Bovine Leukosis

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

What does anyone know about this? Just curious....have a neighbor that tried to flush a cow and when they ran blood, she said they wouldn't flush her due to the fact she had bovine leukosis. So what's the scoop????

Cowboy

BLV -- Bovine Leukosis Virus - is a VERY communicable disease. It is spread by blood contact (Dirty needls etc) and once aquired, is not curable.

Assuming the donor cow was to be transported to another facility, and once they found out, they refused her due to the quarantine needed to maintain the health status oif all the others there.

You know me very well, I have mentioned many times my protocol on the donors here -- every donor gets her own bottle of FSH, and her own needles, we NEVER comingle the drugs when several are working. This is one of those reasons I do that -- several things come to mind that are possible from comingling. BVD, Anaplasmosis, BLV and on and on.

BLV is impossible to treat as I understand, so the only treatment would be prevention. Quarantine from infected animals.

At least now you know why I have been so darn fussy hey?? hehehehe

Hope all is well in Iowa -- we miss ya already!

Terry

DL

BLV - quick and dirty
Caused by a virus
as Cowboy says - easily transmitted - needles, sleeves, dehorning scoops, castrating knives etc - anything where blood could be
also probably biting insects
very common in dairy - don't know the prevalence in beef
not curable not treatable
approximately1% will develop bovine lymphoma and or leukemia

preventino
single use needles
single use sleeves
or if you can't do that change when you see blood
clean anything with blood on it btwn animals

more later - flooded barn (dry as a bone- iatrogenic flooding....still cleaning....need rain...need sleep

Show Heifer

I ask my question in a bit of a hurry, so here are a few details.
My friend (I use that term loosely now) has the cow with leukosis. She is a registered gelv breeder and SELLS BULLS AND HEIFERS to others. I have told her to sell the carrier and test her others, but of course "that's my best/favorite cow. I'm not gonna sell HER."  And so she continues.  Just a few days ago, she leased a bull to a neighbor of mine that in the past I have developed and AI'd his heifers.  I explained to him (several times, for the last 5 months at least) how I felt about BLV and that it WAS spreadable to another herd.  Well, SHE delivered him a bull that had been returned to her from another breeder as being no-good. She claimes it was because they semen tested him when it was cold (March). But he is good now.  She has had one herd bull go bad 4 years ago for no apparent reason, and has had a bull returned every year since due to going bad after passing a semen check before leaving the farm. SOMETHING ISN"T RIGHT HERE....as she only sells 3-5 bulls a year.  But when I suggest she look into the fertility problems (her bulls never test good until they are at least 14-15 months old) she gets mad and indignate.  I have told my neighbor I was not going to help him anymore with his cattle and told my "friend" she too was also out of luck.  So now of course I am a big witch. :mad:
So what is everyones take on this? Am I being paranoid? Should I start playing "not so nice" (although some claim I already have)? I am mad at my "friend". I am mad at my neighbor. And I am tired of being made the bad guy!!

justintime

Hi show heifer,
I suppose you have the right to be a little paranoid when it comes to a bovine disease that has no cure. That being said, having a positive test for Leukosis, means that the cow is carrying the virus, not that she has active signs. This disease is similar to Johnes in that regard, in that a cow may carry the virus for years without actively showing signs of the disease, and oftentimes, they are sent to town before they do. I would suspect there are lots of cattle in the general beef population that would have a positive test and their owners may never know, as Leukosis is a disease that is oftentimes never tested for. Johnes is that way. I have read some studies on Johne's that indicate that approximately 35% of the dairy cows , and about 10-15% of beef cows in North America  test positive for the Johne's virsus. Both Johne's and Leukosis  seem to work similarly in that they are oftentimes passed on the the baby calf through colostrum, and usually symptoms do not show up until the animals is much older, and oftentimes, never do show before the cow is culled from the herd. One of the sysptoms of leukosis is staggering and eventual loss of use of their back legs, so I would think many would  think they may be looking at BSE, and would simply shoot, shovel and shutup.
My only experience with Leukosis, occured over 30 years ago. The first Irish Shorthorn bull that we brought from Ireland was quarantined in Ireland for two months and then quarantined in a government facility here in Canada and thoughally tested for everything. He passed all his tests and we picked him up and took him to a AI unit to collect some semen. He passed all his entry tests and was again put in a quarantine barn at the stud, as at that time, all bulls had to pass all their tests 30 days later. In the 30 day tests he was positive for leukosis. I was told by the AI unit manager to take the bull home, hit him with massive doses of penicillin and retest as oftentimes that was all that was required to get an animal to test negative. We were never able to get him to pass the leukosis test again. Since none of the animal health officals seemed to be real concerned over this disease we decided to use him in our herd anyways. He died on the operating table at 15 years of age from a heart attack, while being operated on for a twisted gut. I am not sure if there is a better test available now, than there was in those days.
In regards to your neighbours cow, it is possible that none of you would have ever known she was positive for leukosis if she had not been sent to the ET center. This leads me to suspect that there are lots of other cases like this , as there are for Johne's. In my uneducated opinion, I would think that I would be more concerned about Johnes... not that Leukosis is not a serious disease. There are lots of scientists who suspect there is a possible link between Johne's and the human diseases of  colitis and other intestinal and digestive disorders. I shutter every time I think of the possibility of this being proven. If this is ever done ( and it probaly more a case of when than if) I think this will be the biggest whammy the beef industry ever experienced, including BSE. Beef markets could drop  drastically and it may take years for it to recover. I am not aware of leukosis being possibly linked to any human conditions. We already know that Johne's is virtually everywhere in varying degrees and it is one of the hardest diseases to test for and iradicate.
So on that happy note..... have a great day!

red

From Merck Veterinary Manual:

Enzootic bovine leukosis is a viral disease of adult cattle characterized by neoplasia of lymphocytes and lymph nodes. The prevalence of infection in a herd may be high, but only a few animals develop fatal lymphosarcoma. Infection is spread by contact with contaminated blood from an infected animal. Sporadic bovine leukosis consists of juvenile, thymic, and cutaneous lymphosarcomas. These may resemble enzootic bovine leukosis, but affected animals are seronegative for bovine leukemia virus (BLV). 
Outbreaks of lymphosarcoma in sheep have been observed with clinical, epidemiologic, hematologic, and necropsy findings similar to those of enzootic bovine leukosis. Infection of other species with BLV has not been demonstrated. Epidemic occurrences of lymphosarcoma have been observed in pigs. Cases in horses are sporadic.
Etiology, Transmission, and Epidemiology:
Enzootic bovine leukosis is caused by BLV, an exogenous C-type oncovirus in the family Retroviridae. Infection occurs by iatrogenic transfer of infected lymphocytes and is followed by a permanent antibody response and, less frequently, development of persistent lymphocytosis or lymphosarcoma. This form is rarely seen in animals <2 yr of age and is most common in the 4- to 8-yr age group. Sporadic bovine leukosis occurs in 3 forms: 1) juvenile in calves <6 mo old, characterized by multiple lymph node enlargement; 2) thymic in cattle <2 yr old, characterized by a swelling in the neck causing bloat and edema; and 3) cutaneous in cattle 1-3 yr old, characterized by the development of nodes and plaques in the skin. There is no evidence that these forms of sporadic bovine leukosis are caused by an infectious agent. 
Prevalence rates within cattle herds in the USA range from 0-100%. The disease does not spread rapidly, but in infected herds the number of seropositive animals may be 80%. Dairy cattle are more commonly infected than beef cattle and have a higher incidence of lymphosarcoma. In severely affected dairy herds, the annual mortality rate may be as high as 5%. All breeds of cattle are susceptible to BLV infection. Infection occurs rarely in animals <2 yr of age and increases in incidence with increasing age. Lymphosarcoma is one of the 3 main causes of condemnation at slaughter.
Horizontal transmission is the usual method of spread. Close physical contact and exchange of contaminated biologic materials are required. The virus is present mostly in lymphocytes and can be found in the blood, milk, and tumors. Susceptible cattle usually become infected by exposure to infected lymphocytes. Natural transmission occurs mostly in cattle >1.5 yr old, usually during the summer months between in-contact animals and possibly by insect or bat transmission of infected lymphocytes in whole blood. An increased risk of infection in dairy cattle during the periparturient period suggests that vaginal secretions, exudates and placentas from cows, and contaminated calving instruments may serve as sources of infected blood cells. 
Transmission can occur via contaminated surgical instruments, eg, dehorning gouges, ear tattooing pliers, and hypodermic needles. Transmission can also occur during blood transfusions, tuberculin testing, and administration of vaccines containing blood. Transmission via infective milk is possible by the passage of infected lymphocytes through intestinal mucosal epithelium during the first few hours of life. However, infection via this route is rare, possibly because of the presence of maternal antibodies in the milk. Congenital infection is seen in 4-8% of calves born from BLV-positive cows, presumably as a result of transplacental exposure to the virus during gestation.
Infection is not synonymous with clinical disease. Lymphosarcoma, the terminal stage of BLV infection involving the clonal transformation of infected B cells, occurs in <5% of BLV-infected cattle.
Outbreaks of leukosis typically follow the introduction of BLV-infected animals in farms or areas previously free of the virus. The level of calf management in dairy herds is also a major risk factor. Any environmental factor or management practice that allows newborn calves access to infective blood, such as prolonged close contact of cow and calf immediately after parturition, use of colostrum or milk from seropositive cows, use of contaminated equipment or needles, and large fly populations in calf barns, will increase infection rates in calves.

Pathogenesis:
Exposure of cattle to BLV leads to 4 possible outcomes: 1) failure of the animal to become infected, probably due to genetic resistance, 2) establishment of a permanent infection and the development of detectable antibody levels (latent carriers), 3) establishment of a permanent infection and a persistent benign lymphocytosis, or 4) development of malignant lymphosarcoma, with or without persistent lymphocytosis. Whether the animal becomes infected or develops any of the other forms of the disease depends on its genetic constitution and immune status and on the infective dose of virus.

Clinical Findings:

Bovine leukosis, enlarged lymph nodes
tn_genrl901.jpg

Enzootic bovine leukosis is characterized by multiple cases of adult, multicentric lymphosarcoma within a herd, with tumors developing rapidly in many sites and thus variable clinical signs. The usual incubation period is 4-5 yr. Persistent lymphocytosis without clinical signs occurs earlier, but rarely before 2 yr of age. Many cows remain in the preclinical stage for years, often for their complete productive lifetime, without any apparent reduction in performance.
In 5-10% of clinical cases the course is peracute; often affected animals die suddenly without prior evidence of illness. Involvement of the adrenal glands, rupture of an abomasal ulcer, or an affected spleen followed by acute internal hemorrhage are known causes. In most clinical cases, the course is subacute (up to 7 days) to chronic (several months) and initiated by an unexplainable loss of body condition, anorexia, pallor, and muscular weakness. Production may drop abruptly in dairy cows. The heart rate is not increased unless the myocardium is involved, and the temperature is normal unless tumor growth is rapid and extensive, when it rises to 103-104°F (39.5-40°C). Once signs of clinical illness and tumor development are detectable, the course is rapid and death occurs in 2-3 wk.

Bovine leukosis, skin lesions
tn_genrl01.jpg

The superficial lymph nodes enlarge in 75-90% of cases, and this is often an early clinical finding. It is usually accompanied by small (1 cm diameter) subcutaneous lesions, often on the flanks and perineum. However, peripheral lesions may be completely absent in many cases with advanced visceral involvement. Enlargement of visceral lymph nodes is common, but this is usually subclinical unless they compress other organs such as intestine or nerves. They may be palpable on rectal examination, and special attention should be give to the deep inguinal and iliac nodes. In advanced cases, extensive spread to the peritoneum and pelvic viscera occurs, and the tumor masses are easily palpable. The enlargement may be confined to the pelvic nodes or to one or more subcutaneous nodes. Involvement of the nodes of the head is sometimes observed, often with exophthalmos. The affected nodes are smooth and resilient; in dairy cows, they are easily seen and may be marked by local edema. Occasionally, the entire body surface is covered with subcutaneous masses 5-11 cm in diameter.
In addition to the lymph nodes, tissues most commonly affected include the abomasum, heart, spleen, kidneys, uterus, spinal meninges, and retrobulbar lymphatic tissue. Heart sounds are commonly muffled, and other cardiac abnormalities may be obvious. Neural lymphomatosis may lead to the gradual onset of posterior paralysis over several weeks.
The calf, thymic, and cutaneous forms are designated sporadic bovine leukosis. Clinical signs of calf lymphosarcoma include gradual weight loss, sudden generalized lymph node enlargement, depression, and weakness. Fever, tachycardia, and posterior paresis are less frequent signs. Death occurs in 2-8 wk. Signs of pressure on internal organs, including bloat and congestive heart failure, may occur.
Bone and bone marrow necrosis, with associated unthriftiness and inactivity, posterior ataxia, superficial lymph node enlargement, lameness, and respiratory distress have been recorded.
Thymic lymphosarcoma is a common finding in animals 1-2 yr of age and is characterized by massive thymic enlargement in the brisket area and lesions in bone marrow and regional lymph nodes. Jugular vein engorgement and marked brisket edema extending to the submandibular region are common. Moderate bloat due to inability to eructate because of esophageal compression may occur. The thymic mass is usually not palpable. This form is more common in beef than in dairy cattle. An atypical lymphosarcoma in a mature cow negative for BLV and similar to the thymic form has been reported.
The cutaneous form is most common in cattle 1-3 yr of age. It is rare and manifest by cutaneous plaques (1-5 cm diameter) appearing on the neck, back, croup, and thighs. Spontaneous regression may occur. Relapse may occur in 1-2 yr with reappearance of cutaneous lesions and involvement of internal organs as in the enzootic form of the disease. 
Lesions: 

Bovine leukosis, abomasal ulcer
tn_genrl902.jpg

Bovine leukosis, cardiac lesions
tn_genrl903.jpg

Firm, white tumors may be found in any organ, although 2 patterns of distribution are apparent. In newborn and young animals, the common sites are the kidneys, thymus, liver, spleen, and peripheral and internal lymph nodes. In adults, the heart, abomasum, and spinal cord are often involved. In the heart, the tumor masses invade particularly the right atrium, although they may be found throughout the myocardium and extend to the pericardium. The abomasal wall may show gross, uneven thickening with tumor material in the submucosa, particularly in the pyloric region. Similar lesions are common in the intestinal wall. Deep ulcerations in the affected area are not uncommon. Involvement of the nervous system usually includes thickening of the peripheral nerves coming from the last lumbar or first sacral cord segment, or more rarely, in a cranial cervical site. This may be associated with one or more circumscribed thickenings in the spinal meninges. Affected lymph nodes may be enlarged and composed of both normal and neoplastic tissue.
Lymphosarcoma may appear as discrete nodular masses or a diffuse tissue infiltrate. The latter pattern results in an enlarged, pale organ and can be easily misinterpreted as a degenerative change rather than neoplasia. Histologically, the tumor masses are composed of densely packed, monomorphic lymphocytic cells.

Diagnosis:
Because of the wide range of clinical findings, a definitive diagnosis is often difficult. Enlargement of peripheral lymph nodes without fever or lymphangitis is unusual in other diseases, except for tuberculosis, which can be differentiated by the tuberculin test. Diagnosis of the viral infection is made by serology or virology, persistent lymphocytosis is identified by hematology, and neoplastic tumors are identified by histologic examination of biopsies.
Agar gel immunodiffusion (AGID) is a good screening test for identifying infected animals or herds. It has an estimated specificity of 99.8% and sensitivity of 98.5%. This test is recognized by most governments as the official standard for testing imported animals. Radioimmunoassay is useful for the detection of BLV antibodies in cattle exposed ≤2 wk, in milk samples, and in serum samples from periparturient dams. Serum ELISA is more sensitive than other serologic tests and may also be used on milk. The ELISA may be used for pooled serum samples and allows detection of antibodies in herds with a prevalence of <1%. The bulk tank milk ELISA is useful for identification of herds that are negative for BLV infection. Herds identified as positive by the ELISA require further testing at the individual or herd level to definitively establish their BLV status.
In a control and eradication program, early detection of infected calves is difficult because colostral antibodies to BLV cannot be differentiated from antibodies resulting from natural infection. Calves that have ingested colostrum from seropositive cows usually have maternal antibodies; PCR is necessary to distinguish between infected and virus-free calves in such cases.
PCR is a sensitive and specific assay for direct diagnosis of BLV infection in peripheral blood lymphocytes. The test can identify proviral DNA of BLV in the lymphocytes of neonates born to infected cows, differentiate uninfected newborn calves with colostral antibodies from BLV-infected calves, and detect the presence of the virus in the presence of antibodies.
Enzootic bovine leukosis cannot be distinguished from sporadic bovine leukosis on histopathologic examination. ELISA is recommended to differentiate between enzootic and sporadic bovine leukosis because it is rapid, reliable, and sensitive. In cases in which no blood or other fluids are obtained, PCR is the most useful method for direct detection of BLV.

Treatment and Control:
There is no treatment, but the disease can be eradicated from a herd or country or controlled at a low level. Significant costs are associated with control and eradication programs. Denmark established a national program for control of the disease in 1959, Sweden introduced a control program in 1990 with the aim of complete eradication of BLV from the Swedish cattle population, and Britain introduced a national testing program in 1992. Voluntary eradication programs using the AGID test have been effective in other member countries of the European Community in the last 20 yr in reducing the prevalence of infection and disease. These programs have been successful in part because of the low prevalence of infection, and because the economic losses from culling seropositive cows has not been large.
In Canada and the USA, it is economically cost prohibitive to cull and slaughter all seropositive cattle because of the high prevalence of infection. Thus, all control and eradication programs in these countries are herd-based and strictly voluntary. The efficiency of such programs depends on the accuracy of the test used to identify the infected animals and repetition of the test at an appropriate interval. The recommended procedure is: 1) identify infected animals using the AGID test, 2) cull and slaughter seropositive animals immediately, 3) retest the herd 30-60 days later, and 4) use PCR to test young calves and as a complementary test for clarifying doubtful test results in herds with a low prevalence of infection. Testing is repeated until the herd tests negative. Testing is then repeated every 6 mo and the herd declared free when there have been no positive reactors for 2 yr. Future introductions into the herd are managed most safely by artificial insemination, fertilized ovum transfer, or importation of animals that have been tested and are seronegative on 2 tests, done 30 and 60 days prior to arrival.
In herds with a high prevalence of infection, in which the test and slaughter method of eradication is not economically viable, various methods of testing and segregation may be used to control infection. Seropositive cows cannot be exported to many countries.

Prevention:
Several management techniques can be used to prevent infection in calves. Feeding newborn calves colostrum and milk from seronegative cows has been widely accepted as effective in preventing infection. The use of colostrum and milk from seronegative cows permits early serologic detection of infected calves. However, feeding colostrum from seropositive cows can provide significant protection from infection during the first 3 mo of life. The replacement of whole milk feeding with high-quality milk replacer may also be considered. Bloody milk should not be fed to calves.
Transmission to newborn calves can also be reduced by avoiding exposure to maternal blood at the time of parturition, housing calves in individual hutches with individual feeders and waterers, and implementing management techniques that avoid iatrogenic transmission. When handling a group of calves, the youngest ones should be handled first and the older and sick calves last. Equipment that could act as fomites in transferring blood should be disinfected with chlorhexidine between calves.
Dehorning calves by electrocautery before 2 mo of age can reduce the prevalence of infection compared with gouge dehorning, which allows the transfer of infected blood between calves. Handling facilities that become contaminated with blood should be cleaned between calves. Single disposable needles should be used for vaccination, treatments, and blood collection. Transmission can be reduced by segregation of seropositive and seronegative cows. Use of individual sleeves for rectal palpation may also be considered.
Infection in a herd can be prevented by ensuring that all imports into the herd have tested seronegative at least 30 days prior to arrival. Control of biting insect vectors is desirable. Blood transfusions and vaccines containing blood, such as those used for babesiosis and anaplasmosis are particularly potent means of spreading the disease, and donors must be carefully screened. Embryo transfer from valuable, pedigreed seropositive cows may aid in reducing prenatal infection. Insemination is not a method of transmission.

DL

justintime said:
Hi show heifer,
I suppose you have the right to be a little paranoid when it comes to a bovine disease that has no cure. That being said, having a positive test for Leukosis, means that the cow is carrying the virus, not that she has active signs. This disease is similar to Johnes in that regard, in that a cow may carry the virus for years without actively showing signs of the disease, and oftentimes, they are sent to town before they do. I would suspect there are lots of cattle in the general beef population that would have a positive test and their owners may never know, as Leukosis is a disease that is oftentimes never tested for. Johnes is that way. I have read some studies on Johne's that indicate that approximately 35% of the dairy cows , and about 10-15% of beef cows in North America  test positive for the Johne's virsus. Both Johne's and Leukosis  seem to work similarly in that they are oftentimes passed on the the baby calf through colostrum, and usually symptoms do not show up until the animals is much older, and oftentimes, never do show before the cow is culled from the herd.

JIT - just read your first paragraph and had to respond - please do not compare Johne's to BLV - they are so different both in their cause (virus vs bacteria), transmission (ie Johne's in manure primarily), pathogenesis (how they cause disease), testing (there is a good test to find BLV), and outcome, and economic impact. BLV is an issue primarily for ET, semen shipping out of the country
only 1% of cattle with the virus develop lymphoma/leukemia - usually age 6 or more
ALL bovines with JD die of their disease (unless they reach their demise in another way)

They are in no way alike - more later

Show Heifer - I see two issues - BLV and bull infertility - Ill be back

justintime

Sorry DL, You are correct. MY wording left the wrong idea. The only  real comparison with these two diseases is that there is no cure for either. I understand that leukosis is viral , but I was just saying that oftentimes, carriers  can be infected with either disease for a  period of time before any clinical signs are observed, and oftentimes, especially in dairy cattle, they are sold before this occurs. Johne's is the worst for this. From what I have been told both can be passed on to offspring through milk, that is probably not the primary way each is spread. Leukosis is spread through blood, eg: using same needles between animals etc, while Johnes is spread mainly through manure.
I probably should have not used any comparison as these diseases are totally different. Sorry for confusing the issue.

DL

justintime said:
Sorry DL, You are correct. MY wording left the wrong idea. The only  real comparison with these two diseases is that there is no cure for either. I understand that leukosis is viral , but I was just saying that oftentimes, carriers  can be infected with either disease for a  period of time before any clinical signs are observed, and oftentimes, especially in dairy cattle, they are sold before this occurs. Johne's is the worst for this. From what I have been told both can be passed on to offspring through milk, that is probably not the primary way each is spread. Leukosis is spread through blood, eg: using same needles between animals etc, while Johnes is spread mainly through manure.
I probably should have not used any comparison as these diseases are totally different. Sorry for confusing the issue.

JIT - if the infidels thought I was a zealot on PHA wait til I get on my Johne's disease band wagon! ;D Didn't mean to jump on you - just finished day 2 of cleaning out the barn I flooded by foolishly leaving the water on for a very long time when I read your post - probably was a little cranky - didn't mean to crank on you of all people!  (lol)
You are correct that both can be passed thru milk/colostrum, BLV is primarily blood and JD is primarily manure but can also be transmitted in utero and in milk - (generally with clinically affected cows for the latter). Manure covered teats and contaminated ponds are the biggies----the boys (I know you are out there Jason and Austin) have a series of articles on JD that they promised to post ,,,,,,,should help inform people about JD.

I was wearing my Edmonton Oilers shirt in town today (always fun in Dead WIng land) - as a Canadian - which is your team? dl

justintime

DL,
I grew up as a die hard Toronto Make Belief fan, but after many many years of their wallowing in No Mans Land, I  was starting to get a complex.( although I think if they ever decided to ever get with the program and put a team on the ice, it would be easy for me to become a believer again). I guess I have two favorite teams, those being.... the Calgary Flames.......... and whoever is playing Edmonton. Sorry DL, I am sure you are reeling in total misbelief and shock at this moment.... but I cannot tell a lie.
Have no fear, we still have alot in common( well I think we do, but you probably totally written me off from my hockey alliances). I don't think you have seen me on my TH and PHA bandwagon yet... nor have you seen me on my Johne's bandwagon. To me, of the three, Johne's is the most concerning. TH and PHA are MAJOR issues and I get close to raging mad when I see comments from pinheads that think these defects will never affect anyone as long as you never cross two carriers. I question how people who have this kind of logic ever got driver's licences.... or remembered how to get to town as there is simply zero logic in their arguements. The more I deal with people like this...... the better I like cows!
The concerning thing to me about Johne's is that it was a major concern over 90 years ago,.... and very little has changed in detection and in stopping it's spread. When I was a kid, I remember my grandfather talking about it, and telling dad and myself to never allow it on our farm. I have read some of his old books that were stuck away in the attic, written many years ago, and they were concerned then about it's spread. I have even read some studies that suggest that there may be a component where it can actually skip a generation in cattle. Now that really is scary.
I have sat on a committee of government for several years,here is Canada, trying to develop policy regarding Johne's and it is the most frustrating thing I have ever done. It is like herding cats as there are about as many opinions as to how to manage and proceed as there are people at the table. I think it is only a matter of time before it will be a reportable disease, like brucellosis and TB, where affected herds will be quarantined.... but I thought this 20 years ago as well.

But right now, my major concern is with your misguided hockey alliances. Have you ever thought about therapy for this problem?

DL

Well, Buffalo fans are very loyal and as a BFLO born and bred  individual I am a SARBES fan (for decades actually, back when goalies didn't wear masks- ouch; do you remember the French Connection? Montreal's Dryden? Bobby Orr?)...so I can't say I am an Edmonton fan (the therapy took) but the shirt was a gift in exchange for TH and PHA information from a Canadian friend who actually was a Calgary fan but it was the Oilers who were in the race for the cup last year (and the shirt does say Smyth # 94) so there you go - and anything but the Red Wings in MI is always fun (people have Red Wings flags on their cars year round,,,,hmmm)

I also have the Toronto fantasy - not fond of the Senators (but did like them more than the Ducks) - have a bit of an issue with hocky in Florida - just doesn't seem "right" (lol) how can you hav ehockey with no snow and no outdoor ice in your back yard??

Johne's - I think we need to start a post ....good topic for discussion - been thinking it was about time, always a pleasure,  have a great night, dl

red

I like that idea! How about DL's disease or condition of the month?

Red

Show Heifer

Thanks everyone.....I have decided the following (so far anyway)....I am just going to have to be a witch. I know the likely hood of my herd getting infected may be low, but heck, I have never played the odds yet so why start now??!!  :)
I will tell my neighbor I can no longer develope his heifers, nor will I help my "friend" work her cattle. (She is one of those that "forgets" to buy stuff and borrows mine anyway) and I guess if they don't like it, well, so be it.  I have tried really hard to develope of herd that I am proud of, that are disease free, and work for me. I am not going to KNOWINGLY jeopordize that.  :mad:
It is true that BLV is rarely diagnosised and might be more prevelant than known, but hey, if ya know about it, why would you continue to spread it?  Not to mention her fertility problems in bulls!! Selling the cows bulls into other herds?  Wasn't this (its not that prevelant, so lets hush up) an issue with TH/PHA.....the breeders knew about it, but decided to kep it quiet until it couldn't be ignored any more. Wouldn't it be easier to control something that is not yet out of control???
Off to the baseball game!!!! Yippy!!!! :p

DL

Show Heifer said:
Thanks everyone.....I have decided the following (so far anyway)....I am just going to have to be a witch. I know the likely hood of my herd getting infected may be low, but heck, I have never played the odds yet so why start now??!!  :)
I will tell my neighbor I can no longer develope his heifers, nor will I help my "friend" work her cattle. (She is one of those that "forgets" to buy stuff and borrows mine anyway) and I guess if they don't like it, well, so be it.  I have tried really hard to develope of herd that I am proud of, that are disease free, and work for me. I am not going to KNOWINGLY jeopordize that.  :mad:
It is true that BLV is rarely diagnosised and might be more prevelant than known, but hey, if ya know about it, why would you continue to spread it?  Not to mention her fertility problems in bulls!! Selling the cows bulls into other herds?  Wasn't this (its not that prevelant, so lets hush up) an issue with TH/PHA.....the breeders knew about it, but decided to kep it quiet until it couldn't be ignored any more. Wouldn't it be easier to control something that is not yet out of control???
Off to the baseball game!!!! Yippy!!!! :p

Makes sense to me -  I think that is a rational approach - if nice doesn't work I go for witch too!  ;Dif you really want to you can test your herd for BLV - simple and accurate blood test, also inexpensive. That way you will know what you are dealing with. I also don't believe in jeopardizing my herd just because people are stupid and refuse to become educated or are lazy and don't do the right thing - witch on!
! (lol)

DL

justintime said:
Again...... the more I deal with people, the better I like cows!

I am crushed...and just when I thought I had a hockey pal.... :'( :'( :'(

actually in general I do prefer the company of cows to many but not all humans 
(cow)