Breaking to Lead

Help Support Steer Planet:

the_resa86

I have a heifer that I got a late start on (she is a year old) and is not broke to lead.  She is broke to tie and is a baby to work on but when I try to lead her anywhere she wants to take off and run away.  I would really appreciate any tips that anyone has on the best way to get her broke to lead in a short period of time.  Thanks in advance.

redwingfarm

Been down your road before, the best thing to do is get/borrow a donkey.  Tie the calf to the donkey's neck strap and let them go for 3-4 days, after 3-4 days the calf will be happy to do what ever you want.  be sure to tie the calf close to the donkey 8-10" between the calf and donkey

JbarL

if she dosnt try to run"over" you and is just running  "away "from you...you can try a long lead.( watch the line aroung your feet!!)........when she bolts let the lead slide through your hands insead of try to "hold" her....she how far she goes...if she stops "pulling" when  you stop "holding"  thats step one....if she takes the rope and runs "away" with it see how long before she stops  ( ie....does she stop as soon as you  quit "holding on" or does she stop when "all" of the rope is out of your hand...or does she just bolt for the hills??.....good luck and be safe>>>jbarl

Bawndoh

The donkey might not work because she knows she can get away from you, and she will learn that she cannot get away from the donkey.  As soon as you try to lead her again she might try to bolt again.  Always try to stay beside or in front of her shoulder.  If you ever get behind her shoulder you are done because then she has ALL of her strength!!  If she tries to run, get yourself just in front of her shoulder and really throw all of your weight into pulling her sideways.  At this part of ther body they have very little leverage over you, and you will throw her off balance.  She will think "hey, this person is really strong", and the more you can yank her around and get her off balance the more she will realize not to mess with you.  I would not reccomend this at all, but "up north" here in Canada, we have ice and snow most of the year, so cattle can slip easily on it.  Once or twice I have gathered my footing really well when the calf has tried to run off.  I got to that area where I was the strongest (just in front of her shoulder), and yanked so hard the calf wiped out on the ice.  NOT reccomending this to anyone.  It sort of happened by accident a few times!  Anyways, the calf then REALLY realized very quickly who was boss!!
I would actually reccomend that YOU have good footing, so you never fall or get dragged under a calf at any point in time.  Good Luck!

nosejob8807

im pretty sure if she knows she can get away, she probably wont stop. me & a friend tried to break a yearlin brangus (ya i know, brangus) heifer one time.. couldnt do it.. even put her on a donkey! that didnt do anything. she would pull us and we would go "skiing", even with both of us, one on each side. could do anything to her though, give her a bath, blow her, clip her.. anything just couldnt lead her.

knabe

get a long lead on her that is longer than a pen is.  if she wants to run, let her.  she has to know that won't work, so let her find out.  work on getting her to give to the rope and release, and NEVER hold when she takes her head, just let the rope go, then go back to having her give her inside leg, release.  do the scratching stuff, never pull, let her find the slack.  dont' put yourself in a position where you need to get out of her way as she this will teach her to just push into your space.  eventually there should be some improvement.  work on both sides so both of her eyes are used to you.  this is underestimated.  find a way to use a chute or something to get the halter on so you don't have to chase her for an hour to get it on.  do the feed tricks, but watch out for snorts as this can indicate her wanting to take you out.  basically you have to break down her urge to get you away from her and let her want to be with you.

young showman

well i had a similar problem if she is scared of you then try a nice approach. If she is just bolting to bolt away try buying a spring loaded nose ring it just clips on and thats what broke mine.laterzzz ;)

red

there is an article on breaking a calf on the front page of the website. hope it helps.
http://www.steerplanet.com/content/view/26/52/

Red

I have never really had a problem with calves running on me. Usually they do not want to move for me. But this may or may not work. I have heard and seen people take two halters and put one on each side of the head and have one person holding each lead. That will really bring their head down and hopefull they will stop. Sometimes they will just fight it and then you have a really big problem on your hands. If that happens I have seen people put a rope around their two front legs and if they take off the pull on the ropes and the calf goes down. I do not really recommend this because of risk to injury. But I really do recommend the two leads on the head.

renegade

I put a post on a while ago about a similar problem. My steer would put his face down and run. Tonight he bloated BADDDDDD and i made my way to the squeeze chute with him and when i let him out i thought he was gonna run out so i wrapped the rope around part of the chute so i could hold him better but if he go in any trouble all i had to do is let go.  well he didnt run out but i kept it wrapped cause i knew that he would try and drag me and what do you know he tried  ::) but it held him and he put his nose so far down he went on his needs twice but since i was there he thought i was holding him. he stopped pulling, i let him go, and i led him to his pen. He pulled a little/ walked sideways a little but never broke or pulled

farmboy

i did something this past fall when i was breaking a calf, we had just gotten, halter never been on before, i didnt tie her up the first time, i simply grabbed the rope and let her run around me, me pivoting along with  her, keeping tension of course,she would get tired and quit for a minute, and i pulled up on the rope close to her and scratched her. She didnt like that and we went at it agian for about 10 more minutes. Doing the same thing, just circles and pet, then i rubbed some sweet feed all over the halter and my hand, did the same thing. She stopped going in circles and was gentle as dog, i could lead (not drag) this calf that had been haltered for 3 days out side ethe barn, like that easy.

just what i do, being a year old and bigger is gonna be a little tougher