Breeding ideas for Maine/ Shorthorn Cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

oregondad

My son has a large framed Maine / Shorthorn cross cow that could use a little down sizeing. Breeding is Eskimo Joe/ Titliest, Pay Off. Nice cow, great markings-black with some chrome, won every AOB show she was in as a heifer. Has a WMW heifer calf by her side now, very nice calf as long as you don't look at the front legs. Looking for breeding ideas, would love to have some pattern on the calf like momma.

Thanks In Advance

oregondad

Thanks Shortdawg, I have concidered Jakes Proud Jazz. Would like to end up black and white, afraid he would give us red. Maybe something more maine or clubby.
Thanks Zach, We have some Sunseeker in the tank, he is definetly in the running. I think almost any bull would downsize her.

Any more ideas, all are welcome.

TJ

Jakes Proud Jazz is a pretty obvious.  If you want black, how about OCC Anchor?  Or the bull in my avatar?  If she's as big as you are saying, the calf would probably be a frame 5 something.   

OH Breeder

oregondad said:
My son has a large framed Maine / Shorthorn cross cow that could use a little down sizeing. Breeding is Eskimo Joe/ Titliest, Pay Off. Nice cow, great markings-black with some chrome, won every AOB show she was in as a heifer. Has a WMW heifer calf by her side now, very nice calf as long as you don't look at the front legs. Looking for breeding ideas, would love to have some pattern on the calf like momma.

Thanks In Advance

PHF I am assuming?
If you are looking fora club calf out of her with those genetics, some of the Trump line works great back on those genetics. You don't want a red one? All about you would also be an option but can make some really painted up. BUT he is THC. Is the cow sound? Usually when Who is used on sound cows they are okay with the wheels. I used 3C Macho this year on a WMW/ Cal. Blk. Impact cow. Great heifer. She is a baldy and really stylish. More and more folks are using simmi's in their club crossing. You couldl go alot of different ways, but if you know her PH status that would help as well.

Joe Boy

The 3/4 Maine bull Bouncer might work for you.  I used him on some real large Maine cows and like what I have.  I will wean them in June, but I like them.  I got a little more white on ones belly than I wanted, but she is very pretty and they were downsized but still very functionable cattle.

Joe Boy

I posted before I finished, sorry...

Ali, Hard Core, Icy Hot,

Do not use Sin City, as he makes them larger.  I like his calves and used him on half Maines and half Shorthorns, but they were larger than I wanted them to be but really nice calves.  Too much leg for me, unless they had been heifers.  Also, he made them go back to a shorthorn look.  I bred him to a white cow and sold her and the calf was white too and was really a great show calf, but the cow was half Maine (a very small Maine sire) and 1/4 Brangus and 1/4 Charlotte.

oregondad

Thanks everyone!

OH, yes we would like to stay black and white. As far as Th and PHA she hasn't been tested. Given her breeding I am assuming the worst as ++. Should have already had several tested, but will need to breed before it can happen this year. So we should stay clean on the buls for now.

oakbar

Easy Out has given us some real stylish, smaller, black calves out of moderate framed heifers.  I would certainly consider him again to cross on larger framed heifers.  He's TH free but I don't know about his PHA status.  He actually downsized our moderate heifers a little too much but like I said the calves were square made, good footed, and had a lot of eye appeal.  Certainly no worries about birth weight!!

Ruebush Shorthorns

Sounds like she should be Th clean.  If so I would go with Red Hot.  He is small and makes some awesome calves.  Should give you some color pattern too.  I have seen a lot of nice Red Hot calves.  I own one myself and she is awesome.

kanshow

Does anyone know what Mama's Boy is going to do with frame?    He would be high on my list.