or to school.. they've seen water, dirt, mud, dust, shavings, and everything in between, but i just keep them clean, and i love them to death.. they are SOO EASY to break in because they are SOO SOFT! they arent huge or clunky and they dont weigh me down. just sayin in this post, dont be afraid to have your "do everything" boots and your show boots.

ruhtram

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm really considering a pair of Ariat's

GoWyo

For me Ariats fit way different than other boots and not in a good way.  Main thing is to go try some on and find the comfortable ones first.  I can order Tony Lama or Nocona boots via mail order and they fit almost every time.  Just ordered some Anderson Bean boots (these are a better-made boot and more pricey) and will find out if they fit as well - would try them on and buy local but no one carries them around here.

herfluvr

Cruiser said:
I'm looking into getting a new pair of square toe cowboy boots...Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am a boot junkie :)  Here is my list

Ariat- I cannot live without the Ariat lace shoe boot.  These were made to be used in long distance trail riding where the rider actually dismounts and walks/runs along sid ethe horse.  I am on my 6thpair and a must to stand on concrete for shows.

Ariat boots tend to fit decent when purchased and get rather sloppy after some wear allowing the heel to not remain stable and rock to the side. 

Justins are what we wear for work boots and have decent wear.  The work boot is rugged and the dress boots are better made than most

Anderson Bean- Check out Davis Boots for a cool pair that are ridenin by most cutters and reiners.  They have cool styles and they have custom ones  AB builds just for them

Lagrange. or Logans.  These are a preferredboot of horseshow crowd and very well made and have some cool styles

Mercedes.  just as the name implies they are an excellent quality boot and wear really well

Twisted X- not a fan. had a pair that blew the stitching out in a month with average wear.  Just cheaply made

Boulet.  Rods.com sells these and a nice boot moderately priced in everyday styles as well as dress. 

Ferrini-  A mexican made boot (justins are not american made anymore) that I just ordered in black for men's dress boot.  They are less expensive but have some cool designs but don't hold up for everyday hard wear.

So not that I have you confused :)  Look at Davis Boots.  They are wonderful people and will work to get you the right boot to fit you,  Found out son was buying the wrong size and they fit him and these boots are cool and comfy.  Rods is another place to look at a lt of styles.  They have Quarter horse Congress coming up and will be fully stocked in styles.
Water buffalo, buffalo and elephant are toughest hides

If you find a boot you like and know the fit, look on Bootbay.com for a better price.  Happy Shopping

GONEWEST

As far as square toed boots go...............................just say no  (lol)

It's funny to me to watch the marketing of boots over the past several years.  All the companies make a round toe one year, it's "in."  Next year its a pointed  or a J toe. A roper toe, a snip toe. Finally a square toe and it's "in."  It'll be "out" after Christmas  but they are running out of shapes for boot toes. But if you want to be "in" and not quite "out" until next spring I guess its the way to go.

Attachments

• IMinTHIS.gif
    IMinTHIS.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 941

DLD

When the square toes first started getting popular I wasn't liking them either, and figured it was just a trend that would come and go - and it probably will.  But once I tried a pair on, I bought some - they're much more comfortable on my old tired feet.  They're both Ariat's, and I've been pleased with them, but I don't wear cowboy boots every day.  I need lace ups for my ankles when I'm on my feet most of the time, so I love my Ariats like herfluvr mentioned, otherwise I get along best with a good quality lace up hiking boot.

But on the subject of the square toed boots, my 19 year old son is on his second pair of Justins (wore the first every day for a year), and he loves them.  Wears them everywhere, every day, school, stock shows, working cattle, driving the tractor, going to town, whatever  (he's strictly a tee shirt and jeans kinda guy - going to church merits a button up shirt, but that's about it).  They have several styles available in a comp sole/low heel for around $100 - add another $50 for leather soles and a riding heel.  Pretty tough to beat that these days.

GoWyo

I have fought square toes for the past 4 or 5 years thinking they were a passing fad.  Finally gave in and bought a pair last winter in smooth ostrich for dress boots.  Hope they don't go out of style in the next couple of years or I'll have to turn them into corral boots.  I like them in square or round, but pointy or wing tips are out for me.

GONEWEST

I think all the toe shapes have  been around for a while, it's difficult to make up very many shapes for the end of a pair of boots, it's just which one the company's promote to sell new ones at Christmas.

And I too agree they are comfortable although that roper is about the same for me.

ruhtram

I'm mainly looking at square b.c the one's i've tried on were more comfortable b.c of my wide foot. Thanks for all the input.

herfluvr

Forgot to mention, buy a boot that is similar to the heel you wear everyday.  That makes a HUGE difference in how you like them.  If you are used to a roper lower heel, the buckaroo heel will not be liked by your legs and feet. 
Also the soles make a difference and if you have wide feet a good sole with a double welt stitch will keep the boot more stable.......I like boots :)

RidinHeifer

I didn't like square toed for the longest time either, but it has grown on me and I have a pair now.  I like the Justin gypsy, but I get the male vibe on this shopping trip.  I don't remember if it was rods or smith brothers, but one of them had a bunch of boots on sale and close out...quality boots too...tony lamas for around a $100 to give you a sale idea

Chickasaw

Ive always had good luck with Justins. Right now I have a pair that have about 2 years of everyday wear on them and the soles just starting to wear out.

blackcows

Cruiser said:

It you want something different check out the Tin Haul boots.