Breed ''Head" Characteristics

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

I was wondering if anyone ever paid attention to this, anymore. I was looking at the April Shorthorn Country, and the pretty girl in the headgate on page 20 caught my eye.  I always think of the Commercial Shorthorn cows that were here in the Ozarks,in the 1970's when I was a littel feller. They had heads and faces just like that cow. Also, the Cumberland Cow of NHR also reminds me of this.

As for Bulls, "Pete" at dunphyshorthorns.com , has what I feel a modern Shorthorn Bull's head should look like. he exhibits enough masculinity, without having the look of a cow-killer.

The Angus and LowLine people haven't gotten too far away from ''Breed Character".

What are Y'all's thoughts on this?

GB

Jill

We raise several purebred  breeds and all of them have a head type, even Heat Wave has a head type.

showgirl2010

Yes, definitly.  Our herd bull throws a pretty little head on heifers and a little bit blockier head on bulls.  We usually just go by the head to tell which bull the calves are out of, but of course we do know anyway, but each bull/breed has their own characterics for the head.  Like Angus.  I do not like the anugs head for a heifer.  They are just too long and broad on most.  That just my opinoin though.

Jamie

Latest posts