Breeding question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Lazy G

Hey, does anyone have any suggestions of what bull I could breed these cows too? I'm looking for some nice steers, or some replacement heifers out of them. The cow with a white spot on her head was sired by our old herd bull (a red angus) , and her mother was a simminetal/tarentaise/angus cross. The other cow has three generations of red angus, and some simmental in her too.

Attachments

• POLLY.jpg
    POLLY.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 600
  • Blonde.jpg
    Blonde.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 593

dori36

Lazy G said:
Hey, does anyone have any suggestions of what bull I could breed these cows too? I'm looking for some nice steers, or some replacement heifers out of them. The cow with a white spot on her head was sired by our old herd bull (a red angus) , and her mother was a simminetal/tarentaise/angus cross. The other cow has three generations of red angus, and some simmental in her too.

Nancy,  am I crazy or why would't you breed then to "Mr. Thick", Bluey?

ROMAX

WHO MADE WHO tried and tested and will make them black,these cows aren't clubbies so there shouldn't be any structure problems.

shortyjock89

I know we've talked about Heat Seeker a lot on here lately...and I've seen more than a couple of good calves out of HS and cows like that.  If they're sound and aren't completely chunky fronted, you could get some real nice calves.

LazyGLowlines

Looks like we have 'another' Lazy G out there.  Since we're talking 'red' let me throw in my 2-cents and say our bull Bluey is a good choice too.  Lots of muscle, nice clean fronts (plus red calves).  Someone bred red angus cattle to Bluey and doubled their value within 30 days after AI'ing.  Not a bad return if you ask me.  We recently had a lowline breeder here that was very impressed with the Bluey calves.  Just a thought.... 

Stihlpro

I love my Paddy O'Malley Steers.  Not so hot on the heifers.  Have had some good Dr. Who females though.

dori36

LazyGLowlines said:
Looks like we have 'another' Lazy G out there.  Since we're talking 'red' let me throw in my 2-cents and say our bull Bluey is a good choice too.  Lots of muscle, nice clean fronts (plus red calves).  Someone bred red angus cattle to Bluey and doubled their value within 30 days after AI'ing.  Not a bad return if you ask me.   We recently had a lowline breeder here that was very impressed with the Bluey calves.  Just a thought.... 

Sheesh, Nancy, who knew?  I thought you were maintaining a separate herd to try to raise clubbies!  Sorry for the confusion!  But I agree, Bluey would be an excellent choice for these cows.  I guess I'd like to know more about the goals of their owner.  Steers - ok, as in club steers or something to market as feeders?  Replacement heifers - with what marketing goal in mind?

Lazy G

My goal is to have some clubies, or on the flip side, have some good replacement cows that will make good cluby mothers.

LazyGLowlines

Wish we had enough property to run clubbys too.  I'm very impressed with the animals represented on this forum.  There are several 1/2 blood Bluey heifers selling in KC in a few weeks, from shorthorn, red angus & clubby heifers.  They're very impressive and we're curious what they'll bring We think the Bluey bull calves are hard to beat, though...very masculine, lots of muscle.  Effertz was here last weekend and he was impressed with our calf crop.  I know lowlines aren't for everyone...in today's economy & cost of feed it's nice to have a mid-size cow/steer that won't eat you out of house & home.  (sorry for going off topic!)

vet tech

I wouldnt agree with Paddy here. I am not a big fan of him . Every calf I see has structural problems and can't walk. I like Psddy heifers way more than his steers. Just my opinion. I would breed them to monopoly

DL

Nice cows - I sure like Polly - I am partial to red

I personally would steer clear of the crippled clubby bulls if you have any desire to have females that can walk or have a pelvic area sufficient to have a calf -

I would breed Polly and some of her friends to Red Fine Line Mulberry 26P - check him out on the Brylor web page www.brylor.com. Some of the finest females I have ever seen were sired by Mulberry. I am also partial to Master Plan (both Mulberry and Master Plan are RA)

Another maker of fabulous females is the (immortal) Gizmo - if you are interested in adding Shorthorn blood from a functional bull from a great program

I can't see why you would want to take these beautiful red critters and make them black - JMO  ;)

Joe Boy

Love your cows.
Would love to have grass like that...

No suggestions on what to breed your cattle to.  I wish you could use my bull, Senior Roho.  He is a Lifeline from a Jazz-Fullblood Maine.  One of the Texas Tech senior judging team saw him beside the highway and stopped to look at him.  I started breeding him the day he turned one and will have my first calf from him in the next two weeks.  Some love him but hate his white spots.  They would prefer him to be solid red.  He is thick, has hair, correct, square, and has the sweetest disposition.  I think he would be "soggy" if we fattened him up. 

All my cows are black but I love the red guy very much.