BREEDING QUESTION

Help Support Steer Planet:

Kris

What do you think is a good option to breed a heat seeker X maine heifer?
she's average-large framed, super correct (maybe a little set on her back legs) THICK, DEEP, maybe a little coarse shouldered but nothing too extreme, super extended in the front end, and long. I'm not necesarily looking for a mainetainer or maine bull, but just want calving ease and i don't want the first calf to be a throw away. What's my best bet?

Thanks in advance,
Kris.

DTW

My choice would be a proven calving ease angus bull.  And i mean proven not a new one that supposedly had a small birth weight and has a low epd.  Alot of those change after the first calf crop.

You may get along great with witch dr but i would bet money you will have to pull it out of that cross.  In my opinion for what it is worth to many heifers get ruined trying to get a saleable calf the first year.  Using the right angus bull the calves sell good at the sale barn and if on the right first calf heifers they daughters will make very good cows as well. 

I have heard of more than a few bad experiences this calving season on purchased bred heifers that were bred to a clubby calving ease bull.  Granted tougher winter and calves are bigger but i cant predict the future of the weather. 

DL

I had 4 calves in one day - 2 Witch Doctors and 2 BC Hobo 1961 (RA with high accuracy CE and low BW) - all were born unassisted, the WDs were 86 lbs out of a MA cow and 85 lbs out of a MA heifer- the Hobos were 79 and 65 lbs out of heifers - the biggest difference between the 2 sires was the get up and go piss and vinegar that the Hobos have - these calves know exactly what to do and teach the heifer. I like my Maine cows and I like my Witch Doctor cows but when it comes to no fuss easy calving very marketable calves these RA babies are something -

with the combo of genetics in your heifer I would be cautious about using anything but a high accuracy CE low BW bull - my preference is Red Angus