Breeding Suggestions

Help Support Steer Planet:

CowboyPT

Looking for breeding suggestions for this heifer.  She is 3/4 Simmi.  Sire is Grandmaster and dam is a Meyer/Northern Improvement.  I would like to breed her Angus, Simmi or Maine.  Would prefer to have a heifer calf, so sexed female semen options would be great.  Most importantly we would like a live calf for the first go around, but would like to produce a calf that is show quality.  Strengths of this heifer are her power and depth.  Weaknesses are her bold shoulder and some tightness in movement in her hips.  Some suggestions for those who have seen her are I 80, EXAR Upshot, Duff Hobart.  Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 2015-03-17 17.53.16.jpg
    2015-03-17 17.53.16.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 178

b_kackley

If you want to stay simmy with show potential and the semen is available sexed I would look into In Dew Time. Last I knew they had sexed semen on him. The calves have show potential. I do like Hobart. I also really like the Comfort Zones. Tailgater is a simmy that has some potential also. A friend of mine just had two both under 70 lbs and doing well. Good Luck!

gary89

I would breed her to No Remorse.  Not sure about sexed semen availability but if she was mine that's what I would do. Good luck.  Nice heifer!

cpubarn

There have been lots of options.  You spoke about sexed semen.

My favorite way of seeing whats available is to ask Patty @ Cattle visions by email what sexed semen is available and she will email me a report.  This is how I see what is interesting at the different price levels....  Some I would try are below.  Some are pricey, but I really like the 3ml semen, I have good luck with it.  In the last report I got a week ago they had 50+ bulls with sexed semen.  Someday I hope this market grows enough that the 3ml is more common/cheaper.  We need a way to put in an order so a bull owner would know he could sell it.  Angus bulls are the hardest for me to get the 3ml on. It gets old calling the breeder, but sometimes you get lucky or a little pops up on an online sale...

Brilliance 8077 (SAV) (Sexed) 75.00
TLLC One Eyed Jack (3ml. sexed) 125.00
Bush's Unbelievable (Sexed 3ml.) 250.00 - PRICEY...

KKT

Connealy Confidence 0100, Hoover Dam, and The Answer would be my three choices if you do choose to go the Angus route.

EXAR Upshot will likely leave you wanting more in the rear 1/3. Duff Hobart does appear to be a calving ease bull on paper. We just pulled an 87 pounder by Hobart out the side of a heifer last week. The weight was not as much the concern as the wide shoulders and thurls that were not coming out. Last evening I spoke with a friend that just pulled a 150 pound Hobart heifer calf out the side of a first calf Angus heifer.

cowboy_nyk

SAV brilliance would be my choice on her.  Would calve easy, smooth her shoulder, lengthen her neck while maintaining ribshape and sexed semen is available.  Seems like a no brainer.

RankeCattleCo

No worries, you'll get a blaze face dual registered calf. Just had one out of a Grizzly heifer and it mixed well, Unfortunately it was a bull calf but still should be a decent steer prospect

OH Breeder

I used Dream On on my Northern Improvement x 3C macho daughter.She had a heifer. Both females (dam and daughter) are consistent producers. I haven't had a heifer from either yet. Their steers work no matter what i have put on them with low birthweights. 

pweaver

My ABS rep got me sexed Brilliance for $55, or at least it was in January, may be more now.  There's some really cool fronted, future Simi/Angus cows sired by him.  He should fix the bold shoulder whereas Hobart, for instance, might go the other way.  I've got Meyer/Angus, MAB/Who, and Get It Done/4X4 heifers I'm using sexed Brilliance on.  The calving should be easy, decreased chance of defects, and heifers I can sell better these days with no one wanting to invest in steers.

CowboyPT

I really appreciate all the input.  I will begin to research the bulls that have been posted and look forward to more suggestions from each of you.  This has been very helpful to me.  There are many individuals on this site that have good advice and philosophies about show cattle or the Cattle industry in general.