Breeding suggestions--clubby

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortybreeder

We've decided it would be fun to breed a couple cows clubby each year to take to a couple shows. I thought it would be fun and interesting to see how you all would breed this Shorthorn cow for a clubby calf? She's probably 14-1500lbs and frame 5.5 to 6.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211023-165732_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211023-165732_Chrome.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 155

shortybreeder

mark tenenbaum said:
How is she bred? O0
Sired by Saskvalley Stampede out of a Saskvalley Roughneck cow from Gar-Lind. I'll consider purebred options, but we'd like to go in the Plus direction with our couple clubby calves--that way we won't be tempted to keep them for our breeding herd.

mark tenenbaum

shortybreeder said:
mark tenenbaum said:
How is she bred? O0
Sired by Saskvalley Stampede out of a Saskvalley Roughneck cow from Gar-Lind. I'll consider purebred options, but we'd like to go in the Plus direction with our couple clubby calves--that way we won't be tempted to keep them for our breeding herd.////WHY NOT IVE SEEN SOME GREAT COWS OUT OF CLUBBY OR THICK SHORTHORN BULLS and we now have a powder substance easy to use that gives a very high percentage of the sex you want Will on here (and Stecks co-owners ) had their National Champion Bull almost RUINED WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE BY A FAT GREEDY PUNK WHO COLLECTS CATTLE,  HAS A BULL STUD, AND WHO THEY PAID TO CARE FOR HIM WHILE BEING COLLECTED-THIS FAT PIG IVFD A BUNCH OF COWS WITHOUT TELLING WILL OR STECK -THEY DIDNT KNOW IF HED EVER BREED AGAIN-MORAL OF THE STORY -Months later after they rescued him from the JOBBA THE HUT OF SHORTHORNS-They took the bull to REI-(one of the best in the US)-Jumped him and got heifer semen first and last 10 straws and very good quality REI is going to use it-SO are Nichols in IOWA-HANDS DOWN THE BEST BULL STUD IN THE US BAR NONE-PM ME on that anyone whos interested in a simple cost effective way to sex AI -Flushing-or collecting a bull -Back to suggestions- MB Steermaker-Steers only low bw-hit or miss on birth canal problems-females AHL Double stuff-Seen MANY good cows-he is not really bad calving-Hes one of the better sized clubby bulls of all of them-He works on the ones Ive seen with Canadian Blood,Aberteees Rockn Roll train-REALLY GOOD low bw calves hes functional thick-clubby and also makes show hiefers -Just not getting his due I owned a full bro to his dam Abertees Awesome-national Spring Calf Champ 2004-HD Bloodstone was third in his class-wish I could have traded for him LOL  Full sib to Rock N roll Train  won louisville-he was way good -Rock Roll Train is DS -which aint no big oogly boogly
  Gas Monkey DS-Just saw a video of him-that dude IS A FREAK ON A LEASH-really surprised me and not a hairball pud-He has worked for a living for quite a while-But very nimble and sound-The video was after he was 7-still out breeding DJS Free For All-Clean-His full sister has produced several recent National Champ females I dont think anyone in thier right mind would cull a good one out of him-BUT THEY ARE AS STOUT AS ANYTHING THERE IS-AND RETAIN A PRETTY FRONT ARE SOUND -AND BIG BUTTED-His mother is THE BOMB and prolific doner -I had 2 daughters both made excellant cows and there would be no reason at all to cull them  DJS Outsider-Same place Free For All Came from-Really needs no intro-one of the most widely used Shorthorns there is-Watch the BWS  Quiet Man-Real beast-won alot of shows-Just TH Wernice has produced a bunch of good ones not a bad calver-puts the color on them FSF perfection is by far the best of a long line of good cattle from there-need a big cow RS After hours-Gizmoxmaine-has sired some really thick cattle at K Kim and elsewhere even me-good bull sound when I saw him at 11 years of age and extremely thick SEMEN IS $10 on Bull Barn  There are alot of choices why go plus? Unless you can buy some of Sullivans good ones like Sull ,Blue Ferrari etc on a sale Or go maine-Mercdes benz-Driven 80 are two of the very best on Horns Then you have black calves-WHY BOTHER? O0

jconner2088

We have gotten down with the clubby shorthorn cross last couple of years. We have several cows that have monopoly in there and man you talk about monopoly on shorthorn works. Seen some very good in god we trust x shorthorns also. I know that no guts no glory is a red carrier so I’m sure on some shorts would be cool as wellWe use a lot of fsf bulls. Near perfect, starquest, perfection and man they have worked on our pure shorthorns. I

shortybreeder

jconner2088 said:
We have gotten down with the clubby shorthorn cross last couple of years. We have several cows that have monopoly in there and man you talk about monopoly on shorthorn works. Seen some very good in god we trust x shorthorns also. I know that no guts no glory is a red carrier so I’m sure on some shorts would be cool as wellWe use a lot of fsf bulls. Near perfect, starquest, perfection and man they have worked on our pure shorthorns. I
I was really hoping to see something like IGWT or Hi Ho Silver pop up here because we would really like to get a cream colored calf with lots of hair for the marketing avenue we have in mind. Since you mentioned Monopoly, do you have any experience with Hi Ho Silver on shorthorns?

Also, how are the temperaments on the IGWT calves?

jconner2088

I haven’t been around any Hi-Ho xshorts before. So that doesn’t help ya. But IGWT have seen a bunch and clipped on a bunch most are pretty bomb proof but there are always a hand full that make you rethink getting down and clipping a sheath. But most a pretty gentle. Have seen a few igwt x shorthorns and a lot are cream to peach with some roan thrown in there. IGWT is king down here in Texas so I get to see a lot of em.

shortybreeder

jconner2088 said:
I haven’t been around any Hi-Ho xshorts before. So that doesn’t help ya. But IGWT have seen a bunch and clipped on a bunch most are pretty bomb proof but there are always a hand full that make you rethink getting down and clipping a sheath. But most a pretty gentle. Have seen a few igwt x shorthorns and a lot are cream to peach with some roan thrown in there. IGWT is king down here in Texas so I get to see a lot of em.
I appreciate the input! His calf videos looked pretty shaggy, would he help put some shag on a cow that's less inclined to throw hair?

mark tenenbaum

We have used a full sib to IN GOD WE TRUST for 5 years and have had maybe 10 out of Shorthorns they are hit and miss-But had 2 pretty good short x heifers WANT CREAM OR YELLOW ROANS- SMOKIN BOB (Ive got three Ill sell LOL) Chunky Monkey (arguably the greatest char x ever for sheer numbers of great ones that is available)Texas Tea IN GOD WE TRUST, BIZ Done Right NO SPIN ZONE (full sib to the ultimate UNAVAILABLE TROUBADOR) and the  other Chris Black Horn etc Texahoma bulls THAT  have ALL been used on Shorthorns-and  a few go back to Shorthorn Cows That being said-1 Nothing will change a Shorthorn more than A CLUBBY DIRTY SHORTHORN or a FULL BLOOD MAINE-but Ive only been doing it this go since 1989 2-The recommendations above (especially JC Connor- he KNOWS SHORTHORNS and HOW TO CROSS THEM) are way better cattle than alot of the Char deals JMO PS STAY AWAY FROM DAKOTA GOLDS-THEY ARE CRAZIER AND MEANER THAN ANY CATTLE ANYONE HAS SEEN SHORT OF SPANISH BULLFIGHT BRED CATTLE  O0