Breeding to Ace of Diamonds or Simple Man

Help Support Steer Planet:

Boot Jack Bulls

My family has been in limis for about 15 years. We have a lot of success using club sires that show a bit of Angus influence on the limi heifers. This seems to add that show ring style that the limis can lack and make for some pretty awesome steer prospects. The  lim-flex(limi x angus) is becoming so popular because they usually have a more main stream look and grow like crazy. Glad to see someone talking about limis though, they don't get much press on a site like steer planet.

showsteerdlux

OH Breeder said:
showsteernc said:
firesweepranch said:
Uhh, beg to differ! Dream On is a heifer deluxe bull! In the top 3% for calving ease....
showsteernc said:
hedgesjp1985 said:
these are the six bulls that I have narrowed down to breed to my heifer
Dream On
Final Choice
Fat Tony
Sherriff Taylor
Simple Man
I-80
I80 is the only heifer bull on that list.
Well, maybe for a Simmi that's good, but from what little I have dealt with them, some of.those DO's can come pretty hard with a big head, big front end and tip the scales pretty heavy. Also, since when do epds tell an accurate story all the time? I will still say I80 is the only calving ease deal on that list.

Not picking any scabs, but how can I-80 be considered rock solid calving ease with one crop out there? I am asking.

We used Dream on ....on angus-simmi heifer I will let you know. But after talking to a lot of people about how he does consistently.... we went for it.  I will let you know how she turns out hopefully the next day or so.
not saying he is rock solid. Also haven't heard of any big train wrecks. When people are using him on these hw and clubbing deals and you still don't here of any big issues, you might be on to something. Good luck with that DO deal. Hope she spits it out for you.

firesweepranch

showsteernc said:
firesweepranch said:
Uhh, beg to differ! Dream On is a heifer deluxe bull! In the top 3% for calving ease....
showsteernc said:
hedgesjp1985 said:
Dream On
Final Choice
Fat Tony
Sherriff Taylor
Simple Man
I-80
Well, maybe for a Simmi that's good, but from what little I have dealt with them, some of.those DO's can come pretty hard with a big head, big front end and tip the scales pretty heavy. Also, since when do epds tell an accurate story all the time? I will still say I80 is the only calving ease deal on that list.

Uh, consistency? Dream on has THOUSANDS of calves out there, and probably more than half are half Angus. I am sure there are a few horror stories out there (as with ANY bull), but I have NEVER heard of one on Dream On. Simmental EPD''s are probably some of the most accurate out there, but if you are not an EPD believer, I'd go with history and consistency, which DO has had tons of both. I'd take that to the bank WAY before using I-80, who has what, two calf crops out there? Sorry, just got to defend one of our breeds greatest (and probably overused) bulls....

hedgesjp1985

Hey thamks guys, really I appreciate all of the advice its great.  The only thing that I have heard about crossing limmi's with simmintals is that you dont want to breed a limmi cow/heifer that is too big to a simmintal that is too big cuz you could get a calf that is going to be just way too big, but my limmi's are on the small side they should mature around 1300 pounds.  I have tried to find calf weights from Dream On typically being in high 70's to low 80's which is right on par with all limmi's.  I also read that Dream On semen is in short supply and that due to his age, and if you want to breed to him you should do so soon.  I am really excited to breed to him. Keep the posts coming. Thanks again.

VCC1

Although nothing is guaranteed, I will tell that you  we bred Simple Man to 4 first calf heifers last year( all club calf bred, 2 were Heatwaves) and we only assisted 1, not because of a big calf, cow did not try.  All calves were born at less than 80 lbs and grew awesome. The amount of vigor these things had was amazing.  Of the 4 SM calves that we had, we sold 2 for club calves( avg. $ 3100) and kept 2 for replacements.  We kept a SM x our Yellow Dr. Who donor that is a freak, as well as a SM x WMW/Simmy.  We are expecting 5 more SM calves this spring to start calving in the next couple of weeks.  We bred him to 2 more Heatwave cows, a Friction/Chill Factor, a Heatseeker/Bring It On, and a Mercedes Benz/Heatwave.  Based on last years experiance, I would breed him to anything that needs hair, body, and power.  I would breed him to a more extreme made type of cow.  If you have any questions about him, feel free to contact me or you can call Garrett Kalvig or Randy Goddard of Goddard Farms as they own him now.  If you would like to see a picture of his mother, she is on our donors page at www.vansicklecattleco.com.

Dave Vansickle

steerjunkie

Amen to Dave's comments
We bred 2 angus cows and 1 angus heifer to Simpleman and all were born unassisted and probably averaged 65#
had 2 heifer and 1 bull calf all calves get better with age. we are actually showing the steer at our county fair.
the steer has rib, bone and butt just gets better with time. Heifers are awesome keeping one as a replacement.
I wish i would have bred back some cows to him but wanted to see how the calves turned out
Will definitley breed more this summer to Simpleman
hey Dave your friend from N Indiana.

CAB

The GC Shorthorn heifer @ the Iowa Beef Expo was a May AOD x Double Stuff Sat. Beat some high $ heifers along the way. I have seen many very good AOD heifers over the last few years & they all have plenty of rib & guts to them IMO.

shortii

I have an AOD March heifer that has tons of rib shape and depth of body. I have had 4 before her all of which came unassisted accept for set of twin heifers where the second calf had to be pulled because she was backward.

hedgesjp1985

So here's the million dollar question who should I breed my limmi heifer to Dream On or Simple Man.  Here is a picture of her

Attachments

• Baby.png
    Baby.png
    804 KB · Views: 185

OH Breeder

OH Breeder said:
showsteernc said:
firesweepranch said:
showsteernc said:
hedgesjp1985 said:
Dream On
Final Choice
Fat Tony
Sherriff Taylor
Simple Man
I-80

Not picking any scabs, but how can I-80 be considered rock solid calving ease with one crop out there? I am asking.

We used Dream on ....on angus-simmi heifer I will let you know. But after talking to a lot of people about how he does consistently.... we went for it.  I will let you know how she turns out hopefully the next day or so.

Well we went out and found this little gal about 60'#s . We haven't got a real good weight on her yet. Thought the heifer was big but she's just fat. SHe really has held her condition whle being preganant. Believe me we are happy no problems. Momma is milking like a machine.

Attachments

• Fancy baby1.jpg
    Fancy baby1.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 128

Latest posts