Brand identification

Help Support Steer Planet:

Alscows

I have recently bought 35 cows, just commercial type Angus.  They all or most have two or three brands on them.  I have looked for ID all over the internet but can't find any.  I'm just curious as to the origins and bloodlines.  One looks like a Lazy or rocking S.  the other could be a Hanging T?

KSanburg

If you know what state they come from you can call that states brand board and find out where they came from. Might be difficult if they have been around the block a few times.

dori36

From your question I'm assuming you didn't buy them in a state that requires brand papers to accompany the cattle.  That's too bad because it would give you a start to find the origin or to track the 2 or 3 owners who branded them.  Where did the seller get them?  Sale barn?  Go back to them and try find who consigned them.  No brand papers means you'll have to do some detective work.

Alscows said:
I have recently bought 35 cows, just commercial type Angus.  They all or most have two or three brands on them.  I have looked for ID all over the internet but can't find any.  I'm just curious as to the origins and bloodlines.  One looks like a Lazy or rocking S.  the other could be a Hanging T?

Alscows

i bought these pairs through a broker in Ohio no brand papers needed.  I am not very familiar with brands.  Only know that western cattle always have them.  Some of these cows are real nice.  Some have 1 brand others have 3.  All that are branded have 1 brand in common.  i do not know what state they originated in.

KSanburg

While you purchased them a commercial cow (I assume) you might look to see if they have a tattoo in the ear, while a breeder might have a ranch letter sequence they may also have a bangs vaccination tattoo that will give the state of origin, possibly. That may lend a starting place to look for a brand. I do not know about the eastern states but most of the western states have a bangs vac. if they go out of state as a breeding animal and it has to be done before they are 12 months of age.

Alscows

Yeah most of them have bangs tags(metal clip on top of ear).  I haven't taken them through a chute yet to see any ear tatoos.  I will soon.