breath easy

Help Support Steer Planet:

kamenter

My first one was bought on a breed heifer sale, and I had to pull it, a heifer, hard pull with puller, 95#'s,  and second one I sent to ISU while I left for a couple of days to show, and they had to put a zipper in the side to get him out !!! scaring me because I still have a couple to go!!!! Zipper calf weight was 111#'s.

ZNT

I hope these reports are not the norm. We have a cow due this fall to him. Still excited though.

starz20

I've had 3 Breathe Easy calves.  1st one weighed 71 lbs.,  2nd was 78 lbs. and one today was 68 lbs.  All out of heifers unassisted.  

Sundy

Kamenter, what kind of heifers where your calves out of? The heifer or cow has just as much influence genetically as the bull. Also, the feeding program and environment are highly influential on birthweights. Cold weather tends to build bigger calves, especially if the diet fed during the last trimester of pregnancy is high in energy. I hope your luck turns around, but the bull should not be a hard calving bull. However, this is his first calf crop and only time will tell. We own a flushmate to Breathe Easy, named Milestone, and we should be getting some calves soon. So, I will let you know how they come if this thread is still available.