breeding advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

hedgesjp1985

I am trying to get started raising show calves on just a small county fair level.    I have 2 red registered limousin, a grizzly heifer, and a shiver heifer.  I have one limi bred to walks alone and the other to dream on.  I am trying to decide on bulls for breeding all 4 this spring.    The limis are red so i would like to breed them for colored calves I was thinking of Carpe Diem and the shorthorn bulls Ace of Diamonds and Capiche.  The 2 heifers im thinking the angus bulls Changing Time, and SAV Final Answer.  Im open to opinions.

Goodroe Show Cattle

I would bred the grizzy to monoply or bodaouis! we have had great looking calves with these match up but u have to look to really pick the best choice <rock>

AAOK

I believe most people set their goals too low. Start with aiming to win State, and as you have two registered heifers, breed them Limi, and plan to attend your Jr National show. Dream BIG!

leanbeef

Well, hopefully you understand color genetics...I'm gonna assume you may not, so forgive me if this post is below your level of understanding. The two registered Limousin heifers don't carry a spot gene, so in order to get "color" out of them (assuming we're talking about white markings), you'll need to use a bull with dominant color markings...a white face or a true white gene like what causes roans in Shorthorn. I'd say you're on the right track with the two bulls you mentioned, but I'm not sure a bull like Capiche will transmit that roan or white gene consistently...I don't know, but I would be skeptical. I would think there's a good chance at getting a baldy out of Carpe Diem, but that's based on the fact that he looks like a Hereford, and I know he's not purebred Hereford, so I don't know if he throws some solid calves or not. I'm just saying all this because it's disappointing to think you're gonna get a calf that looks like the sire when sometimes that can be genetically improbable or even impossible... So understand what you have, what you want, and what it takes to make that using those females.

As for the other two, an Angus bull will offer you solid black color genetically, so you would be relying on the females to provide any color there, and again, it would have to be a dominant gene in order to show up--white face, roan, or dilution (smoke). You didn't mention what color those two heifers are, so I don't know what you're working with there.

In terms of type, I personally don't see Final Answer on the list of show calf sires, and I'm not familiar with the other Angus bull you mentioned. He may be a popular bull that just didn't register or isn't on my radar... Final Answer offers great calving ease as well as a lot of production advantages, but I don't see his place being to make show calves. I would think something like that would only work where you might have a real clubby female that looks more like a steer than a heifer. I think in general there might be some better options if you want to use an Angus bull.

blackdiamond

I would suggest using one or two really good bulls, instead of making ah odge podge of calves with one beign from each sire.

hedgesjp1985

I can understand what you're saying about final answer i have not seen any calves sired by him in the show ring.  The other bull changing time is a son of lutton who was reserve champ angus bull at the NWSS i think in 2011.  The grizzly heifer and shiver heifer are both black and i plan on breeding them for black  calves.  Im not commited to any bull im just looking for calving ease because they are heifers.  the grizzly heifer is out of a heatwave cow, and the shiver heifer is out of a maine shorthorn cross.  Right now im hoping for heifers to keep to improve and start my herd.  the limis as far a bull im hoping for color if anyone has any bull suggestions id be happy to hear them.  I know ace of diamonds has thrown some nice show quality calves.  Ive seen some capiche heifers this past summer that looked very nice, and i can get sexed semen on him.

mark tenenbaum

I would not breed any hiefer to either Carpe Diem or Ace of Diamonds- a bull like: The Ringer, Grizzly, Dirty Harry 2, Texahoma,Breathe Easy, Rumer Mill,or ZNTS bulls, would be safe on the black ones-with as good a calf as a risky BW deal. Now Ive seen some real good Limmi Shorthorn Crosses,just dont try to hit over the fence for the first calf,Capiche, alot of the Proud Jazz sons, ALM Chiller, GB Daybreak Express,Captain Obvious and sons-etc would all nick well on a Limmy-they have the rib,calving ease etc-the Limmies have the muscle and the BUTT-BUT:MY  TOP SHORTHORN PICK-ABERTESS ROCK N ROLL TRAIN-for alot of reasons-BWS number one-structural soundness and an awesome hip:and roan limmies are way cool looking-and on from there. O0

renegadelivestock

AAOK said:

I believe most people set their goals too low. Start with aiming to win State, and as you have two registered heifers, breed them Limi, and plan to attend your Jr National show. Dream BIG!

couldn't agree more! set your sights on the top, and with enough work you will be there, stay pure with the purebreds, ask some of the limi breeders that you know if they offer a junior incentive program, use breathe easy on the heifers and get them here alive,and easy for the heifers,then you can use what every you want, wulf warbonnet 6254w on the limi's

TexasHeat

Use CFLX Wild Card on the Limmy's. Throws a huge hip and plenty of pin width, will also sire some show steers. Semen at Grassroots Genetics.

Attachments

• CFLX Wild Card.jpg
    CFLX Wild Card.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 196

Boot Jack Bulls

If you decide to use Limi bulls on your Limi heifers, I would recommend looking at bulls out of programs like Magness, Thomas and Sons, and Etherton Farms. They have great Limi bulls that will give you a mainstream showring look that can compete and win, without sacrificing the the best characteristics of the breed.

kidsandkows

mark tenenbaum said:
I would not breed any hiefer to either Carpe Diem or Ace of Diamonds- a bull like: The Ringer, Grizzly, Dirty Harry 2, Texahoma,Breathe Easy, Rumer Mill,or ZNTS bulls, would be safe on the black ones-with as good a calf as a risky BW deal. Now Ive seen some real good Limmi Shorthorn Crosses,just dont try to hit over the fence for the first calf,Capiche, alot of the Proud Jazz sons, ALM Chiller, GB Daybreak Express,Captain Obvious and sons-etc would all nick well on a Limmy-they have the rib,calving ease etc-the Limmies have the muscle and the BUTT-BUT:MY  TOP SHORTHORN PICK-ABERTESS ROCK N ROLL TRAIN-for alot of reasons-BWS number one-structural soundness and an awesome hip:and roan limmies are way cool looking-and on from there. O0

So mark tenebaum have you used Rock n Roll Train? Do you think he would be safe on heifers? He is good looking I just didnt know what to think of his EPDs but I have read on here multiple times not to trust most of these breeds EPDs? What do you think, do you have any personal experience with him?

Thanks