Breeding Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Limflex

Have a Alias x Char cross heifer thats pretty straight on both ends. Just calved to Rocky Balboa ,75 lbs. no problems calving,she milks great ,but the calf is
also pretty straight on both ends.  My question is what bull could be used to help out with the legs?  Used RB before on some straight cows and he  helped the problem a great deal. Any thought on some other bulls with some set to their legs that would work on a second calver that could be used? Thanks for your input.

wyatt

monopoly maybe could try limestone trifecta... pics?? those might help good luck

OH Breeder

usually when one is straight on BOTH ends you are looking at almost impossible. If they are straight on one or the other you can sometimes breed around it. But in this case, when you get one straight in the front and straight in the back you can have some disasters. It may be more economical to sell the female than to roll the dice each year and try to get a calf that is going to be structurally sound. That is part of the problem with some of the clubby bred bulls is the exhibit straightness and the resulting calves when used on straight females is a mess. JMO

Limflex

Thanks for the comments guys, I think I've been telling myself I could" fix"the problem,but knew all along it was going to be a tough project. The heifer is the best
milking heifer I have ever had and is super quiet and an easy keeper.  Just didn't want to give up tooquick on her without doing all I could.  Just wondering
if there was a bull out there that could help put a little extra set on the back wheels. Thanks again for the input.

DL

Limflex said:
Have a Alias x Char cross heifer thats pretty straight on both ends. Just calved to Rocky Balboa ,75 lbs. no problems calving,she milks great ,but the calf is
also pretty straight on both ends.  My question is what bull could be used to help out with the legs?  Used RB before on some straight cows and he  helped the problem a great deal. Any thought on some other bulls with some set to their legs that would work on a second calver that could be used? Thanks for your input.

Just a thought but it may be that she is super quiet because she is uncomfortable or in some discomfort from her structural issues - if you really want to keep her you might consider using a "real world" bull vs a clubby bull- good luck with your decision

lightnin4

If she's a good milker & quiet why not put an embryo in her?  Then she couldn't pass on her structural problems but still raise a good calf.

KSanburg

What about Northern Improvement or DCC Outer Limits. I don't have much experiance with clubbies but I think going back to some good solid foundation genetics could help a lot and if it doesn't work to your expectations you might end up with some nice freezer beef.

sizzler14

I agree if she can milk then make her a recip. recips are getting more and more expensive and she isn;t worth a lot at the sale barn. recips are running 1500-2000 a piece and you may get 1000 for her if you are lucky at the sale barn. make her a recip of sell her calves for freezer beef

Limflex

Like the recip idea ,hadn't even thought about that! Thanks

HAB

Limflex said:

Bob Gassman in SD bred his Alias X Char heifers to a black Galloway bull.  He really likes the calves, plenty of clubby style, and very sound.