Brangus question?

Help Support Steer Planet:

deep

I have a good friend, he is also my small animal vet, and he loves Brangus cattle.  He even got himself a subscription to the Brangus journal recently.  His family do not own cattle.  They have some very nice horses though.  I have noticed on these cattle sites that there is never much mention of the Brangus breed.  I really don't pay attention, but I don't recall seeing Brangus cattle listed at shows.  What is the deal with Brangus cattle?  Are they not so popular?  If not, why not?  Thanks. (dog)

red

Deep, since the Brangus breed is better adapted to warmer dryer climates you probably see a lot more in Texas & other areas like that. I think typically they don't finish out as quickly as your other crosses. also might not be as clean fronted as most jackpot steers would be. I'm sure that they have some excellent cattle in their own breed shows.
Good question, maybe we can get some input from actual Brangus breeders. Wonder in there are mini Brangus is the works?
Red (cow)

deep

There is a small herd of Brangus cattle about eight miles from me.  They look (to me) like they're carrying some extra luggage up front.  I know that comes from the Brahma.

(dog)

red

deep said:
There is a small herd of Brangus cattle about eight miles from me.  They look (to me) like they're carrying some extra luggage up front.  I know that comes from the Brahma.

(dog)
You are right Deep, the Brahma crosses are usually very distinctive with ever the extra skin under the neck or even a small hump. Floppy ears are another dead give away. We had a cow at the farm that had some Brahma in her. Very unique looking animal. Crossed with the right bulls & she produced some nice calves.
Red

Joe Boy

My brother has 120 head of brangus that he is breeding to club calf bulls.  They have a little extra up front, but mostly ear, large sheath in the bulls/steers, and are not generally as thick.  They are easy calving, from the bulls due to the shape of the baby which is long and narrow and generally small.  The cows can have a big calf due to the shape of their rear ends, pin bones and track.  You have to select them on disposition.  They are not generally as docile as the Angus, but contrary to popular belief the Brahmas are generally good dispositioned.  I think the mommas make great mothers in the brangus, and are very hardy on the open ranges of Texas and the west.  Some really have bad dispositions and that could be due to not being handled.  I bought an Angus bull from a man who raises both Angus and brangus and he told me that since he is getting older the brangus were going to have to go.  My dad often uses brangus bulls on his heifers.  One bull had a full sister to later win Denver.  He had a great disposition, but when his heifers were crossed with Limousin's there was a real nasty attitude that came out.

garybob

Brangus cattle can be fine mothers and the bulls have a lot to offer. More like tropically-adapted Angus. Remember, not everyone lives in corn country, or areas with much winter. Always remember, form should follow function, and not vice versa. Go to both the Brangus website, and the Red Angus website. The RAAA handles the registry for "Angus Plus" cattle.  As far as negative remarks about their disposition, keep in mind that many Brangus cows are left to fend for themselves from calving to weaning. Especially in the South and SW, there are more predators to contend with. It can also depend on how they are handled.

DL

Deep - Just as an FYI (this would be cocktail chatter type talk!) many of the top notch PBR type bucking bulls have a touch of Brangus or Brahman cattle in them.

I haven't had much dealings with them, the only ones I've worked with were "difficult" but the owner was an idiot so I didn't hold it against the cattle! Up here it seems to me the only people who have them either are stock contractors or think they are stock contractors (the latter I worry about ;D ;D ;D

garybob - welcome aboard - glad to have you join us and provide your insights! DL

justme

Not many in NW missouri.  They seem to get docked at the sale barn.  The droopy ears eliminate them from CAB program.  I just think its too cold here for them.  Like DL said the rodeo people have them around here.  Once in a while you see one mixed in a pasture of commercial cattle

deep

Thanks for all the Brangus/Brahma info.  Appreciate it.

(dog)