Breeding Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

steer711

Ok, I GNRHed some heifers Friday night with the intent to then lut them 7 days later and breed them, but I have a few that came into heat, my question is will they stick to the A.I if i breed them now right after the GNRH? to my understanding the GNRH drops the eggs and cleans them out, so will there be a egg to fertalize? thanks O0

FriedgesCharolais

The protocol you are following involves using putting a cidr in with the shot of GnRH and pulling it after 7 days and giving them a shot of PG.

steer711

yea we put cidrs in half of them, we decided to do a experiment with it, out vet said that the conception rates should be a little less with the ones without cidrs but should still get decent results, im breeding on standing heat too, not time
Do you think its safe to breed now or wait?

BTDT

Actually in virgin heifers, you are not to give GnRH at cidr insertion.  You give GnRH to cows.
Trying different things is fine, but just thought I would point out the "proper and proven" protocol.

Breeding on standing heat should help your results.

Good Luck.

CAB

The 14 day heifer cidr protocol does not call for any shots in conjunction with putting in or the removal of the cidr.

BTDT

Nor does the 7 day Cidr protocol for heifers. Not much time, more explanation later.

Quigly

It is common to have a small percentage come into heat a day or two before the prostaglandin(Lut) is given, and those you can breed on that heat and then not give Lutalyse. Yours are coming in faster than that, it sounds like. If they came in Saturday, it may be they were ready to cycle so went ahead and did it and the GnRH had no effect on them. It's to late now to breed them anyway, so it may be best to just finish the protocol.

GnRH has been shown to be more inconsistent in heifers then cows, which is one reason it is not used as commonly in heifer protocols.