Breeding Question?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bulldogg

Have any of you faced this problem? I breed one of our show heifers on April 7th. She had a good standing heat. She passed over on the 28th. Zero signs of heat before and after the 28th! This morning when I went to put her in the barn I noticed that she had a discharge and was trying to ride other cows. She should not come back in until around the 19th. Any thoughts???

Show Heifer

Frustrating for sure!!!
I would guess early embryonic death.....she was bred.. then for whatever reason, lost it and is now just coming back into heat.....keep an eye on her and breed her again.
Good luck! :)

red

Hate when that happens! At least it wasn't too far out. I'd say that she might just be riding to ride but if she's discharging then that's a pretty good sign of a heat. If she doesn't take this time you might want someone to check to make sure there is no cysts.

Good luck!

Red

Bulldogg

I stopped at the house at lunch. When I checked on the heifer she was acting normal again. I did not see any discharge, she was laying down chewing her cud. She is in a lot with three other heifers and none of them were paying any attention to her. What if I never see her standing? Should I breed her? When should I breed her??? Thanks!!

red

I have some cows that seem to ride each other all the time. My best thought is that if you have someone that can palapate to confirm a pregnacy at 30 days out I'd do that. Without seeing her in an actual standing heat I'd be hesitant to bred her.
Any other thoughts?

Red

shortyjock89

The only thing that I can really think of is to wait till she would cycle again and see what she does.  If she comes in, you go ahead and breed her.  If she doesn't I would palpate her to see what's goin on with her estrous cycle and check for cysts of course.  Then after you do that, if she is not cystic but not in estrous, I would hit her with some Lutalayse as soon as you could(depending on where she is in her cycle) to get her bred ASAP.