Breeding question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattledog

I just received news that my best cow was bred safe to the bull of my choice.  I also received new that she is pooling urine and the vet wanted us to be aware of this. ???  What exactly does this entail?  I heard second hand and am concerned.  This is a cow that has paid for herself 3x over! 

Cowboy

No need for extreme anxiety levels here -- this is not at all uncommon, especially in flat pelvic type cows. Dairy breeds will pool urine routinely due to the loose loins they normally have.

Most cows who do this will be pretty flat topped, meybe slighly high in the pins instead of slopeing off some.

There are concerns however, a cow or two every so often will tend to get a pretty severe vaginitis -- vaginal infection - from the extra fluids. They usually just drain when ever they lay down, and will only pool urine or other fluids when up walking. If they get a bad enough infection, early in gestation, it has been seen to cause an infection inthe cervix as well, and then the possibility arises of an abortion. This is very uncommon, but does happen.

I would guess that she did not just suddenly start to pool urine this month -- she has been doing it in previous years as well, it just doesn't suddenly happen.

Describe your cows phenoype and I would be surprised if she was a slopy butted cow, but more likely level or even slightly loose in the loin. Again, not at all uncommon -- no need to go on Paxil just yet.

Take care and good luck

Terry

Cattledog

Thanks a million Cowboy!  You just explained the exact phenotype of my cow.  Well at least I can rest a little more easily now.  I always worry about my cows when there is nothing wrong and when I find out that there may be an issue the paranoia sets in!  I am new to this board but whenever I ask a question I always get a quick and intelligent response.  I think that says a lot about the community on this forum! (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)