breeding an all about you cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

hedgesjp1985

I just bought an all about you cow due in a few weeks to Dakota gold.  She is a very powerful cow but her last calf out of walks alone was a cripple.    I know she has had calves by Hannibal.  I am thinking about amen, Mab, war eagle, Springsteen, and who made who.  I want a colored steer.  Just looking for opinions on what works with all about you cows.  I was told that she is clean but I'm not positive.  I'm not sold on any of the bulls I mentioned those are just first thoughts.

ROMAX

Your cow probably has too much clubby in her already,maybe try a purebred charolais,or shorthorn,to get a decent calf and colour.

BroncoFan

I have seen quite a few Young Money calves. Some people we know leased him for a summer. We have not seen a crippled calf out of him yet. He'll throw plenty of color too.

hedgesjp1985

I like the thought of using unstoppable.  What kind of calves have people gotten out of general Lee he seems to be bred similar to unstoppable, they are both sired by monopoly out ofa high percentage Maine cow.  Also referring to the suggestion of a pb Shorthorn I've got some starburst in my tank, but the calves I've gotten have been too tall not bad calves just nothing great.  I've seen some great ones but what does starburst seem to click with.

Steer4Caddy

I'd breed her to a Beefmaster but I'm guessing that won't work for you.  Dakota gold should be good if she's a th carrier.  Other Thant that you'll run into structure issues with MAB and definitely with starburst.  I've used plenty of both and they won't work on that cow.  Unstoppables are good cattle and may get color with her pedigree.

STAL19

If she's a th carrier if use Crimson tide. Just flushed an all about you/Meyer cow that way. Her last 2 calves out of him have sold for 5k each. If she's th free id try monopoly or choppin wood

hedgesjp1985

This all about you cow mentioned above had another calf with crooked legs  She has been bed to Monopoly once and walks alone twice and now Dakota gold.  Out of all of these calves two have been cripples and two died at two days old.  I'm wondering what to breed her to.  It seems to me that anything with heat wave blood is not going to work.  I found out that she has been bred to apocalypse, dirty harry, and Hannibal I was told that the Hannibal calf was nothing special but the other two were decent calves.    Does anyone have any suggestions.  I was thinking Jesse James i80 daddy of em all starburst combustible momentum or optimus prime.  I'm trying for a steer but most of all a healthy calf.  Thanks in advance.

ROMAX

hedgesjp1985 said:
This all about you cow mentioned above had another calf with crooked legs  She has been bed to Monopoly once and walks alone twice and now Dakota gold.  Out of all of these calves two have been cripples and two died at two days old.  I'm wondering what to breed her to.  It seems to me that anything with heat wave blood is not going to work.  I found out that she has been bred to apocalypse, dirty harry, and Hannibal I was told that the Hannibal calf was nothing special but the other two were decent calves.    Does anyone have any suggestions.  I was thinking Jesse James i80 daddy of em all starburst combustible momentum or optimus prime.  I'm trying for a steer but most of all a healthy calf.  Thanks in advance.
I would say give up on the "clubby" thing with her!

OH Breeder

hedgesjp1985 said:

What is making you want to hold on to her? What the motivation to buy her? Did you know she had two cripples?
If you are bound on keeping her, stablize her genetics with a purebred bull. It sounds like to me you are getting the worse traits from clubby genetics so go purbred. I like unstoppable but he is half blood. I would go shorthorn, Simmi, maine. Shorthorn will give you color and if she is an all about you he was a full brother to Heat Seeker. You will get color because of the dam of All About You was a Shorthorn. I would test her so you know what direction to go. There is a chance of DS in that pedigree as well. so you would have to select carefully.

hedgesjp1985

To go back to last summer I knew she had one calf that died and that she had one cripple out of walks alone.  I paid 1500 for her bred to Dakota gold she weighs closer to a ton than 1500 pounds.    In my area I can get over a dollar a pound at market.    I've seen other cows have cripples out of walks alone so honestly I didn't blame the cow at that point.  Also I only have two other cows and one yearling heifer.  I started reposting last night to see what others would do because I've only been at this for three years.  I've thought of shipping her and probably will.   

OH Breeder

hedgesjp1985 said:
To go back to last summer I knew she had one calf that died and that she had one cripple out of walks alone.  I paid 1500 for her bred to Dakota gold she weighs closer to a ton than 1500 pounds.    In my area I can get over a dollar a pound at market.    I've seen other cows have cripples out of walks alone so honestly I didn't blame the cow at that point.  Also I only have two other cows and one yearling heifer.  I started reposting last night to see what others would do because I've only been at this for three years.  I've thought of shipping her and probably will. 

You can always try a purebred bull and see what you get. Its another year on pasture and feed. But if you think she might produce the quality you are looking for is she worth the investment. It doesn't sound like they have used any purebred bulls on her.