breaking the unbreakable

Help Support Steer Planet:

rf

I need some help.  I've got a january heifer calf that we can't get broke.  She is tie broke but puts her head down and runs the other way when you try to lead her.  we've tried leading her with a tractor and she trots along fine.  she has spent hours for weeks tied up, we've rinsed her and blown her but she still puts her head down and throws it away and runs when you try to lead her.  She's not wild and has never kicked.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  ???

knabe

i can tell the difference between a human and a tractor.

get in small pen and leave rope slack.  when they stop, pet, scratch, repeat.

shortyjock89

If you can keep her from getting her head down in the first place, then you should be alright.  I have a september calf that is the same way, and she's been a struggle. I just try to keep her head up and walk her slow, and keep her from getting her head in front of me.  It might take a couple more weeks, but go slow and she should improve.  

frostback

I have done this before with success. Put a longer halter on the other side of her head. Tie it to a solid post ahead of her. Walk her toward the post and let her break away but stay with her until she hits the end of the long halter. She will not know that the post stopped her instead of you. This is for adults to do as she may flip over and you need to stay out of her way some. Try to use a rope short enough so she cant get going fast enough to flip but long enough that she thinks she is getting away. After she is stopped do as Knabe said and scratch and rub her. Also use a show stick always. When she gets to like it ask for a step and scratch ask for another and scratch then ask for a few and scratch. Keep her beside a fence so she cant see much daylight in front of her. After she is doing good beside a fence slowly start going away from it. Frostie

sawboss

I agree with all of the above techniques, but will add that on the runners we use a Big Jim breaking halter that can be purchased from Sullivans.  Really gets their attention and helps control the head.  Good luck.

Latest posts