Bovashield Gold FP 10?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ELBEE

We've been using this Pfizer product since it was introduced (maybe 10 years). Have had more than one Veterinary\cattle guru tell me that we'er wasting time and money boosting old cows. Once calves are backgrounded properly, there is no need to keep reintroducing the anti-genes (hope that's the right terminology). Sure made working the old beasts a lot easier not giving shots. Lana?????

DL

ELBEE said:
We've been using this Pfizer product since it was introduced (maybe 10 years). Have had more than one Veterinary\cattle guru tell me that we'er wasting time and money boosting old cows. Once calves are backgrounded properly, there is no need to keep reintroducing the anti-genes (hope that's the right terminology). Sure made working the old beasts a lot easier not giving shots. Lana?????

ELBEE - I think of vaccinations as insurance - and it would only take one wreck to wish you hadn't stopped. It depends on the risk you are willing to take (and the potential financial hit you could take). If your herd is 100% closed (including bulls) - no one new in and once out not back - no neighbors bulls around - then maybe. But remember you are not only providing protection vs respiratory diseases, you are also providing protection vs venereal diseases, abortion, and the ever popular calf born persistently infected with BVDV. In addition, you are providing "herd" immunity so that if someone in the herd is exposed to something it shouldn't shoot thru like wildfire.  My philosophy has always been if ain't broke don't fix it! DL

ps I have a totally closed herd - I cows at least annually, sometimes 2 x per year....
;D

Latest posts