Bought a donkey

Help Support Steer Planet:

lowann

Well, we bought a donkey to halter break show calves. He is a large standard gelding.
The guy that we bought him from has 40+ donkeys of all sizes/colors. I am including a picture of one I fell in love with. Very large Mammouth black jack. I told the guy if he doesn't work out as a breeding jack, I want him. (after he is gelded of course)
He is a gentle giant. Loves any, and all attention he can get.
We named our new addition "Hawkeye"
I'll let you know how it all works out.
We only have two left to break this year, all the rest are done.
The second picture is of Hawkeye. This guy sells allot of halter breaking donkeys. Standard, or mammouths work best. Minni's are just too small for the job. He said the work wonders as pasture guards. They take care of dogs, or Coyotes quick. Sound an alarm, then attack.

Attachments

• 100_0682.jpg
    100_0682.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
  • 100_0683.jpg
    100_0683.jpg
    945.5 KB · Views: 163

inthebarnagain

Jeferin said:
Would mini donkeys work for breaking show calves?

What about coyotes and wolves?

We have a mini, when we used her for breaking we never put anything bigger than 600 pounds on her, she only weighs about 400 and is about the height of a 6 month old calf.  She makes a much better pasture guard!

lowann

We hear Coyotes and occasionally see them. I think we will sleep a little easier after the calves are born, and running around through the nights with him here. If something is going on out there, I'm sure we will hear the ruckus. One of our friends north of us lost, a calf last spring from 3 coyotes. Two kept the mother at bay, while the other one drug the calf off.