bovigen booth in denver

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I am told that bovigen is going to have a booth in the yards and there is also going to be some kind of a networking meeting possibly on wed jan 16th for genestar customers. Not real relevant post on this site but if interested be advised. :)

knabe

lady j over at acs is coordinating this.  she's trying to get the talk either live participation or at the least recorded to be webcast later.  one of the questions is tenderness 4 marker.  hopefully they will answer whether it's a third tenderness gene, or anohter marker within the two genes.  currently, one gene has two markers, the other gene, one marker.  bovigen is on board with this all the way.  all bovigen customers should have received an email detailing this.

aj

I know that the genestar deal might not be the total answer. But apparently is a piece of the puzzle. If the deal works someone is probably sitting on a gold mine and doesn't even know it. It seems to good to be true. I hope in the shorthorn breed some genetics will show up to use towards these ends. It will be outcross genetics I think. I know I heard a story that one of abs's bulls known for quality carcass's was poor on genestar results so is there other marbling genes or is the test irrelavant?

red

there was an interesting article in the Ohio Farmer on how the detirmine tenderness. I'll see if I can't find it. It's a lab test using shear force.

Red

knabe

here is supposedly a pic of a Warner-Bratzler shear measurement device.

a new way to measure starting to gain hold is taking a slice measurement (not used by bovigen to validate studies)
there will undoubtably be many more marbling genes to be discovered.  it seems enough tenderness genes and markers within them are available along with hanging techniques to make premium steaks without further research.

green ridge shorthorns seems to be tenderness testing.

here's one of their cows i believe

http://www.redwhiteandroan.com/2007-photos/Green-Ridge-DP-Mary.jpg

Attachments

• Image35.gif
    Image35.gif
    120.2 KB · Views: 669

red

that's it Knabe. The article isn't on-line yet. It was very interesting.
I'd like Lady J to give some information here on the Genestar deal. If anyone knows her, invite her to join us.

Red

knabe

here's a slideshow from ladyJ regarding testing for angus that have high altitude adaptabiity and don't have briskets disease.

http://server3.inalbum.com/ia30/view.php?id=131587824314016104371776796609

notice the calves with the wrinkles!  a couple of people think that the wrinkles are a phenotype for tenderness marker saturated cattle.

hint, turn down the volume.

i think the bovigen forum is on the 16th

aj

knabe...nice picture of the machine. Did Lorraine Bobbit invent it? Lord forgive me! :)

dori36

red said:
that's it Knabe. The article isn't on-line yet. It was very interesting.
I'd like Lady J to give some information here on the Genestar deal. If anyone knows her, invite her to join us.

Red

I'm not Lady J, but here's part of what I got from Bovigen via email today:

" Dear GeneStar Producers and Interested Persons:

We have a room for our meeting!  Bovigen has made arrangements for us to use Suite  100 (on the first floor) in the Livestock Exchange  Building at the National Western Stock Show Complex.  The meeting will occur on Wednesday, January 16th, at 11:00 a.m. 

Although the meeting will start at 11:00 a.m., some of us will be there a couple of hours in advance to set up chairs and prepare for the meeting.  If any of you are bored at the stock show, we would welcome your help and your company early.

knabe

got the voice yesterday, and read about the great results of maines, this time for feed efficiency, and again a mention for tenderness.

yet NO ONE will post their results on bovigen's site.

i take that back, a couple more were posted.  still, 15 animals out of so many is pretty bad.

also, some catalog report only number of stars, rather than by gene.  so, if you are looking to make progress with one gene, say in tenderness, and an animal has four stars, it could still have no alleles (stars) for a particular gene.  a new tenderness marker is coming out T4, but don't know if it's another polymorphism within one of the two existing genes, or a new gene.  it is marketed in australia currently.  go to the seminar and find out the answer and report back!

dori36

aj said:
knabe...nice picture of the machine. Did Lorraine Bobbit invent it? Lord forgive me! :)

Omigosh, laughing myself silly over this comment!!  I've been offline for a few days so am just getting caught up!  With Bobbit in mind, I'm reminded of a meeting that former Sec'y of the Interior, Bruce Babbit, held in Casper, WY, in about 1994,  before the introduction of the wolf became "official".  The ever omnipotent US Government was holding these meeting all across the affected areas.  Needless to say, Casper was NOT a city that was friendly to Bruce Babbit!  He entered the room flanked by 2 huge black bodyguards.  He faced a packed-to-the-gills room filled with  hostile ranchers and outfitters, mostly clad in T-shirts with the slogan "Bobbitt Bruce Babbit"!  He said his piece and made a hasty retreat!!  Priceless!

cowz

dori36 said:
aj said:

Omigosh, laughing myself silly over this comment!!  I've been offline for a few days so am just getting caught up!  With Bobbit in mind, I'm reminded of a meeting that former Sec'y of the Interior, Bruce Babbit, held in Casper, WY, in about 1994,  before the introduction of the wolf became "official".  The ever omnipotent US Government was holding these meeting all across the affected areas.  Needless to say, Casper was NOT a city that was friendly to Bruce Babbit!  He entered the room flanked by 2 huge black bodyguards.  He faced a packed-to-the-gills room filled with  hostile ranchers and outfitters, mostly clad in T-shirts with the slogan "Bobbitt Bruce Babbit"!  He said his piece and made a hasty retreat!!  Priceless!

HAHA....dori36, I really like the way your mind works!  Most folks from Boulder, Colorado would not be welcome in just about any Wyoming town!!.  Wyoming folks hate Colorado people.....call us "Greenies" (color of our licence plates)!

Funny story about Mr. Bobbit.  While he was "recuperating", he stayed at a local guest ranch.  When he was spotted, you would have thought the Pope had come to town.  You all know what the old farmers wanted to ask him!?! :)))

dori36

From cowz:  <<HAHA....dori36, I really like the way your mind works!  Most folks from Boulder, Colorado would not be welcome in just about any Wyoming town!!.  Wyoming folks hate Colorado people.....call us "Greenies" (color of our licence plates)!>>

Not 'everyone' in CO is hated by Wyomingites, but we do call y'all "greenies" for the license plates and for the enviro mindset of many.  We also call Boulder "The Peoples Republic of Boulder"!!  My son lived in Boulder for a few years (he still has a small condo there which will probably be on the market t his summer.) and I actually loved visiting him there.  L ike a good tourist, I love the Pearl St. area!  Fabulous people watching opportunities there!