Bottle Calf Issue

Help Support Steer Planet:

cyclone38

Have some bottle calves for kids and friends young kids to show at county fair this year. Got one about 3 weeks ago that looked good and strong and has been sucking the bottle good until the last 3 days. He is always eager to come attack the bottle like they do and he starts off sucking. about 3/4 the way through he quits and starts hacking/coughing/weezing and breathing heavy. Would eventually finish the bottle off. Thought he was drinking too fast maybe so I put a different nipple on for this morning that had a smaller opening and he barely started in sucking before it happened. THis time he looked really bad doing it went and laid down so went to get him up and he would hack up some clear/milky flem out his mouth - nothing out the nose - so I don't think he's getting it in his lungs, but could he be or is it something else?? Not sure, looking for advice from some wise folks here that have seen it all, hate to see a calf die on a little kid. Thanks in advance!

shorthornmn

At least call and talk to a local vet and see what they say. My first thought on reading this was that he was nursing to fast but if you changed the nipple and it didn't help it probably isn't that. Keep us informed and good luck on getting the little one well again!

cyclone38

shorthornmn said:
At least call and talk to a local vet and see what they say. My first thought on reading this was that he was nursing to fast but if you changed the nipple and it didn't help it probably isn't that. Keep us informed and good luck on getting the little one well again!

Took him to vet this afternoon as he was running a temp. Figured it was pnuemonia. Got him some shots and is already seeming a bit better tonight as he is eating again and seems in better spirits.

Latest posts