Bought some hot corn and Show steer is foundering!

Help Support Steer Planet:

5005cld

I need help!!!!!! Last night my show steer got acidosis really bad and now he is going to be pretty lame in about 45 days or less!!! My show is a terminal show and it is 73 days out. i need some help and ideas for not only keeping him moving until the show but also making him seem sound and the show. The show is only three days long and he will not be slaughtered for probably another three days after. is there anything that i can do to make him sound at least at the show? HELP!!!!!!!

chambero

I'm assuming you've backed him off the corn.  Make sure you remove any implants or other muscle-building additives he might be getting right now.  Feed him hay till you get his stomach straightened out.

justintime

It would not hurt to give him some LiquamycinLA. Also check with your vet and see what he recommends to give him as a drench that will help reduce stomach acid and also help get the rumen started properly again.  and as Chambero said, stop feeding grain until you get the rumen responding normally again... and then restart him onto the grain portion of the ration again and slowly get him back onto full feed again. Just be a little careful with the amount of corn in the ration. He will probably be prone to get acidosis again if he had a bad case of it before.

CAB

You need to treat the calf with some antihistamine for 3 days. Don't delay getting started with the treatment. Also back him off and restart him up. You will have troubles more than likely keeping the cattle on feed with poorer quality grain. You will have to be diligent about bunk management. I think we used to treat with 30mls/day for 3 days with a product called Recover, but I'm sure there are many different name brand antihistamines available. You will greatly reduce damage if you get right on top of the problem. Good Luck, Brent

5005cld

is there anything that i can give him to sort of numb the pain in his feet? something with a very short or no withdrawl periond?

5005cld

What is the withdrawal period for banamine? i need him to be "sound" at the show. i will have three days for him to get it out of his system.

5005cld

how long will the banamine injection keep him from feeling pain. I am not sure if i can get away with giving it to him at the show.

5005cld

is there some kind of local anastetic that i can have the vet do like a nerve block or something that would only affect the specific area?

vc

You need to worry about getting him healthy, right now, worry about the show later.

5005cld

we had the vet out last night and we put activated charcoal and mineral oil down him.  he hasn't gone off grain and seems to feel fine. i have been putting baking soada in his feed from the very start, and he has free choice on hay.

DL

I guess I am a little confused - did he founder? Are his feet sore?? Why is he still on grain if you thought he got too much? Did anyone suggest probiotics to get the rumen working? Did you just panic because it looked like he had grain overload???

The withdrawal period for Banamine given IV (in the vein) the only way it is labeled is 4 days. If your vet wants you to give it by a different route you need to ask him/her for a withdrawal but it should be at least 30 days for IM or SQ use and it is a drug that is being judiciously looked for in meat animals....

5005cld

He looked like he was starting to bloat so we had the vet out and he said that there was no free gas and that it was not bloat, but rather acidosis and that it wasn't that i was feeding too much but that it was a bad batch of corn. the vet gave him mineral oil, activated charcoal, and i believe he gave him some probias. he does not currently have sore feet but the vet says that we can epect it in roughly 45 days. He has never gone off of feed.

CAB

So you are saying that you had a vet out and diagnosed acidosis, but gave no ph buffer and no antihistamine, and told you to wait and see "if he founders in approx. 45 days"? That doesn't seem quite right. JMO.

5005cld

the activated charcoal is a ph buffer. also he gave him something else when he tubed him. i am sure that he was given the antihistamine.