Breeding Opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Jill - I guess I am confused (go figure with the upgrading chart - it is almost but not quite worse than the ACA :D The way I read the cahrt steers have to be sired by MA bulls but males and females can be registered if sired by a registered bull of another breed, ie purebred and fullblood female x another breed bull = 50%; 3/4 female --> 3/8 calf; 1/2 female --> 1/4 etc so they would all be "Maintainers" - is that what you are saying too?

Jill

That is correct, a heifer can be a 1/4 and out of a bull with no Maine and register as a Maintainer, but that only applies to heifers.  In other words my Heat Wave heifers are all registerable while my Heat Wave bulls are not.

DL

The way I read the chart is that steers can be registered down to 1/4 if sired by a Maine bull - but steers not sired by a Maine cannot be registered. Calves sired by a commercial bull out of  a registered cow can be registered only if they are females but calves sired by a registered bull of another breed (if you or someone else has paid to have the bulls pedigree added) can be registered - if they are females or males but not steers - it was simplier before they added all this other stuff - lets face it a quarter Maine is not a Maine it is a crossbred, papered or not! If it was a dog we would call it a mutt

Have you made any decisions? Did they tell you what was wrong with the heifer? What a dirty shame

ps I know you said she was Maine and Shorthorn - what specific lines?

AAOK

dragon lady said:
Jill - I guess I am confused (go figure with the upgrading chart - it is almost but not quite worse than the ACA :D The way I read the cahrt steers have to be sired by MA bulls but males and females can be registered if sired by a registered bull of another breed, ie purebred and fullblood female x another breed bull = 50%; 3/4 female --> 3/8 calf; 1/2 female --> 1/4 etc so they would all be "Maintainers" - is that what you are saying too?

I went back to through several of my last few years Voices to refresh my memory of all the Maintainer percentages.  DL, the above is correct.  You can thank the OMAA(Oklahoma) for the steer ruling.  We had AMAA the board stacked pretty well at that time, and ourSteer nomination rule for the OKC Oklahoma Youth Expo read that a Maine-Anjou Steer must be sired by a registered MA Bull.  No papers are necessary, and the rule made sense, to the same reasoning as the AMAA promotion aspect.

The 7/8 Registered bulls are indeed considered Purebred, and mated to a registered 1/2 blood cow, will produce a high % 3/4 offspring. Jill,  With this confirmed, I'll stick with FR Magic as my #1 pick.  Color patern was a factor in my original suggestion as FR Magic will often produce some white.

I have a very few straws of FR Magic.  I'm sure Ferris Ranch still has a supply.  Jane's Son-in-law, Tommy Johnson is in charge these days. With your family history in the AJMAA, I'm sure they would sell some if you can't find it.

Jill

We aren't really sure what is wrong with her, we first noticed scrapes on the front of her pasterns and started watching her you could see every once in a while her back hoofs would just sort of pop over to the front, the vet treated her with a couple of things and by the end of the week it seemed to be worse, it would pop over and was almost like she had to take a moment to think about how to get her feet straightened back out to the front.  We took her to K-State and they did a luekemia test and that was neg. did a spinal xray and it looked fine, they had her in the tank floating her for several days but it was more work for her to get in and out of the tank than they thought she was getting benefit from it.  They sent her home and feel that it was somehow an injury from being jump the last time she was in heat and it is a nuerological thing but just can't pinpoint it.  She at this point every once in a while will kind of go down in her back side and she is now holding her right leg with little or no pressure on it.  He put us on a little different protocol, the cider goes in today and we flush on the 16th.  I haven't made a decision yet on what to use, I think I'll get ahold of Don and find out what he thinks the chances for a good outcome are, I am sure she is under a huge amount of stress and I hate to waste really expense semen if he doesn't think she will stimulate well.  Thanks you so much for all your suggestions.

knabe

from telos
I'm still going to endorse K&A Nautica because a like the reports on him. I also like his pedigree and the the fact he is homozygous for black, polled and solid.

i noticed in the world class maine anjou sale there is a lot 19D for a flush out of the mother of nautica and kasanova. 

http://maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=220849

lots of carriers in her pedigree, but she's PHA TH free!

CAB

Iwas looking @ a SEK spring semen directory today and they do have FR Majic available @ I think $100.00. I would use that bull if you are looking for females as apposed to Nautica because there are more predictable results. Nautica is too new for what you are using this flush for IMO. Cab

knabe

. I would use that bull if you are looking for females as apposed to Nautica because there are more predictable results. Nautica is too new for what you are using this flush for IMO. Cab

true CAB.  is magic homozygous for pattern?  i know smithbuilt was not as he could throw some socks.

DL

knabe said:
. I would use that bull if you are looking for females as apposed to Nautica because there are more predictable results. Nautica is too new for what you are using this flush for IMO. Cab

true CAB.  is magic homozygous for pattern?  i know smithbuilt was not as he could throw some socks.

Magic often throws sox - but you can ID them in the dark so that is a good thing! If I am correct Smithbilt has sox as well - I think I have a picture of him  - Ill have to check

Show Heifer

Knabe: I flushed an angus cow to two different bulls due to the lack of timing.  They AI'd each horn to the different bull, then when they flushed her, they used two different sets of filters. He said the accuracy was about 95%. I used different breeds of bulls, so if there is any question it shouldn't be a problem to figure out....plus it only cost $50 bucks more. It was successful and have babies coming this spring. 

Thanks for letting me know about limited edition xxcc. I saw nice calves but ya just never know!!! Appreciate the info!!!

Jill: has anyone considered a manigal(SP) worm carried by whitetailed deer? That does similar things in lamas....and eventually leads to death. :'(

shorthorns r us

Show Heifer said:
Knabe: I flushed an angus cow to two different bulls due to the lack of timing.  They AI'd each horn to the different bull, then when they flushed her, they used two different sets of filters. He said the accuracy was about 95%. I used different breeds of bulls, so if there is any question it shouldn't be a problem to figure out....plus it only cost $50 bucks more. It was successful and have babies coming this spring. 

Thanks for letting me know about limited edition xxcc. I saw nice calves but ya just never know!!! Appreciate the info!!!

Jill: has anyone considered a manigal(SP) worm carried by whitetailed deer? That does similar things in lamas....and eventually leads to death. :'(

did terry do taht flush

TJTH8998

Jill said:
We have a cow that was set to go into our donor battery that has something neuro on her back side and we are trying to get a flush out of her before she goes totally down, (we had her at K-State and the drugs she was on we have a 38 day withdraw period). We have not had her tested yet so the bull needs to be clean, she is out of a clean Black Dice donor, but is sired by Vegas so she could be TH.   Her calf this year was out of the clean up bull, should have been a steer, she is a box, but a little straight legged.  The cow is blue roan 1/2 Maine and 1/2 Shorthorn so she has a load of breeding options. 
If you only had a 1 shot chance, what would you breed her to, any suggestions welcome?
You could use my bull if i knew u were in ohio

Jill

I have never heard of the worm, but we do have a lot of deer in this area so I guess that would be possible.

Just to give everyone an update, we decided to go with Money Man, talked to Dr. Coover and he said since she has some infection in her hoof she may not be a great canidate so we decided to go the cheaper route.

This Vegas X Black Dice flush was very successful for us besides this cow in question we also kept embryo interest in 3 other flush mates, they are all built a little differently, but we may go back and try some of your suggestions on those, they would have a much better chance of having a successful flush on the higher dollar semen.  Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know how this flush turns out, hoping for the best.

Latest posts