Breed Registration

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chuck Wagon

How do breeders with high volume registering heifers and keep organized? For example, if I purchase an embryo, how would the Shorthorn assoc know that I provided accurate info after calf was born?  Also, if I AI a cow and run cleanup bulls in the herd, how do I know I have entered the right Sire. 

There almost has to be some type of DNA testing and if so, how long does it typically take?

Charo

For Canadian Charolais (from the web site):
-Walking sires must have DNA on file
-All AI sires, including semen from on-farm collection must be parent verified (sire and dam)
-Embryo transfer calves must be parent verified
-Donor dams must have DNA on file

Rules for Random Parentage Verification by DNA Genotyping:
(a) The Board of Directors or their appointees shall from time to time require parentage verification by
DNA genotype testing of animals, for which application has been made for registration or
recordation where otherwise not required. In the event that the parentage is verified, the Association
shall be responsible for DNA genotyping costs. In the event that the parentage is not verified then all
costs incurred with the DNA genotype testing shall be at the expense of the applicant.

I don't know if it's the same thing for Shorthorn. Hope it's answers some of your questions.

Okotoks

The Canadian Shorthorn Association has pretty much the same rules for DNA as the Charolais example above.
All herd sires, walking and AI, must have DNA on file to register calves.
ET donors must have DNA on file and ET calves must be parentage verified.