breeding an aged heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

LFFASHOWER

i am goin to be breeding a heifer that is a june 2008 this april or around then does calving ease play as big of a role since she will be calving in at 2 1/2 years she is a salute x steermaker opinions are welcome on what to breed her to also

frostback

With that pedigree I would still play it safe and keep some calving ease in the bull. We have the odd fall born around here that we hold off breeding so she calves with the springs. We still use calving ease bulls even though she would have 6 months or so more growth to her.

LN

We calved out some 2 1/2 year olds a couple years ago when we were switching calving seasons and you definitely still need to go with a calving ease sire.

TMJ Show Cattle

Ace of Diamonds is not listed as calving ease,however he has been bred to over 100 head of heifers that I know of for sure and there hasn't been any problems. Most heifers can have a 80-85lb. calf without problems. There are exceptions. If you are stayin with the Shorthorn Influence then JPJ or Jazzman are good options. There are others that are used also.