Breeding question

Help Support Steer Planet:

paj315

Ok this may be a dumb question but here goes. We have 2 heifers we bred in mid April no signs of heat in either one and the last one we bred was supposed to come in for the second time yesterday. Before we bred her she was like clockwork , every 19 days for over a 3 month period . The other was running a few days longer per cycle but still cycling . My question is how long until they would be considered "safe" bred? At what point would I not have to worry about if they stuck barring one slipping a calf? Or is there even such a thing as being completely out of the woods ? I could have them sleeved but there isn't a good cattle vet around close and with just having the 2 it's hard to justify the cost of a farm call. What do you guys think ?

CAB

It's too early to arm them with much accuracy. If you have a good ultrasound tech close that may be your best bet, but I'd wait on that one also. Just keep watching I think is the best bet for right now.

BLSC

Well, it's way to early to know that they are "safe". Last year, we had 3 cows that we didn't see in heat for 3 cycles. We had out the vet, and he said they were open. That they weren't cycling and they weren't cystic. Sometimes cows don't cycle. Best bet is have them checked. It can be expensive in your case, but it gives you peace of mind or lets you know where you stand.

BTDT

In general, once the female holds a pregnancy past 45 days, she will not slip it "for no reason", excluding trauma, disease, etc.
That being said, some females will not cycle immediately after slipping a calf, nor does signs of heat mean she is not bred. Some cows will cycle and show signs of heat on the opposite side even if bred.
In your situation, the blood test after day 60 might offer you peace of mind.  Or, wait until about 90 days, and haul them to a vet or ultrasound tech to have them checked. 

KSanburg

Did you sync them with a GnRH + Lut protocol? A few times I have experienced where they display heat, they are then AIed 12 hours later and then no heat for 2 cycles then display standing heat again on what would have be their 3rd cycle. This is uncommon, but I have heard of other folks having the same issue. I am not sure why the drugs would be causing this, but we have been using Cystorelin and Lutalyse. If anyone can explain I would appreciate it.

So you might want to watch a 3rd heat if you can.

paj315

We didn't give them anything. Just knew what their cycle was and had been keeping track since the first of the year so we knew when to watch for them to come in. We bred 12 hours after the first sign of activity on both heifers. As far as body condition the older heifer would be a 6 the the younger heifer is one we are showing so she has a little more condition to her but not fat by any means