breeding??

Help Support Steer Planet:

scales17

what to breed to?
i was wondering what seems to be working outhere for everyone out there

we are going to oreder some semen from lautner.. so im sure my question could be answered by him..

but i have a hoo doo cow and was gonna breed her to jimmy the greek, a black tooper cow from kris black and was gonna breed her to i am legend.

a abc cow and was gonna breed her to monopoly..

a abc cow to tiny tim.. cus she is small and will be a first time heifer.

any help on of i should change some stuff let me know!

herefordfootball

I know he's bred for calving ease, and probaly is, but I would definitely go for something with a solid track record for a first calf heifer.
(Tiny Tim)

Chris

kane1598

I would use hairy bear, lifeline, fricition, or carnac on the hoo doo cow. These combinations are proven on hoo do females. I wouldn't use an unproven bull for calving ease either, just my opinion.

scales17

doublestuff- keep your post to yourself

and what do yall reccomend to use for calving ease...  ali??

i dont want to use a angus bull.

showman ne

i'd breed all but the heifer either i am legend or monopoly. for the heifer i'd say ali 2 would be your best bet from Lautner

shortyjock89

ROMAX said:
You could try the HIGHLANDER bull for the heifer.

If you're gonna use Highlander, you might as well use a Lowline (we used one this year!).

Jill

scales17 said:
doublestuff- keep your post to yourself

and what do yall reccomend to use for calving ease...  ali??

i dont want to use a angus bull.

When you post a question, you really can't come back and tell someone to keep their opinion to themself, you asked for advice.

stangs13

There was a real good rocky balboa prospect that came down here during houston that was just as good as the other clubbies that were with him, and im pretty sure he is calving ease..

kane1598

honestly i hate being ont he dirty harry train all the time, but for marketable calves and moderate birth weights, he may be the best bet if you dont want to use Ali's clone. Majors Money man is sure fire for heifers, but honestly its hard to beat northern improvement or legend for functional offspring with great calving ease.

herefordfootball

Gefferts in Wisc. I think they have a page on showsteers.com, and I know they have a pic of Dirty Harry on their website.

We used Dirty Harry on our hannibal heifer, calved 90lbs unassisted, but she has a huge pelvic area and has alot of width in her hip bones. So depending on how your heifer is built I would think long and hard about who I used. I've heard the MJRs Money Man calves come easy and small so that might be a thought depending on what you want to do and how she is built. My opinion and experiences only, take them for what are worth. Good Luck!!!

Chris

TMJ Show Cattle

If you are trying to raise a steer out of a first calf heifer,use TOTAL SOLUTION. Most of the other suggestions such as Money man and certain Ali sons are good also,you tend to get better heifers than steers.

Steer4Caddy

You may be spelling it wrong.  I think it's Dirty Harry.  You will always be better off breeding to a low BW Angus bull for your heifers.  I used 30 straws of Dirty Harry last year but on Second Calf females.  We all should breed some calving ease into our cows if you want to stay in this business for the long term.  Structure is the other issue that the low BW clubby bulls never help.  Look at OCC Just Right.  I've used alot of Northern Improvement and OCC Legend and they are not true calving ease bulls.  We've finally found one that is calving ease and good enough to add quality to our heifers.  The bull in my picture is OCC Eureka X Full Sister to OCC Freestyle.