Bottle/Bucket Calf Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dusty

I was at a county fair this weekend helping fit some calves for a guy and after the market show they had the bottle/bucket show.  I would have to say that was probably the most enjoyable part of the whole show.  When those little kids were leading, some draggin their calves around the ring it made me realize that this part of the show is when it is still truly about the kids having fun.  There were more smiles in the ring during the bottle calf show than there was all day in the market show.

I am just as guilty as anybody of being super competitive and all about trying to win.  But, I think everyone needs to take the time to watch at least one bottle/bucket show this summer.  It makes you realize what 4-H is supposed to be about and it gives a person a little reprieve from the cut-throat world of  the "steer show."  With that being said I will keep trying everything I can to win when I am involved with a calf, but next time I am pulling up a leg or telling a kid how to hide a flaw I will be cognizant of the fact that what we have now is probably not what the founders of 4-H had in mind when they started to have livestock shows at county fair.  Such is life I guess.

Show Dad

Well Dusty I am proud of you. It takes a big person to stop and see the fun in something after they have been competitive at it.  (clapping)

4H was as should be about the transfer of knowledge to the next generation. And it is for the most part though at times it is a better question to ask what knowledge are we passing on? Like how much money does it take to get a purple ribbon. When, instead it should be about how to make money at raising cattle.

We adults need to stop and think about what we are passing on to our kids.
<alien>

BCCC

Dusty said:
I was at a county fair this weekend helping fit some calves for a guy and after the market show they had the bottle/bucket show.  I would have to say that was probably the most enjoyable part of the whole show.  When those little kids were leading, some draggin their calves around the ring it made me realize that this part of the show is when it is still truly about the kids having fun.  There were more smiles in the ring during the bottle calf show than there was all day in the market show.

I am just as guilty as anybody of being super competitive and all about trying to win.  But, I think everyone needs to take the time to watch at least one bottle/bucket show this summer.  It makes you realize what 4-H is supposed to be about and it gives a person a little reprieve from the cut-throat world of  the "steer show."  With that being said I will keep trying everything I can to win when I am involved with a calf, but next time I am pulling up a leg or telling a kid how to hide a flaw I will be cognizant of the fact that what we have now is probably not what the founders of 4-H had in mind when they started to have livestock shows at county fair.  Such is life I guess.
When it comes to showmanship I don't have any fun at all showing because I am trying to concentrate so hard so I can get the Senior Showmen Buckle.  I clipped 4 buckets calves that will be shown at our CF so I will be sure to watch them!!!  I was walking by the ring last year and I saw a kid lead his calf in to the ring and tie the calf up to the fence and i was like what the heck and he came running back with a pooper scooper and picked up his calf poo and ran back and told his mom to hold it till he got done and then he ran back and showed the calf, and ended up getting grand champ!! They ask the kid questions and then give the kid a microphone and it plays all over the barn and its enjoying to listen to the kids answer the questions.

DL

Dusty said:

WOW!! I never though that your spade and my spade could ever be the same! Well said.  :eek: :eek:

chambero

My favorite day last year was when I got to send my two boys in with a heifer and her 300 lb "baby" at our county fair back in February.  My five year old led baby.  He spooked once and my boy held on and everybody just cheered like everything for him.  He only recently stopped grinning over it.  They won their class and little brother snatched that blue ribbon away from big brother and tied it to his shirt for the rest of the day. 

frostback

txshowlamb said:
Well sadi but what a bucket calf show :))) sorry I feel really stupid now

A bucket calf show, in my area anyway is, for kids age 4-8. The calves are usually Holsteins or orphaned calves still being on a bottle or bucket, meaning they are young and small. They walk them in the ring and the "judge" askes them questions about the calf. Like "What is the calves name.", "What breed", "What does your calf eat", you get the idea. Answers very from sweet to crack you up. All participants get a ribbon or trophy. Frostie

GWShowPigs

I don't recall having one at our fair, but I think that would be a good suggestion for next year's fair! This gives the little ones a chance to strut their stuff(if you know what I mean!). It also makes it fun for the audience to  (lol). I will surely look into suggesting that for next year's fair. <cowboy>

renegade

Me too! we dont have one but it sounds like it would be fun and it would help little kids build confidence in more ways than one. But cloverbuds (young 4h) cant show "large animals" like sheep, pigs, beef so i wonder if they would let them do it - very stickler around here.

SWMO

The biggest crowd of spectators we have at our County Fair is for the PeeWee Show.  We have a local newcaster come and talk to the kids and it is a real hoot.  Some of the answers are just memorable.  It is more popular by far than any of the "real contests".  Our PeeWees can bring a bucket calf, a lamb, a goat or a pig and they are so excited to be there. We also give each participant a tee shirt and a goodie bag for "competing".

One kid in particular(age at the time 6)  that will always stick in my mind (he is now 12)  when asked if his mom and dad were present he said and I quote "my dad is the bald one over there and my mom is the "heavy" one over there" as he pointed them out.  His dad is a little thin on the top but not bald by any means and his mom is not at all "heavy".  We get a laugh every year when this comes up.  His parents are great and took it all in good humor.

kanshow

I think the bucket calf show is great.  It's one of the biggest crowd draws at our fair.  You never know what is going to come out of the kid's mouths.   

Our barely 4 year old daughter has a bucket calf this year.  'Yoda' is a little red blaze faced steer calf that came off of a 17 year old cow who calved really late.  She calls him a heifer because he is in the heifer pen, when the big kids go to work with their heifers, she's right out there taking care of Yoda.  When asked to describe Yoda, she will tell about his 'staring eyes'.    He may not make it to the fair as while he is a very gentle calf, he will not lead.  He will stand tied for hours but it takes 3 people to get him to take a step unless one person has a bucket - he'll follow that anywhere. 

GWShowPigs

Would tying him to a Tractor and pulling him slowly behind it work? Just so the tractor is more powerful but not going to hurt him.Hope this helps!

Simmymom1

(thumbsup)  This was our second year at our county fair back in April to have the "bucket calf" class.  I had the best time watching the little ones with their little calves.  Dean Fuchs "judged" the class and you could not have asked for a better man to interact with the little kids. He walked around with his microphone and  talked to every single one of those kids, and believe me we had alot of kids.  He asked each child what their calves name was and what they had learned this year from raising the calf.  This cute little blonde girl who was 5 years old said her calves name was "Meat", when Mr. Fuchs asked her why she named him that she said because that is what he was eventually going to be when he grew up.  I laughed so hard that day watching those young children that I was almost in tears.  Some of the little girls had ribbons and bows on their calves and feather boas around their necks, and yes they all had their show sticks and set those calves up as best as they could.  Each child was a winner and received a ribbon and a t-shirt I think.  I think every county fair should look into doing this class, this could really be the answer to getting the little ones started young and having fun with their animals.  These kids are our future if you think about it! 

kanshow

One of the greatest things about this class is that you know these kids have spent the time with the calf. 

oakbar

We provide calves for some of the youngsters(4 this year) in our area to show in the bucket and bottle calf class.  Its an absolute hoot!!  We've done this for years and even though we've had our share of winners in the competitive classes, I think I still get the most enjoyment out of this "Pee Wee" class.  The picture below shows a young lady that had never touched a calf before she and "Twiggy" met.  After working with the calf for a couple of weeks, she went from being scared of her to being confident enough to show other kids how to hold the lead strap and brush their calves.  Her dad told me he learned a lot, too, and was very pleased with the time they spent together with the project.  Megan was really dissapointed when she found out the next class wasn't until next year's show.  We may have to find some other classes in our area over the next few weeks.  This is really what its all about IMO!!!

Attachments

• Megan & Twiggy WCF 08.JPG
    Megan & Twiggy WCF 08.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 239

justme

All the shows areound here in NW Missouri has a peewee class it seems.  I absolutly love them!  My son does peewee pigs, sheep, and his favorite beef.  We call him the king of Peewee's. 

Attachments

• Evan and porkchop.jpg
    Evan and porkchop.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 481