Breed promotion magazines

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

I have wanted to post something for quite awhile and got the nudge today!

For some reason I get the magazine "Simtalk" from the Simmental Assoc (I think anyway). I have never bought a simmi heifer or bull (although I did buy some Meyer semen). And I LOVE the magazine!!! It has the best articles, not only about simmis, but about the cattle industry in general (cattle attitude vs. cost, crossbreeding programs, how to treat a yearling bull etc)  It has to be one of the most informational mag's I get.
I bought a limi bull several years ago, and also receive literature from the limi breed. It also contains great information about the breed, how to market cattle, disposition, carcass info etc.

I think both of these breeds should be commended for welcoming new folks to their breed, and for getting out information about their breed. These breeds are obviously not resting on their past and are growing forward!!
Good for them.  (clapping) (clapping)  And thank you for the magazines!! Please don't stop them!! ;D

By the way, the angus doesn't do anything like this that I know of....been a member for several years, bought bulls and have yet to receive a "thanks for coming aboard" call or letter.....kinda makes ya go "hmmmmmmm"!! :-\

DLD

Show Heifer, I got the Sim-Talk for awhile after buying my first registered Simmi's, and I always found it an informative and enjoyable read. I bought a couple of registered Angus bulls a year and a half ago and have been recieving something kind of similiar (I'm wanting to call it "The Angus Challenger" maybe??? ), but it seems to be almost ads and not alot of useful information otherwise.

(on edit - eek, my bad - sorry to those of you whose identities I had switched - it's been a long day)

stick

Show Heifer,
If (heaven forbid) the "clowns" happen to beat the Hawks, I hope you don't start getting Cyclone Weekly(or would it be weakly) or some mag like that. ;D ;D ;D

Show Heifer

Stick, I will literally cover my head with a paper bag if the clones beat my Hawks!!!
I think the clones mag is called "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!!" ;D

Go Hawks!!! In Kirk I trust!!! (clapping) (clapping)

Joe Boy

I get the Braunveh magazine and it was great articles.  I like the ones on recent producers who have become main stays in the business after 5 years or so of work.  I have never bought one animal that carries that bloodline, but I would have if Dr. Beevers had not discovered the DNA for PHA. 

I love cattle people.......  I have preached two old cowboys funerals and loved their stories.  One when he got too old to get in his pickup took old stirrups from a saddle and mounted them for steps.  He also kept the old tooth picks from hamburgers and used them then put them in a cup.  He gathered cotton and carried it on the dash of his pickup and when he need a Que-tip, he made one with the cotton and old tooth picks.  It did not cost him a dime.  The other one broke his foot and his foot swelled so much he wore the boot for three weeks without taking it off.  He never went to the doctor and it healed.  So following his example, one morning at 5:00 A. M. in the dark of winter I was trying to catch a first time momma to pull her baby.  She did not want into the crowd pen and led me on a wild run.  My toe caught on baling wire buried deep and I jerked it out of joint and tore it up pretty bad.  She changed her mind and I pulled the baby.  I went home and took off my tennis shoes and put on my boots.  It healed but is slightly crooked and overlaps the toe next to it, but doesn't hurt....

red

We received a copy of the Hereford World. It was very imformative. Had an excellant article on beef cow udders.
so many of the breed magazines are all ads & very little information. I love good articles that provided timely information & news.

Red