Breaking a calve to lead

Help Support Steer Planet:

sfajacks2010

Need some tips to help with breaking our steer to lead. My son has been working with him everyday but he just doesn't like to lead. When I get behind him, he lunges forward and I don't even touch him.

heatherleblanc

One of the biggest things I find is to give them lots of slack, and then start pulling and slowly increase the pressure, as soon as they step forward at all (whether is be 2 steps or only an inch forward with one foot), give them lots of slack, and then repeat it.  Try not to pull really hard right away, just start with a little pull and slowly increase, with steady pressure, don't be super jerky, and then just remember to release the pressure as soon as they step forward.  Another thing is that he may not like having people around him, which is why he could be really jumpy when you get close behind him.  So when I first start halterbreaking (and even after a while), I like to walk around them lots, talk to them, touch them all over.  This way he doesn't just bolt when you walk up behind him.

sj0515

If you have other cattle that are broke to lead alot of times they will follow them. If not try tieing him up for awhile before you feed and then lead him to the bucket.

bteam

We use the ring halters from Sullivan's to start out with.  They have more give than they reg. rope halters.  For the really stubborn ones, my husband has made a halter out of wire/cable that he uses to get their attention. (Usually only have to use it once)

CMANGUS

I had a heifer that did this and what I had to do is just keep leading in a circle, but once I got her to go a half to a full revolution in a big circle without lunging or jumping forward then we were done for the day.  did this two days in a row then left alone for two days and from that point on she was broke to lead no problems.  another thing is tie their head up, makes them tired, and also makes them flex in the neck muscles better.  make sure you stay and watch them if you haven't tied them up before sometimes they can get stupid.  just things that have worked for us.