Breeding question/problem Please Help

Help Support Steer Planet:

kattleluver

I have 4 heifers that I shot with lute and bred in August.  I'm getting them preg tested soon but I want to know what you all think.  I've had a small amount of blood seen (on the back of the tail/vulva) on 2 of the 4 about a month ago, just a few days apart.  We've not seen any heat signs but I'm a little worried maybe the miscarried??  Do any of you have experience with this issue?? I haven't seen this happen before in my herd... One is my best heifer and I might be a little depressed if there's not a baby in there anymore cause she was in REALLY good heat when we bred!  Thanks in advance!

twistedhshowstock

I wouldnt be super concerned at this point if you havent seen them in heat...if you shot with lute in August and you are just now seeing blood I would seriouslydoubt the lute had anything to do with it.  Its always possible that they aborted, but if you are just seeing it 4 months later you should have noticed more than just a little blood if she aborted in my opinion.  The fetus wouldnt have been huge at this point but she would have had a decent placenta goin at this point.

all.thumbs

You can even see them stand when they are bred.  We made the mistake of setting up a cow we thought was open because we had seen her standing.  Long story short, we aborted her calf.  The rule here is preg check before we set them up for breeding even if we have seen them stand.
A neighbor was sure one of his cows had calved & lost her calf - he set her up for a recipient.  Put in CIDR, gave GnRH, & lut.  Come implant day vet found cow was  preg.  Sure enough, she had a calf.  Hard to believe for sure.

kattleluver

Thank you for your experience I'm really hoping they are still prego. 4 months along palpating shouldn't be to challenging to decide for sure. Anybody have any other experience with babies being ok still???????? Or cows standing but being pregnant????