Bought a used semen tank, what came with it

Help Support Steer Planet:

steermaker

I purchased a used semen tank and got the semen that was in the tank as part of the deal.  Tank is in great shape but haven't been able to find out much about the bulls that are "in the tank".  Here is a listing of the semen that I know is the tank and the cane code for one I am unsure of:

Gelbvieh  bulls

Sherman
Buster

Simmental bulls

Polled Achievement
Colorado Stretch
ER Americana
Mr. Frame (that one sort of scares me)
Hill's Triple Crown
Caufi(?)

Unknown cane code:  16CA09

Any information would be appreciated.

steermaker

The cane code that the previous owner told me was the bull "Caufi" is 16SM71 if that helps.

Zach, not sure what you mean.  Are you referring to the cane code that I haven't been able to identify?

klintdog

Any plans on what to do with those Gelbvieh straws? If they're who I think they are, I may be interested.

LN

I bet Caufi is DS Caufitime. We used him 15 years ago. The only other one I recognize is ER Americana. He was a popular solid red sire in the mid 90s. All the Simmental semen you have listed is pretty old and I doubt it would have much $$ value.

dori36

steermaker said:
I purchased a used semen tank and got the semen that was in the tank as part of the deal.  Tank is in great shape but haven't been able to find out much about the bulls that are "in the tank".  Here is a listing of the semen that I know is the tank and the cane code for one I am unsure of:

Gelbvieh  bulls

Sherman
Buster

Simmental bulls

Polled Achievement
Colorado Stretch

ER Americana
Mr. Frame (that one sort of scares me)
Hill's Triple Crown
Caufi(?)

Unknown cane code:  16CA09

Any information would be appreciated.

Somewhere around 1993 or '4, I was co-manager of the first Wyoming Gelbvieh Ass'n bull sale.  I sifted about half of the sale bulls and handled all the entries and the publishing of the catalog.  Bottom line is that I saw all the pedigrees of all the bulls we accepted into the sale.  At that time, many of the good ones had Sherman as their sire of grandsire.  He's red and thick and, at that time, was highly desired and considered something of a foundation sire for the breed in America.  His get were very nice, long, thick, made right.

CJB

Triple Crown - http://www.ag-link.com/BullBeef/07SM0276E.html

Caufi-Listed as the maternal grandsire of Triple Crown.  Don't know anything about him,

ER Americana - http://www.bovine-elite.com/simmepd.asp?ID=166

Colorado Stretch was a high performance Simm bull in his time.  Don't know of too many show champs by him, but were some great performers.  If memory serves me correctly, Willie Altenburg owned him.

016CA00009 ILDENO  This is what Zach is looking @ on cattle.com.  Looks like a good possibility to me.

Sundy

We currently have some Ildeno in our tank and the top of the cane reads CA09. So, I would agree with Zach that it is probably Ildeno. Hope that helps!

Mark H

Steermaker,

The Caufi  I am familar with was a Pie Rouge bull imported in the early 1970's.  He was an easy calving heifer bull. He was useful to breed 1/2 and 3/4 blood heifers in the upgrading process.  No alot of growth but he did put out some nice moderate framed heifers.

Mark

annielsie

do you still have any of this semen left? I know your original post is from a couple years ago...

Latest posts