Breeding Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

mainegirl

We preg checked our spring calvers after 60 days and decided to breed the ones that were open for fall calvers. Well, we set them up with CIDRs and when the AI tech went to breed 2 of them, she found that they were actually pregnant! So my concern is since they were given Lutalyse, what are the chances that they won't abort their calves?

kfacres

it's variable from our experiences..  I've not had good luck aborting with Lut, without giving a dex shot with it.  We had a heifer a couple years ago that never showed any heat..  we started her on lut, still no heat, gave another lut, still no heat.. thought she was bad, (since she was purchased) took her to vet. preg...  she calved at 18 months after having 2 lut shots. 

I bought 4 heifers last fall that were run with a sterile bull all summer, were preg checked open in Oct.. then in Nov they were preg checked 4-5 months.. I paid .60 cents for them...  not bad of a deal considering those 4 no good heifers calved within 5 days of each other and gave me 5 calves. 

Cowboy

To help clarify the actions of Prostoglandins on pregnancies, here is what I have found in these situations.

A cow does indeed have many different hormones through out the repro process, depending on when in the cycle you are working with. A pregnancy depends on primarily Progesterone to maintain the pregnancy, and for the first several months -- the level of hormone is derived primarily from the Corpus Luteum on the ovary -- some will call this a Yellow Body -- that is kind of old school.

The uterus will release it's own natural levels of Prostoglandin (What is in the Lut and Estrumate products) at certain times -- they all fit together like  a puzzle.

If a high level of Prostoglandin is given to the pregnant cow during the time that she ONLY depends on her CL for maintaining the pregnancy, she WILL abort with a very  high degree of accuracy -- HOWEVER, if the drug is given AFTER she is -- say 4 months along -- the placenta membranes are now giving off HUGE amounts of Progesterone -- and in a nut shel, no single shot of Lut will make her abort. It will take an additional steroid to get that done -- and as the above said, Dex will usually be that choice.

I do NOT advocate aborting any pregnancy past 75 days, too many things to talk about there.  Short breds at or under 45 days are no problem usually, a couple of heats later and all is well.

Mainegirl -- your cows were most likely simply misdiagnosed earlier, and called open due to a smaller pregnancy. When you came back in the fall thinking they were open, and synced them as you said, the single dose of Lut would not get it done if they were past 4 months, basicly you got lucky!!

I certainly hope this little bit of cowboy talk will help you and others. I try to be pretty layman --

Best of luck to all -- Terry

CAB

This type of scenario time after time is what I hate about preg cking cows. I've seen pregnancies missed almost every time. Even with ultra sound machines if done @ the wrong stages. JMO

tama

Cab I am with you! seems even when ultrra sounded I will get a miss.Is this a good time to bring up blood sample for preg check? I am just curious on accuracy (varibles like how far along come to mind) I have not used the sample method   

mainegirl

Thank you all for the help. The tech preg checked them so she was suprised she misdiagnosed 2 since she has never misdiagnosed one before. We were so excited that they were bred and I just wanted to be reassured that the Lutalyse wouldn't hurt the pregnancies. So thank you for easing my mind. One is a Peer Pressure calf that I am so looking forward to seeing! :)

DFSC

tama said:
Cab I am with you! seems even when ultrra sounded I will get a miss.Is this a good time to bring up blood sample for preg check? I am just curious on accuracy (varibles like how far along come to mind) I have not used the sample method   

Use draw blood on all our cattle to preg. check. It costs around 3 dollars a check + shipping. Every one that we have had checked has been correct. I would highly recommend it!

Jordan

mainegirl

We palpated them today to make sure they didn't abort...wishful thinking. Guess I'll just try again next time.  :(