Breeding Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Should I breed a red Chi heifer to a shorthorn bull?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No - keep it Clubby

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Try something else

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Yes, but not her first calf

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Silent Steve

Hey everyone and happy holidays.
I have a red chimaine heifer and I was wondering if I should maybe venture into breeding her to a calving ease shorty bull or her next time around to a  shorthorn bull and try out the Shorthorn plus deal with the calf? she is still a few months away from being bred but id like to think it over. Thanks everyone..
Steve

p.s only video i have. recent pics later on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFeZi63Jtjw

*credit to ynotcattle for the video*

herefordfootball

I dont see why not. (no pun intended) lol Just as long as its a proven calving ease bull. If she isnt a TH or PHA carrier or the shorthorn bull isnt, I see no problems. I think jpj might work pretty good on her in fact.

GM

I agree, why not!  She's a great heifer and could produce some very competitive shorthorn plus offspring.  At first glance she reminded me of the color of some of the shorthorns back in the early 90's.  There was a shorthorn bull named Sunset Strip who was a by Enticer and out of the dam of Rodeo Drive who I saw win in Reno and he was the same color (maybe lighter even).  I know this is obvious, but you go shorthorn, be sure and use a proven calving ease shorthorn.

ploughshare

Do yourself and your heifer a favor, use a proven calving ease bull.  She will pay you back with a lifetime of reproductive efficiency as long as you don't get her too fat!

furinsilex

for some reason she just screams Irish Whiskey genetics at me i have no clue why though..... but hey shorthorn may work..... but whatever it is calving ease

BCCC

furinsilex said:
for some reason she just screams Irish Whiskey genetics at me i have no clue why though..... but hey shorthorn may work..... but whatever it is calving ease
If you through with the whiskey genetics there is a IW son called Show Stopper, that is calving ease and I have seen some nice calves out of him.

furinsilex

BCCC said:
furinsilex said:
If you through with the whiskey genetics there is a IW son called Show Stopper, that is calving ease and I have seen some nice calves out of him.

where can i find pictures of show stopper? think he is a harietta son???? not sure

CAB

With her extension up front, she looks like the perfect JPJ mating. That being said, a couple of SH bulls that are new and unproven that I am going to watch are HD Swagger & Free 4 all. They have calving ease numbers but are new. The Swagger bull is Schrags,(Sp), new bull.

Jill

Have to disagree with CAB on this one, I love my JPJ calves, but she appears to be on the smaller clubby side and he need to be used on something with some frame.  I guess I don't care if you go Shorthorn, but she needs a bull that will add frame and some soggy in the middle, I guess if she were mine, I would go Angus or Red Angus (she has plenty of power) before I would look at Shorthorn.  I do agree on the IW lines, but I would wait for the 2nd calf for that.

mark tenenbaum

Panama Red7/8 at DMCC-is a priven calving ease deal. There is a video of one of his hiefers on the site-or breeders world. He is haf maine (full sib to LTD Edition) and out of a Cumberland Shorthorn who goes back to Rose T-90 and SBF Picture Perfect-TP. He is a normal sized (2300 lb ) red bull. O0

BadgerFan

She's nice, but I'd use an Angus bull (black or red, your call) to add some rib.  Pick a proven CE bull and be on the safe side.  Pick one with sexed heifer semen and you have the next generation.

mark tenenbaum

CAB said:
With her extension up front, she looks like the perfect JPJ mating. That being said, a couple of SH bulls that are new and unproven that I am going to watch are HD Swagger & Free 4 all. They have calving ease numbers but are new. The Swagger bull is Schrags,(Sp), new bull.Swagger would not be one to breed to a hiefer-Im using Free For All-but same deal. There are A TON of bonified proven CE clubby shorts that are still avail-Perfect Image,Wymore,ArSuluOsage,Doolings ArSuLu Bull,Words Casper,Proud Jazz and sons,Panama Red-yah I raised him-video of his first daughter on Diamond m sale O0 <beer>