Breeding suggestion.

Help Support Steer Planet:

BroncoFan

It's getting the time of year when cows are calving or almost done and time to start thinking about AI-ing so I'll be the first; I have this cow that is a Slick 50XHooDoo. She's 37.5% Maine and 25% Charolais. THF and PHAF. Her calves no matter who I've bred her to all have enough foot size and bone but they just go up and take longer to fill out. Most of the time after our fall sale to get the rib shape and widen out. I need to use a bull that will moderate. I've thought of using Campbell's Fast Freddie, Two Tone, BIM, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated. Shorthorn, Maine, Simmental, Charolais, Chi, etc. Clubby too. She's calved 100+ bws with no problems and milks well. She's had 5 calves with only one being a bull/steer calf. Tried using her as a recip but the embryo didn't take. I don't think it was her fault because none of the embryos we had put in from the flush took.

mark tenenbaum

Here's a new Shorthorn I found on Wisconsin Craigslist  who is: 1-The right color 2: Has All performance cattle back there from Canada-Saskvalley Pioneer-X Jungels Proud Jazz dam  He was 84 pounds, weaned @ near 760 I think-Yearling Wt 1290-And has excellant EPDS from cattle where that means something 3- Hes clean including DS Just a huge middled big butted curve bender with calving ease Hes on Euclaire Wisconsin Craigs List go to" Farm And Garden"-Then: search SHORTHORN  O0    https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/grd/5446788886.html

Attachments

• 01313_aXDJFrTSvJp_600x450.jpg
    01313_aXDJFrTSvJp_600x450.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 370
  • 00000_7r0VCFGiAiX_600x450.jpg
    00000_7r0VCFGiAiX_600x450.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 411

BroncoFan

I showed my wife the picture and she said, "who is that chubby little turd!" So are they selling semen on this bull?

Auburnviewfarms

Saw him on Facebook he will be at shorthorn jr nationals in St. Paul MN picking up our semen on him then plan to breed 2-3 to him. I believe $35 a straw no certificate bull

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 307

BroncoFan

Any calves out of him yet and what is our will be his mature frame score?

shortybreeder

I'm heading down to Eau Claire to pick up some units in the next month, and I'll let you guys know what I think in person. BroncoFan-he was just born last March. I haven't seen any frame info yet, but I'm excited to try him.

mark tenenbaum

I dont think a Pioneer son out of what is basically Kieth Lauer breeding -with those kind of stats is going to be "little"-by any stretch. How many yearlings you got of any breed that hit almost 1300?Especially non-Angus. He is however-chubby-me and my buddies in West Va and Kansas are gonna figure something to do with him as well. O0

shortybreeder

Saw HP Manimal  (the white bull above) today, nice looking bull with a great disposition. Seems like he might be more moderate framed, his dam was small-moderate framed with nice pinky-sized teats at something like 6 or 7 years old? Udder was in good shape for being early lactation, and she's doing a good job with the current calf so far. My only complaint is she was a bit long in the toes. But as far as the bull is concerned, he had nice smoth shoulders, plenty of rump, and a nice wide thick top. They recently shaved his winter hair off, so I was happy to see he actually resembles his pictures. OK bone, but was very sound and hit his stride every time even though he was pretty fat. Both he and his dam seemed like the easy-fleshing and easy-keeping kind, and we're all familiar with Bonanza. Overall I liked the look of him for being a yearling, and I'm excited to try him on a couple this year. They are trying him on heifers, but with any new bull I'm going to wait until he's proven to try him on my own.

Hope this helps!

Lewis_Family_Cattle

For clubbies= MAB and Fu man chu are softening up cows up while still adding power.

For shorties= JP Jazz and our bull Sultan will moderate, add depth, rib, and keep look. Or starburst-stouter but some of ours have been a little tighter made if not used on something chunky.

Here's a young sultan steer selling in our sconlinesales sale April 17th to show what he can do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 9.19.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 9.19.54 PM.png
    670.1 KB · Views: 317

BroncoFan

Lewis_Family_Cattle said:
For clubbies= MAB and Fu man chu are softening up cows up while still adding power.

For shorties= JP Jazz and our bull Sultan will moderate, add depth, rib, and keep look. Or starburst-stouter but some of ours have been a little tighter made if not used on something chunky.

Here's a young sultan steer selling in our sconlinesales sale April 17th to show what he can do.
I think we are going to try Business Done Right. We tried Italian Stallion, I67, Young Money and Final Cut. The results ended up being the same. We figured after much thought and debate that a moderate southern type bull just might work on this one particular cow. Now if she'll just stick AI.

Lewis_Family_Cattle

Cool deal!  We've used some of Horn's bulls and really like them. Flush some to BDR and like the calves, really complete.  He definitely won't add much depth or soften them up but he's clean, stout, and puts a look in them. <rock>

BroncoFan

Lewis_Family_Cattle said:
Cool deal!  We've used some of Horn's bulls and really like them. Flush some to BDR and like the calves, really complete.  He definitely won't add much depth or soften them up but he's clean, stout, and puts a look in them. <rock>
We just need to Stouten and moderate. Our cow is soft enough and deep enough. She's got a lot of bone and foot size too.